AES No Video Signal via Retrotink

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I'm out of town at the moment, so I can't give a detailed description. But I don't recall any egregious jailbars while hooking it up to an older set via composite. I know what bad jailbars can look like; I had a top loader NES back in the day. My games looked like they were doing hard time with that effer. Ha
I don't recall the AES looking anything like that.

But anyway, I'm out of town for a few days, so I can't mess around with it until this weekend. There's likely still a bit more dialing in with the 5x Pro to do with it. I was surprised how many new settings and adjustments there were with the firmware update. It's almost overwhelming.
Im still using a retrotink 2x and loving it, but once im not ADHD inebriated ill read this again and see whether i feel upgrading for my saturn and goobesis would be worthwhile. The 2x served me awesome for my neo before i sold it, and has kicked ass for goobesis and saturn. Dont know i need a higher end thingie, but maybe i do.

Land balls first on a fire hydrant, Zeta. Offer yourself that holier than thou sage advice in the mirror. Fart huffer.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Im still using a retrotink 2x and loving it, but once im not ADHD inebriated ill read this again and see whether i feel upgrading for my saturn and goobesis would be worthwhile. The 2x served me awesome for my neo before i sold it, and has kicked ass for goobesis and saturn. Dont know i need a higher end thingie, but maybe i do.
I never had any issues with the 2x until the AES. So, if it's working for you, cool beans. I love the 2x, and it handled everything else I ever threw at it. It's just my 3-5 aes board is unique apparently, and it took some ridiculous dialing in with the 5x to get it going. Even after getting the 5x and trying it out of the box with the stock firmware, I had all kinds of screen jitter. I needed the latest firmware which offers a lot more customization before I could get it dialed in correctly.

But it looks awesome now, and I'm happy with it. Plus, I like that I can use multiple inputs and have a couple consoles hooked up at the same time. More conducive for my use case. Haven't actually done that yet to test it out though. I really need to pull out my tv stand and do some wire management at some point. It's gotten crazy back there. Ha

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I never had any issues with the 2x until the AES. So, if it's working for you, cool beans. I love the 2x, and it handled everything else I ever threw at it. It's just my 3-5 aes board is unique apparently, and it took some ridiculous dialing in with the 5x to get it going. Even after getting the 5x and trying it out of the box with the stock firmware, I had all kinds of screen jitter. I needed the latest firmware which offers a lot more customization before I could get it dialed in correctly.

But it looks awesome now, and I'm happy with it. Plus, I like that I can use multiple inputs and have a couple consoles hooked up at the same time. More conducive for my use case. Haven't actually done that yet to test it out though. I really need to pull out my tv stand and do some wire management at some point. It's gotten crazy back there. Ha
Does the 5x actually have an on and off switch or is it constantly powered on just like the 2x? It would be nice to not have to swap between whether the saturn or the goobesis is currently hooked up, which is what i currently have to do.

prof

Does the 5x actually have an on and off switch or is it constantly powered on just like the 2x? It would be nice to not have to swap between whether the saturn or the goobesis is currently hooked up, which is what i currently have to do.
Yeah, you can power it on and off. And it comes with a remote, so you can adjust your settings, cycle through different inputs and turn it off and on with that, which is convenient. Definitely some nice ease of life improvements with the 5.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The 2X only outputs 480p. The 5X should be significantly sharper because you aren't relying on the TV's built-in upscaler. That's why I say always go with the 5X.

prof

@maki
Ok, I've spent enough time with the 5x now to have a good feel for it. And again, for those who haven't read the whole thread, my aes is unmodded stock and the 3-5 board, which tend to be fussy and sometimes have poor native rgb. But I don't see any jailbars in the image I'm getting. While the sync in the signal caused me all sorts of problems, now that I have the 5x dialed in, I'm actually quite pleased with the image.

I'm displaying RGB via the Scart cable from Insurrection Industries. Here are some images as best as I can photograph them from my television, but obviously not an exact science vs in motion/in person, ambient lighting, etc. But this gives you a good approximation.

20230630-233651.jpg

20230630-233647.jpg

20230630-232933.jpg

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Looks good. That's screen fill mode. Also give '1080 Over' a try. It's an even 5X integer scale.

prof

Looks good. That's screen fill mode. Also give '1080 Over' a try. It's an even 5X integer scale.
Cool beans, I'll give it a try. For the record, the actual image is a bit sharper than what those photos reveal. There is a bit of lossiness in the photo uploads.