16 bit Baseball recommendations?

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Hey guys, I've been playing so much Baseball Stars Professional on the Neo lately. Something about that game is just so fun and addictive for me. I don't want to kill that one game so I was thinking about picking up some other old baseball games. I haven't really played any others in years so I kind of forget most of the names. Anyone want to recommend me some good baseball games on the Genesis, Snes, maybe even Game Boy Advance?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Super Baseball 2020 on the SNES. Actually, the Ken Griffey games on the SNES are good games and Super Baseball Simulator 1.000. I didn't have a Genesis back then so I don't know which baseball games are good there.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Super Baseball 2020 on the genny is good also. Tommy Lasorda isn't bad, it's the sequel to the Master System game Reggie Jackson baseball. World Series Baseball/Sports Talk Baseball series is great if you want a decent sim/arcade type. But if you're looking more for the arcade quick type, stay with the ones I mentioned.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Other than Baseball Stars(NES), Baseball Stars Pro and Baseball Stars 2, the only other baseball game I really enjoyed was Baseball Simulator 1.000 on the NES.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
World Class Baseball on the TG16, or any of the Power League games on the PCE.
Sports Talk Baseball on the Genesis.

Honestly, I think that the NES version of Baseball Stars 2 is better than anything on the 16-bit systems (and is NOTHING like the Neo-Geo version), but that's just my opinion.

Edit: Tommy LaSorda is also pretty good, but it just a port of one of the Power League games. I think it was called "Super League" in Japan.

Last edited:

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be checking these games out. One good thing about sports games is they usually can be found pretty cheaply. Now I remember I used to have Sportstalk baseball for Genesis but lost the cart years ago. I still have World Class Baseball for Turbo but no working system at the moment. Think I'm going to fix that and pick up a hucard system while my broken Duo collects dust.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball on SNES since it pretty much ripped off Baseball Stars 2 (except no power ups) It doesn't have real player roster names but if your anal retentive you can change every name to who it's supposed to be since they left the stats and player likeness the same (for almost all of them). It has full season mode as well.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Griffey is the best stuff. The Power Pro games are worthy of a mention. Goofy and fun stuff.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Has anyone ever played Downtown Nekketsu Baseball Monogatari? That seems like the most interesting one not already mentioned.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Best baseball games per system

NES - RBI ( Best Baseball Game Ever Made)
SNES- Ken Griffey (1st one)
Genesis - World Series for Sim Super Baseball 2020 for generic arcade fun
Saturn - World Series Baseball 2

madman

Best baseball games per system

NES - RBI ( Best Baseball Game Ever Made)
Ban plz. Send me your address of where you live in Chicago so I can come smack some sense into you.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ban plz. Send me your address of where you live in Chicago so I can come smack some sense into you.

RBI is great on the NES, make sure you're not getting it mixed up with MLB which was absolute garbage but kinda looked the same. Hell, RBI was made by Namco, ran for many years in Japan as Family Stadium if I'm not mistaken.

P.S. I hope you're a big guy, cause Mr. B ain't little by any stretch of the imagination.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
RBI Baseball is pretty good, but it is far from the best on the system.

madman

I remember RBI as a kid, rented it a bunch of times, but I thought Baseball Stars and Simulator 1.0000 were better. RBI had the MLB license which was cool at the time, but best baseball game ever? Not even the best baseball game on the NES.

SAKAMOSTRO

Rugal's Thug
I remember RBI as a kid, rented it a bunch of times, but I thought Baseball Stars and Simulator 1.0000 were better. RBI had the MLB license which was cool at the time, but best baseball game ever? Not even the best baseball game on the NES.
Same here man, loved and played the crap out of RBI baseball on the NES. Going to the 16-bit subject, I loved tony larussa baseball on the sega genesis, the quality of the game I still remember to this day. Cheers!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Has anyone ever played Downtown Nekketsu Baseball Monogatari? That seems like the most interesting one not already mentioned.

I have. I passed on it so quickly that I'm far from expert, but I'm a big Nekketsu and sport game fan. I wouldn't recommend this game. I got the game a long time ago, before gameplay videos (or even before seeing screenshots), and I had a big "What the fuck" reaction. Technos got really technical during the SFC era - pulled it off well with Dodgeball, but the execution for Baseball was not what I enjoyed. If you had the opposite expectation I had, say you really like Japanese baseball simulation games but want more action, then you'd probably like this a lot. If you were looking for a regular baseball game with dabs of comedy violence, then this is not for you (get an NES and play BaseWars instead).

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Aw, that's too bad. I'll have to give it a spin on an emulator to see if it suits my tastes differently, as I had high hopes.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Super Bases Loaded 2 for SNES is pretty good. Also has a lot of customization/season shit if you're into that.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Aw, that's too bad. I'll have to give it a spin on an emulator to see if it suits my tastes differently, as I had high hopes.

I'd love to hear your experience when you try it - especially if you like it. I never played 2p, but I've seen videos of people playing against each other with emulators. Perhaps a rival adds to the experience.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
RBI was all right, but there are better games on the NES. Agreed the Baseball Stars games were good on the system, but I preferred SNK's Little League Baseball. Base Wars was also a lot of fun. Robot baseball with Blades of Steel-esque fighting. Of course I haven't played that one in years, so it might not be as fun as I remember. Little League is still a blast though.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
We used to play (still do) so much Little League Baseball it was unreal.

Hitting a homerun was a double win as you got to yell "boobies"

tNPcUeU.jpg