2015 holiday spirits, what's on tap?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Booker's is the bourbon stores love to treat like its made of unicorn milk. I've seen it as high as $100/bottle in some places. Most are in the $65 range…which is still too high for me. Costco has it for $45, which is perfect for this in my opinion. Barrel proof and so full of flavor, I'll gladly shell out $45 for a bottle.

Just picked up a bottle of Booker's and oh man! That is some tasty stuff.

Very classy looking presentation too.

YZmYYKE.jpg

Was lucky to grab the last bottle in stock at the local liquor store (just under $45); hadn't seen it before.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Had a shot of Laphroaig 10 last night during an outing with friends (and a shitload of different beers)... GOOD STUFF. It totally is worlds better than quarter cask imo. Laphroaig hath redeemed itself.

Got a few nice single malts as gifts over the holidays- a Glenlivet 12 and a Macallan 15 year Oak. Just bought a bottle of Angel's Envy as well as I've been hearing good things.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Smoke if you like Booker's I HIGHLY suggest you check out Old Grandad 114. Also made by Beam and is the same mashbill as Booker's with a nice high proof. Tastes pretty much exactly the same but comes in around $20-25. Get in there.

Also lemme get your leftover blanton's

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Smoke if you like Booker's I HIGHLY suggest you check out Old Grandad 114. Also made by Beam and is the same mashbill as Booker's with a nice high proof. Tastes pretty much exactly the same but comes in around $20-25. Get in there.

Man ol' grandad has some serious bite; it's shit compared to Bookers but it still packs a punch. Around here it's $10 to $15 for a 750.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Man ol' grandad has some serious bite; it's shit compared to Bookers but it still packs a punch. Around here it's $10 to $15 for a 750.

I'm talking about the new 114 proof version, not the junk.

image.jpeg

Beam is doing a big price hike on it when the next batch is released cause they realized they f'ed up.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

The Blantons is really growing on me...it's super smooth neat.

Per your recommendation, while I was up in Chicago I found a bottle of the Old Grandad 114. Paid $22 for it.

Good stuff, super spicy and the high proof packs a wallop. I'm going to compare it to Bookers tonight. Straight smell, the Bookers is softer...which is odd figuring it has much spice to it.

Either way, $22/bottle for 114 proof bourbon that doesn't taste like shit is a good deal...

*EDIT*

Ok...sat down with the two yesterday, side by side. I begin with the thought that they both need some water, the OGD is hot...the Booker's is silly hot. Just too much to really take it all in neat.

As for the taste...they're darn near completely different. OGD is sweeter, spicy, high rye taste. Booker's is also spicy as all hell, ton's of cinnamon in there...but the barrel flavor is completely different than OGD. That's what hit's you first with Booker's, the barrel. OGD does have an odd "bitter" aftertaste to it as well.I noticed that there first time I had it and it was there again last night.

In the end, the OGD is good...tons of bite, tons of spice. 100% you thing if you're into rye (I am not). All things being equal, for the same price (or less), I can get Weller Antique 107...being "wheated", its so much softer and more caramel.

It's a good buy though, especially figuring the proof. I'll probably make some seriously strong cocktails with it. I bet it will be superb in an old fashioned.

Last edited: