A look back at Terry Bogard's original character designs

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The 25th Anniversary of the Fatal Fury series is upon us and as the year ends what better way to celebrate than to take a quick look back at the original roughs/designs for Terry Bogard:

terry bogard rough 1.jpg

Not sure if the "R" stood for anything on his shirt ("Robert" perhaps? but more on that later.), but it is interesting that as iconic as the hat became, it was not always a part of his original design.

terry bogard rough 2.jpg

This was a rough design of Terry's appearance in Fatal Fury 2. It's interesting how much he resembled aof's Robert and certainly makes Robert's alternate color palette in kofxiii and it's ports worth an extra look:

terry vs robert kofxiii.jpg

fatal fury 25th.JPG

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The 25th Anniversary of the Fatal Fury series is upon us and as the year ends what better way to celebrate than to take a quick look back at the original roughs/designs for Terry Bogard:

View attachment 41502

Not sure if the "R" stood for anything on his shirt ("Robert" perhaps? but more on that later.), but it is interesting that as iconic as the hat became, it was not always a part of his original design.

View attachment 41503

This was a rough design of Terry's appearance in Fatal Fury 2. It's interesting how much he resembled aof's Robert and certainly makes Robert's alternate color palette in kofxiii and it's ports worth an extra look:

View attachment 41504

View attachment 41505

thats funny. That palette fits that old design prefectly.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
This is weird. These look lots older than 1991.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
terry was highly inspired by many characters. especially cody from final fight. so it would make sense that his early concept art looked very similar to cody.

View attachment 41502

cody-ffcd.png

also steven seagal was a big inspiration for a lot of the snk characters.

above-the-law.jpg
View attachment 41503

steven_seagal.jpg
453835b44ec2fe7710e2c0e26302bea1copia.png

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
i always thought SNK's representation of masculinity was really awesome and sexy.

DOES ANYONE HAVE THOSE TOSHIAKI MORI ILLUSTRATIONS OF THE SNK CHARACTERS HANGING OUT IN JAPAN BUBBLE ERA CLOTHES AND STUFF? It was posted on this forum, in some Shinkiro appreciation thread years ago probably back when I joined.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
terry was highly inspired by many characters. especially cody from final fight. so it would make sense that his early concept art looked very similar to cody.

Sup bogard! Considering T. Nishiyama and his team were responsible for Street Fighter 1, and Final Fight began as the sequel/spinoff title Street Fighter 89, it is possible that Cody and Terry were created/inspired via the same character designer(s) who left with Nishiyama to join SNK and start the garou series. I really wish we could confirm more from that era of japanese game development.

Off topic: Damn, I haven't seen a steven seagal movie in ages :lolz:

i always thought SNK's representation of masculinity was really awesome and sexy.

DOES ANYONE HAVE THOSE TOSHIAKI MORI ILLUSTRATIONS OF THE SNK CHARACTERS HANGING OUT IN JAPAN BUBBLE ERA CLOTHES AND STUFF? It was posted on this forum, in some Shinkiro appreciation thread years ago probably back when I joined.

Sup sylvie, I have a ton of that stuff and can repost if the old thread can't be found.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Sup bogard! Considering T. Nishiyama and his team were responsible for Street Fighter 1, and Final Fight began as the sequel/spinoff title Street Fighter 89, it is possible that Cody and Terry were created/inspired via the same character designer(s) who left with Nishiyama to join SNK and start the garou series. I really wish we could confirm more from that era of japanese game development.

Off topic: Damn, I haven't seen a steven seagal movie in ages :lolz:

Sup sylvie, I have a ton of that stuff and can repost if the old thread can't be found.

yea just post it the search feature on this forum is fucking dumb or something

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yes,2016's noob of the year here folks. loving it brother. keep it up.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
yes,2016's noob of the year here folks. loving it brother. keep it up.

yeah, blackaneseninja get's my vote. i'm impressed by his knowledge on the neo, especially with the fatal fury series. a true enthusiast.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
+1, he is actually digging the mooks he bought, instead of leaving them in a shelf...quality posts.

3havoc

n00b
Nice info to know, always enjoy seeing early concept designs and comparing them to the final version.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thanks everyone. Glad that others are enjoying the input.

Here's some of the requested art:

Terry taking a break from some baseball.
terry bogard baseball.jpg

Extras:
terry and friends.jpg

kyo team lounge.jpg

Gotta get me a pair of "Bruce Lee" jeans like that too.
kyo getting ready.jpg

Last edited: