Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Based and Terry-pilled

That movie popped up out of nowhere in my mind and I thought Wow that was a fucked up one I'd watch on HBO or Cinemax in the late 90s. Read the wiki for it and yeah, yeesh. Typical King "I'll read his books but keep him away from my kids" fare. If there's an unrated director's cut I wouldn't mind watching it though, apparently had to cut a lot to get an R rating.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Dune 2 is movie of the year... so far. The religious and superstitious combination is well done. Dat knife fight and Christopher Walking bow down scene! Chefs kiss

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Infested

This was a solid as hell spider-based Horror flick. It starts off pretty simple with a small spider getting loose in a low-income housing complex and every 15 minutes or so those spiders multiply and increase in size to the point of absurdity near the end. It plays out almost exactly like you'd expect, but there are a lot of tense moments and one really great set piece that make it worth the time for sure.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
The Black Coat's Daughter
Pretty bland supernatural horror movie that's exceedingly light on the supernatural. The setup had potential: two boarding school girls stuck in the dorms while everyone else is on vacation and spooky things are happening. Oh well. Definitely near-bottom tier A24, IMO.

The Monster
Cujo but it's a head on a stick / rubber suit monster. It's practically a b-movie. I can't believe this turd got good reviews.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Black Coat's Daughter
Pretty bland supernatural horror movie that's exceedingly light on the supernatural. The setup had potential: two boarding school girls stuck in the dorms while everyone else is on vacation and spooky things are happening. Oh well. Definitely near-bottom tier A24, IMO.
You're nuts, that's one of the best horror movies of the last decade. It's subtle, not bland.

fake

15 Year Member
You're nuts, that's one of the best horror movies of the last decade. It's subtle, not bland.
Subtle would be if there was something more to what was being hinted at. All we got was an evil boiler and a Monsters Inc shadow. That's what I'm saying about the setup. Rumors about the employees being devil worshipers and stuff like that. It should have been way more conspiratorial and the secrets should have unraveled.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Subtle would be if there was something more to what was being hinted at. All we got was an evil boiler and a Monsters Inc shadow. That's what I'm saying about the setup. Rumors about the employees being devil worshipers and stuff like that. It should have been way more conspiratorial and the secrets should have unraveled.
I hate to sound like a jerkass but I think you might have missed the entire point/concept of the movie.

fake

15 Year Member
I hate to sound like a jerkass but I think you might have missed the entire point/concept of the movie.
I’m open to being enlightened. You brought me around on After Dark

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I attempted watching Rampage and fell asleep halfway through. My wife wants me to take her to the newest Planet of the Apes movie as part of her birthday present. I tried to convince her we just watched a film with an ape in it...wasn't that close enough?

She wasn't amused. I've never seen any of the (seemingly endless) Planet of the Apes films. Never had any interest, but I'll go in cold turkey and see how it plays out in a couple weeks. Still think my Rampage argument held plenty of water.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Ed Wood

Not much to say here as I could go on for pages about my adoration of this film. It is legit my favorite film of all-time and not only a piece I consider to be honestly beautiful in an artistic sense, but also infinitely rewatchable at any given time. Nearly every single scene in this film has been burned into my brain and it makes me a very happy person every single time I watch it.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I attempted watching Rampage and fell asleep halfway through. My wife wants me to take her to the newest Planet of the Apes movie as part of her birthday present. I tried to convince her we just watched a film with an ape in it...wasn't that close enough?

She wasn't amused. I've never seen any of the (seemingly endless) Planet of the Apes films. Never had any interest, but I'll go in cold turkey and see how it plays out in a couple weeks. Still think my Rampage argument held plenty of water.
There are 3 different groups of Planet of the Apes movies.

Original series:
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)

Tim Burton remake:
Planet of the Apes (2001)

Reboot series:
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024)

The original films are very hit and miss. The Burton remake is shit.

But the reboot series? The first three were absolutely fantastic and they hold up against any other trilogy of science fiction films you want to bring up. You should absolutely watch those three before you go see Kingdom.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I prefer the old ones and you should watch them first if you're new to the series. Didn't watch War for the Planet of the Apes yet but rewatched the Burton lately. Never start with reboots or remakes.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I just watched the Burton Apes for the first time last week. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The twist ending resembles the original novel more than the '68 movie's does. Which is odd, because the rest of the movie definitely adapts the '68 movie, not the novel.

I'm not calling it a hidden gem or anything, but I thought it was going to be a lot worse. I'd probably be just as inclined to rewatch it as Escape or Conquest, and probably more inclined than Battle.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I’m open to being enlightened. You brought me around on After Dark
All the occult stuff that is alluded to isn't really important.

Who is the girl in the car, who is giving her the ride and and why is she going to the school?

fake

15 Year Member
All the occult stuff that is alluded to isn't really important.

Who is the girl in the car, who is giving her the ride and and why is she going to the school?
Oh, well maybe I’ll be the jerkass now but I saw that from a thousand miles away.

The deepest I think I can say the movie goes is that the priest guy actually set the whole thing up. I’m basing this off the title of the movie. He chose Emma Thompson to do his bidding for the devil and somehow killed her parents to give her the opportunity to do what she did.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Back in the 90s I loved when Sci Fi channel would have Planet of the Apes week, showing one movie each night, hosted by Roddy McDowall.

@famicommander so the 2017 film was enjoyable if you liked the other two reboots? I will have to check it out.

You forgot to mention the Planet of the Aprs tv series in your post :emb:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oh, well maybe I’ll be the jerkass now but I saw that from a thousand miles away.

The deepest I think I can say the movie goes is that the priest guy actually set the whole thing up. I’m basing this off the title of the movie. He chose Emma Thompson to do his bidding for the devil and somehow killed her parents to give her the opportunity to do what she did.
Just to clarify you did catch that Emma Roberts is in a completely separate future timeline than anything happening at the school?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Back in the 90s I loved when Sci Fi channel would have Planet of the Apes week, showing one movie each night, hosted by Roddy McDowall.

@famicommander so the 2017 film was enjoyable if you liked the other two reboots? I will have to check it out.

You forgot to mention the Planet of the Aprs tv series in your post :emb:
Yes, the 2017 film was excellent. In my opinion each movie of the reboot trilogy was better than the previous one.

I never actually saw the Planet of the Apes TV series or the cartoon so I don't know if they're any good or if/how they connect to the movies.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I never actually saw the Planet of the Apes TV series
It was okay. It reused the costumes from the movies, and in terms of production quality, it's about equal or maybe even a little better than Battle for the Planet of the Apes. For however little that's worth. But I remember it being completely episodic like most tv series of the day; there was no continuing storyline. And the first thing I always think about whenever I remember the show is that it used a literal shitton of undercranking every time they had an action sequence. It stood out to me even as a 6 year old watching these reruns in syndication and before I even knew what undercranking was.

I have no memory of the cartoon, other than being aware it existed. I don't think I ever saw an episode.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Just checking and I found the entire cartoon series on youtube.

Animation is kind of a similar style to Jonny Quest, but not quite as good. One of the astronauts is played by Austin Stoker from Assault on Precinct 13.

edit: watching some, and Doug Wildey was involved in the production, which explains why it resembles Jonny Quest. Yeah, I definitely never watched this before.

Last edited: