3DS and fighters

Ok i got a 3ds and the street fighter game but i am not to amazed at it? felt rushed or maybe it is because it is on a handheld and not a home console. What are your thoughts on fighters being on handheld systems? Note: KoF Neo Blood was amazing on the GB SP

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Dead or Alive Dimensions (3DS) is probably the best portable fighter there is. It can be had for 15-20 retail and is a damn bargain at that price. Here's why it's good: No one wants (or should) play a serious fighter on their handheld. That shit is reserved for joystick jockeys and lag free environments. DOA has a serviceable albeit hilarious story mode and the fighting is silky smooth and quick. Don't bother with the 3D slider, it looks like ass.

DOA 5+ for the Vita might beat it out in the Spring, but Dimensions is really my go to game for handheld fighting. SFxTekken and BlazBlue on vita are good choices, but a little too twitchy for handheld gaming.

If Tekken is your thing, there's polished version of the Tekken 6 engine on the 3DS called Tekken Prime. I think it can also be had <$20. Enjoy!

I've recently picked up a NG Pocket Color and the fighters on it are very entertaining, especially Capcom vs SNK and Gal Fighters.

Ben Richards

New Challenger
I agree with Dead or Alive being the best fighter for the 3ds. I have SF, Blazblue, and Tekken, and I keep coming back for DOA. They have download challenges and did have DL costumes for free. Well worth the price, especially since it is pretty cheap now.

Linkloz

n00b
I thought SF4 on the 3ds was a great port actually. It runs very well and its online always seemed to work great for me. They added some nice novelty features for fans looking to get something different out of a handheld version of SF4 with the street pass features and the 3d fighting mode. Certainly it's not as good as sitting down with a fight stick, but it still plays great. Fighting games lend themselves really well to jump in and jump out play, so being on a handheld should seem like a natural fit.

I'll echo the sentiment of others in saying that DOA is fantastic. Just keep the 3d slider off(it reduces the fps from 60 to 30) and you're golden. The vita has a few excellent ports of fighters like blaz blue and it's dpad is quite nice. There are also some good grips for both handhelds if you find either uncomfortable to hold.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
DOA is indeed great on 3DS. But honestly, I have no interest to even try SF4. I bought SSF4 on ps3 and have yet to even play through with every character one time. I just got bored. I've always loved SF in the past, but it just felt empty to me somehow.

So imo, the problem may be with SF4 specifically rather than portable fighters in general.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
DOA is indeed great on 3DS. But honestly, I have no interest to even try SF4. I bought SSF4 on ps3 and have yet to even play through with every character one time. I just got bored. I've always loved SF in the past, but it just felt empty to me somehow.

So imo, the problem may be with SF4 specifically rather than portable fighters in general.

I love SFIV. That game scratches an itch with me like no other game. The 3DS port was meh, though. Online sucked and I hated the automatic button thing. The backgrounds were lame as was the "3D" mode. But if you don't like SF4 to begin with, this game isn't going to impress.

As far as fighters go on handhelds though, I usually prefer the big boy version when I want to go online, if not some handheld fighters are fine. I really liked UMvC3 on the Vita, and I am waiting for a price drop for SFxT on the Vita as well.