2 mvs carts need fixing!

Hrvat9

n00b
hey guys, new to this forum, on klov for a bit but haven't been able to get some answers. always come here to get mvs help.
no stranger to arcades so got a 4 slot a couple months back, best purchase I've made in the arcade world.

1.now i bought a metal slug x and a fatal fury3 both in non working condition off the bay. from this forum i had learned that a bubble in the centre of a chip means its toast.. hence this picture. used the light to kinda make it visible, p1 has the bubble in the middle. i have to get a chip made for p1 yes? can anyone burn that for me and tell me how much it'll be?

2. fatal fury 3 coins up and plays, sound works but you can't see anything on the screen...-_-. until you get to the actual fight, squares pop up in the corners of the screen, assuming they're for the characters faces. if the game loads that means the PROG board is good right? what are the video chips then that would cause this to not work if they're on the CHA board? boards look mint regardless...

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
There's no guarantees that your Altera MAX chip didn't go bad as well which is usually the case with the PROGEOP. In order to use an eprom you will have to remove the remaining good chips off of the PROGEOP and transplant them on a PROGBK1 PCB which is the same PROG board your FF3 has.
The problem with your Fatal Fury 3 lies on the CHA256 board. Make sure your jumper positions on that board match the Fatal Fury 3 @ MVS scans.
BB

Hrvat9

n00b
There's no guarantees that your Altera MAX chip didn't go bad as well which is usually the case with the PROGEOP. In order to use an eprom you will have to remove the remaining good chips off of the PROGEOP and transplant them on a PROGBK1 PCB which is the same PROG board your FF3 has.
The problem with your Fatal Fury 3 lies on the CHA256 board. Make sure your jumper positions on that board match the Fatal Fury 3 @ MVS scans.
BB

I'm hoping it didn't go! so I wouldn't be able to see if this board is still functional anymore ? Well of course unless if someone has a spare metal x p1 chip...hint hint :).
I just checked the scans for the CHA fatal fury3 and everything seems good :/ there's 4 board sets and 1,2 and 4 all have a wire soldered to the M1 chip; either from the top right pins (which looks like they're pulled out of the board) to the bottom left pin or from top right pins (also pulled out) to the pc2 jumper that's under the c2 chip. Mine doesn't have that wire...assuming that was some kind of fix? Can anyone shed some light on this?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I actually may be able to help you with an original replacement p1 chip. I am just trying to locate it now. I will drop you a PM when I find it.
BB

Hrvat9

n00b
I agree with Big Bear....use your FF3 ProgBK1 to fix the MSX. Those Altera chips are not very reliable.
You can get an eprom from Fox- http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?253244-FS-Eprom-Burning-Services
Here is the MSX ProgBK1 repair- http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?233095-Metal-Slug-X-fix-(dead-Altera-chip)

thanks for the link to fox! definitely will be needing that service in the future. I've never played fatal fury3 though and would like to have it working, it seems like it would be something simple since the game actually works but no picture..:(
here are the pics of the 2 ff3 boards, like i said earlier the jumper seem correct from mvs scan

Last edited: