161 cart set up question

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Getting my 1st cabinet on the weekend delivered. I have a 161 cart I've saved for it. My question is I want to have the cabinet set up at work to take quarters, does it work the same way as any other mvs cart plugged in? Any setting I need to adjust?
Sorry for nub questions but never owned a cabinet before.

Thanks in advance.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
It will work exactly the same as any other cart in there

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
It will work exactly the same as any other cart in there

Pope is correct. As a few side notes to be aware of for the 161-in-1, To change games hold the player 1 button down for roughly 5 seconds to kick back to the game selection menu. If you are using this cart on 2 or 4 slot MVS it should play fine but you can not have any other carts in the other slots or else you may run into trouble, depends on the MVS board and what games you have in the slots. As a last note sometimes the cartridge PCB boards are thicker and cause tight fits in the slots. you may need to file the edges to get a proper fit. This is more common if you are putting the cartridge in a 1 slot.

There have been few posts on the 161-in-1 like these here:

Slot issues
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ns-(fixing-161-in-1-to-work-with-other-carts)

Filing edges (post 636)
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?222475-161-in-1-Game-Breakdown/page26

Last edited:

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Awesome thanks for the help. It's a 1 slot. Looking forward to getting it.

Thanks.

Just be sure to check its not too tight of a fit or it may cause issues. ;)

What kind of issues? I just picked up a "Big Red" 6 slot MVS this past weekend. I have a 161 in 1 cart and it took several attempts fiddling with it to get it to work. It's pretty snug in slot 1, and I had to take all the other games out.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
What kind of issues? I just picked up a "Big Red" 6 slot MVS this past weekend. I have a 161 in 1 cart and it took several attempts fiddling with it to get it to work. It's pretty snug in slot 1, and I had to take all the other games out.

A cart fitting too tight may damage the slot or wear it too fast. Also, this 161 cart draws more power than regular carts so it might need to be the only cart if you use a multi-slot MVS board. Finally, remember that the 5-second-to-menu thing does not work if you have a memory card inserted in the machine.

Regards.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
A cart fitting too tight may damage the slot or wear it too fast. Also, this 161 cart draws more power than regular carts so it might need to be the only cart if you use a multi-slot MVS board. Finally, remember that the 5-second-to-menu thing does not work if you have a memory card inserted in the machine.

Regards.

I didnt know that last part! (not that I have a memory card any longer) Thanks

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
6 Slots are also notoriously known for issues. I would be on guard using a 161 in a 6 slot just because those damn things are so fickle. Personal preference though.

Regards.

Thank you for the advice, friend. I'm just getting started on this awesome Neo Geo journey! Any other suggestions for the noob 6 slotter?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thank you for the advice, friend. I'm just getting started on this awesome Neo Geo journey! Any other suggestions for the noob 6 slotter?

Yep. I've read that 6-slots are notoriously unreliable. You some times have to juggle cartridges for the to get recognized properly, or leave slots empty or switch cartridges to other slots to get them working well. Don't get me wrong, the 6-slot is a great machine, but it seems they are more fitted to be inside a coin-op where they stay untouched for weeks or months than to be consolized or have home use, where you keep changing cartridges constantly. My only advice would be get a 1-slot if you want a nice console, and leave the 6-slot for your cabinet with few changes to the game list. If interested, Xian Xi here makes great consolized MVSs, also shadowkn55.

Regards.