AES stick connector: any way to open it up?

ManiG

n00b
I think I tugged on the cable too hard when pulling it out of the console and now most of the buttons stopped working.

There is some “give” where the joystick cable goes into the connector. If I push them together, some of the buttons start working again. So that’s definitely where the problem is.

What should be done here? The 15 pin connector doesn’t seem like it opens up, or does it? Any way I can crack it open to resolder the disconnected pins?

I have an extension cable, so another option is to just cut off the broken connector and patch the cable to the extension. But would like to avoid that.

ManiG

n00b
I don’t actually remember pulling it by the cord, but assuming something like that happened because it was working before I disconnected it.

This is a console I just bought used so for all we know the connector was in rough shape when I got it.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The only system I can think of that does this is the AES. I guess it saves the ports at least…

The AES in general, for being so expensive and having such a L337 rep is kinda build like shit, honesty. The case is brittle, video output varies widely depending on vintage, sticks are very good for the time but not amazing…

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I've fixed one that came to me in non-working condition. I re-stripped the wires and soldered the connections back on before gluing the assembly back together. I sold that one long ago, so hopefully it's still working, wherever it is.

ManiG

n00b
The only system I can think of that does this is the AES. I guess it saves the ports at least…

The AES in general, for being so expensive and having such a L337 rep is kinda build like shit, honesty. The case is brittle, video output varies widely depending on vintage, sticks are very good for the time but not amazing…

Yeah. Many parallels to cars. Amazing and exclusive in so many ways, but shit-tier build quality and reliability. I think of the AES as the Delorean of consoles.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Yeah. Perhaps the RGB quality can be excused since most people didn't use it and they were focused on RF and composite, but for the price...

The other amazing thing is the backwards stereo channels on 3-5 boards. Not to mention they never should have used 5v power supplies; they all should have been internally-regulated to begin with.

I can't think of many consoles from the era with these types of glaring issues. The first thing that comes to mind is the incorrect expansion audio levels on the AV Famicom. Perhaps the piss poor audio quality of later Genesis/MD consoles?

Not to mention SNK's misfires later on: The overheating of the CDZ and incorrect ADPCM-B channels of the YSA2.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah. Many parallels to cars. Amazing and exclusive in so many ways, but shit-tier build quality and reliability. I think of the AES as the Delorean of consoles.

I wouldn’t because the Delorean absolutely sucked at everything. Everything. Also it wasn’t that expensive really.

The Lotus-style car they based on…all reusing 15 year old Toyota taillights and AMC door handles but with highly strung nerd crap under the hood that makes it magic …that’s pretty Neo Geo.

ManiG

n00b
I managed to open up the connector and debug the issue. Turns out the internal pins on the female connector of the extension cord from Stone Age Gamer are too long. They end up going too deep into the holes of the AES connector and pushing out the wires.

Dont buy the extension cord from Stone Age Gamer.

Fucks sake.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I managed to open up the connector and debug the issue. Turns out the internal pins on the female connector of the extension cord from Stone Age Gamer are too long. They end up going too deep into the holes of the AES connector and pushing out the wires.

Dont buy the extension cord from Stone Age Gamer.

Fucks sake.
That sucks. I didn't know the ones they sell at SAG are the shitty ones. The problem was discussed here:

These are the good ones, but might be permanently out of stock:

ManiG

n00b
Ugh wish I knew this. What a pain. Now I have to repair my AES controller. Thanks Alec.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Ugh wish I knew this. What a pain. Now I have to repair my AES controller. Thanks Alec.
I'm in the same boat. I have a pad that won't connect without using one of the better extensions. If anyone knows a good way to fix it, please let me know.

ManiG

n00b
I'm in the same boat. I have a pad that won't connect without using one of the better extensions. If anyone knows a good way to fix it, please let me know.

The hard part is opening up the connector of the joystick. Turned out to be fairly easy if you have a couple super small/sharp flat head screwdrivers. See the video above where he talks about where to push in the screwdriver. Then it's just a matter of pushing the connectors that came out, back into the connector.