Alzheimers finally got the best of him - RIP pops!

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
So my dad had been suffering from Alzheimers for a couple of years and he finally passed away 14th November 2019 after a nasty struggle of about a week. He didn't drink or eat anymore and his ability to speak had already been gone for some time. He was also high on morfine most of the time and the day he left he opened his eyes and looked straight at me in a moment of total clarity. I told him that I loved him and that he is my brothers's and my hero for taking care of us so well. and then asked him to close his eyes and go to sleep. His brothers and sisters came to visit as did my brother and his wife. In the evening I visited again and when I entered the room, he had died just a couple of minutes prior. His body was completely warm still. He always was anti-authority and nobody ever told him what to do. Departing us all alone was his last act of saying Fuck you all, I'm doing this my way. RIP old man, you are my champion and I can only hope that I teach my kids the same things you taught me. We'll meet again.

It kinda got me thinking over the last couple of weeks. Work, money and possessions don't mean shit. Family and taking care of your loved ones are the only things in this world that really matter. And speaking those words feels dumb because they are so commonly said. It only ever becomes real when some life event like this makes you stop in your tracks and really think about it.

Sorry for my rant guys. Not looking for sympathy or anything. The anonymity of this forum of like minded fuckheads like myself feels safe somehow.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Alzheimer's is rough man, sorry your dad and your family had to go through that. He doesn't have to suffer any longer and you were there for him though. Take care of yourself the next few weeks.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
So my dad had been suffering from Alzheimers for a couple of years and he finally passed away 14th November 2019 after a nasty struggle of about a week. He didn't drink or eat anymore and his ability to speak had already been gone for some time. He was also high on morfine most of the time and the day he left he opened his eyes and looked straight at me in a moment of total clarity. I told him that I loved him and that he is my brothers's and my hero for taking care of us so well. and then asked him to close his eyes and go to sleep. His brothers and sisters came to visit as did my brother and his wife. In the evening I visited again and when I entered the room, he had died just a couple of minutes prior. His body was completely warm still. He always was anti-authority and nobody ever told him what to do. Departing us all alone was his last act of saying Fuck you all, I'm doing this my way. RIP old man, you are my champion and I can only hope that I teach my kids the same things you taught me. We'll meet again.

It kinda got me thinking over the last couple of weeks. Work, money and possessions don't mean shit. Family and taking care of your loved ones are the only things in this world that really matter. And speaking those words feels dumb because they are so commonly said. It only ever becomes real when some life event like this makes you stop in your tracks and really think about it.

Sorry for my rant guys. Not looking for sympathy or anything. The anonymity of this forum of like minded fuckheads like myself feels safe somehow.
My condolences to you dude.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Sorry for your loss, brother.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Sorry for your loss. Brings a tear just thinking of losing a parent, but it's going to happen to all of us eventually. I hope you find comfort in all of your happy memories!

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
May the memories of your Pops give you strength in the days ahead, especially during the holidays.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Alzheimers is horrible. Your dad sounds like a great man. I'm truly sorry for your loss brother.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your loss. My dad died a few years ago to the same shit.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Dementia sucks, must have been tough on you & your family for years now. Sorry for your loss & hopefully your dad is at peace.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Sucks man, at least you got that moment of clarity with him before he passed. That'll go a long way.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Sending good vibes your way. Heads up stormrider, weather through and prevail. Abrazo

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Stay strong man. My mom died 2 years ago on Nov. 27th, and while dementia was not the cause of her death, she was already showing clear signs of early onset dementia. As others have said, just try and get through each day and know he is no longer suffering.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear this man, in the end something always gets us - body or mind, sometimes both.
I'm headed to the nursing home in a bit here to visit the mother in law, she's had Alzheimers for a good 5 years now. If she eats more than a few bites we are thrilled at this point, it's a terrible condition.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your loss, Gaston. You and your family have my sincere condolences.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Sorry for your loss man. Alzheimers is a horrible disease.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear of your father's passing. I don't have any close relatives with the disease, but, some of the residents at the nursing home where I work have it, so, I'm familiar with the transformation it can make on somebody and how sad and frustrating it is to see them slowly decline like that and lose their grasp on their memories and surroundings.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Sorry for your loss, Gaston.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Sorry for your loss Gaston, condolences to you and the family. Alzheimer’s is really tough and takes a toll on everyone in the family.