Saroo HDLoader For Saturn - Any Good?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Watched a couple of YT vids about it, it's a cartridge with a SD card that lets you play ISOs of the games, comes with builtin 1/4 MB memory expansion and some other stuff.

Anyone ever used one or can add some infos here? There are other options like Fenrir that seem more compatible but you have to swap out the CD drive for it.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
So the hardware that's out there is some bootleg AliExpress shit with no real quality control and the game compatibility can vary wildly depending solely on what vendor you buy it from. The guy that originally worked on the project is still out there coming up with firmware updates to fix issues but not all of the carts that are out there are guaranteed to be able to even take those updates.

The only real upside to them is that they're cheap as shit. You can find them for $60ish dollars. I bought one of the recommended ones just to screw around with. That said, I would definitely stick with the Fenrir Duo. Near 100% game compatibility and easily acquirable.

The MODE is Terraonion's version which is more expensive and, frankly, fuck them. The Satiator is a similar thing that uses the VCD port (don't have to take out the disc mechanism) but they're stupid expensive ($250+) and have their own compatibility issues.

Honestly, if you really care about your disc drive, just buy a Fenrir Duo and an extra Saturn. It's cheaper than just buying a Satiator. and a better user experience

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Satiator doesn't play the MPEG games and the Saroo only plays 80 games I think.
Fenrir or Mode are the best options. I have a Mode in one of my Dreamcasts and like it. Probably won't buy a second one for my Saturn.

My GD-ROM Dreamcast didn't get any playtime since I bought an ODE. Will sell the DC & Saturn games and keep the hardware with ODE.
I'm leaning to a Fenrir myself.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Thanks for setting things straight, guys.

Apparently, the Saroo project has trundled along for several years now but recently, the hardware and firmware got a major update and now compatibility seems to be way better, it supports a large number of games according to various sources, basically seems to do the trick. For what it's worth, there's an Elite version now that has all the new bells and whistles, but yeah, most people who have dabbled with one report various problems with firmware versions.

Still, the price is tempting...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
If I had a PAL Saturn, would it be possible to play JPN and US games in 60Hz with Saroo?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If I had a PAL Saturn, would it be possible to play JPN and US games in 60Hz with Saroo?
From what I've tested, it seems like the Pro Action Replay function to disable the region lockout is always active. My USA Saturn was loading Japanese ISOs just fine.

deviljin102

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
I might get this although I have the fenrir. But not a bad solution for those that don't want to open their Saturn.

Moob Butter

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
You probably already seen this video Tak, it does look pretty good for the cash. So long as you get a good card, with an up to date firmware installed.

It’s pretty simple to 50/60hz mod a PAL Saturn, which is a must. I’d get a switchless kit.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Honestly, if you really care about your disc drive, just buy a Fenrir Duo and an extra Saturn.

Best answer. The real no brainer. I think there’s a way to keep the disc drive with fenrir. I’m too lazy to google. Pretty much works with anything you throw at it.

Lamprey

n00b
Just my 2 cents..

I have both the Finrir and a Saroo.

I think the Fenrir is great - It is 100% (or nearly) compatible with all the games. It has a nice UI. The only real down side is that you have to open up your Saturn to install it. If you want to play games that need to expansion cart (1/4 MB) then you also need one of those (SaturnKai).

The Saroo works well. I don't know the exact compatibility percentage, but it is up there and climbing. The loading is faster than the Fenrir. The downside, for me, is the menu. It is functional, but if they could copy the Fenrir menu or do one better, I'd really love it. Besides the loading speed, the major advantage that the Saroo has is (in addition to also emulating/taking the place of the expansion cartridge) that it acts as memory cartridge as well. As far as I know, that means virtually unlimited saves wthout having to worry about clearing space of the Saturns internal storage (and you can back it up off the SD card). This, to me, this is the game changer.

Since I have booth, if there is a game that the Saroo can't play, I can always fallback to the Fenrir. Although, I haven't tried anything that the Saroo hasn't played. Admittedly, I've only had the Saroo for a couple of weeks and only played about 10 different games. So, YMMV.

I think the fenrir is very cool, looks good (menu) and just works. The Sarro with it's unlimited saves and speed will probably be my go-to for now on. If I didn't already have a fenrir or a saroo, I'd get a saroo.

Cheers!