Surviving Capitalism, part ??

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I think you all know, that I know, this is the last place for real life to be taken seriously. Anyway, shit's serious right now.

Last year I was encouraged by an old friend and coworker to apply at a company he'd been working at for a few years. I had always had a good working and personal relationship with the dude, and about a year ago the company offered me a solid pay bump to come over. I interviewed and took the job, and I actually was excited about taking it.

The good stops there. The supervisor I was under, which was the same boss as my old "friend" reported to, was immediately awful. She literally told me on my first shift that she didn't enjoy engineering and only got a degree in it because her teachers told her to. I can deal with that if someone is good with people, but, she didn't exactly have a passion for being a good people manager either. She pulled so much shady stuff, tried to put me on an "unofficial not a PIP PIP" 91 days into employment, and then denied me HR access for the "unofficial" performance meeting. I knew this was shady, I'm not dumb. This same manager also reported me to HR for failing to record sick days when I had a gas leak at my house, informed her directly, and literally reported all of the days. My old "friend" at the time told me this was all classic behavior for her, she had probably been in trouble before, and told me detailed stories of her retaliating against people; especially ones who used any health leave like FMLA.

I filed an internal complaint with plenty of evidence of her behaviour and retaliation. She questioned my dental work, was mad that I missed time for a covid vaccine. Reporting it internally was my first mistake. They put on a good show in training to make you comfortable reporting it to them; clearly so they can dodge liability, but still. Credit where it's due I guess; I should have just sued then. Their internal ethics board told me over and over they had to keep interviewing more people for evidence. In all actuality they deemed they should just wait 2 months to tell me my case was entirely unfounded, nobody could corroborate it, and ignored the screenshots etc. The HR rep that called me to tell me I absolutely -definitely was not discriminated against- under any circumstance thought it wise to literally start yelling at me when I questioned her. Subsequently I had my doctor write an ADA request (I have a disability and the job knew this) and unsurprisingly I was fired in retaliation my next shift, citing only performance. The state unemployment board has already ruled the performance argument cannot be substantiated by the employer and they didn't give me a proper PIP. So I should be receiving unemployment, but I lost the last 5 weeks on a technicality. Even if I were getting that money, which I might eventually (that determination helps, but the last 5 weeks may be a loss), it's at best 20% of my income. Nothing I can live on, not even close. But it might keep the lights on.

I did good to re-save after buying a house in 2018. I went into last year with a savings account in pretty good financial shape. Last year though we saw a good $35,000 in roof replacement and "the last owner didn't give a shit about building code and we kind of have to do this" repairs. We made it through it, but our savings was essentially deleted into the house itself, and I was actually in the middle of underwriting to restructure those loans when my job decided to fire me. They knew; they're planning on me being the average American who can't withstand a $500 emergency. I already have a lawyer and EEOC appointment, they know I am coming.

I can take a $500 emergency, but right now it's more like I've withstood $5000 and then some. As we say in our house when you're taking hits left and right, "my character is fuckin blinking right now." When I was let go I was supposed to get a full check; got half. Was supposed to get my earned vacation time; they said I had earned 4 days and used 3 (Absolute BS). My wife and I both signed a notarized release for over $10,000 (after taxes) of retirement funds, to be paid a month ago, as explicitly noted in their notarized release we completed and returned. I have received nothing, except a bill for $3600 for 2 months of health care, due in May. After repeated phone calls that they are in breach of written agreements, all they will say is that there is an "undocumented 45 day delay for lump sum payments, it is not documented in the pension plan. Once that 45 day period ends, the month in which it falls has to end, and then we can pay you. So that will be.... June."

I have to have health care, my wife and I both, obviously. For those of you lucky enough not to be in America, COBRA allows you to keep "healhcare" if you lose your job, but it's mad expensive. You have to pay whatever you and your job were paying in premiums, and you have 45 days to start making payments to keep health care; I think you see where that's going with the whole undocumented pension delay. It's nothing if I have my retirement funds, it's crippling if they get away with holding them till June, which it's almost certain they will.

At this point I've been selling things off but it seems like so little. Like, I am in "pick a whole ass hobby to liquidate to relieve financial stress even though I earned this shit my whole life" mode. If I had my retirement money I was entitled to last month, I wouldn't even be in a hard place whatsoever. We've had to rebudget for worst case when I got fired, worse case when they took my vacation pay, and worst worst case when they held our pension in breach of something we both signed (my wife and I). It was workable until the last one, now, I really don't know how the hell I am going to get by until June. I did get a meeting with the EEOC in June to get a right to sue letter, because in America, you can't sue for this without a letter of permission (literally, I have to obtain a "right to sue" letter). Given that, I can't even sue for severance until at least June either. And just obtaining an EEOC appointment took weeks of trying, every day, just to schedule a single one. I literally had to tell myself that automating the checking for an appointment in that kind of system would be unethical on my own part, so I tried at random hours every day. Finally at 3AM one day I got the appointment and fell asleep. That already seems ages ago.

It's some good news that I finally got a job interview, but the IT market is fucked right now. It's the only actual interview I've gotten, even with references at lots of companies, and If I take this (which I probably will) it's "contract to probably-not-hire," maybe a year engagement, and a 30% pay cut. The actual work is something I'm good at, at least. Silver lining I guess.

BeefJerky

Tunnel Jew
20 Year Member
That's a lot of BS to deal with all at once. Sorry to hear you're going through this.

Let us know if we can do anything to help you out, bro.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
That's a lot of BS to deal with all at once. Sorry to hear you're going through this.

Let us know if we can do anything to help you out, bro.
Thanks Beffy.

If anyone's in West MI you can literally come "pick" my place. Lots of arcade, records, vintage computers for days. There isn't much here I wouldn't sell at this point. I am trying to save the candy cabs but 🤷‍♂️

I don't know how to ask for handouts and I can't be promising people I'll pay anything back; this company has already done so much illegal stuff I just can't count any un-hatched eggs at all, and I don't usually do that anyway :/

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
That’s a hell’va curve ball there. Hang in there, hopefully you can get your monies soon, it all happens for a reason. Let me/us know if there anything that would help.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
That’s a hell’va curve ball there. Hang in there, hopefully you can get your monies soon, it all happens for a reason. Let me/us know if there anything that would help.
I appreciate the support, I'm not sure what anyone can do right now unless you're in the business of loans with ambiguous due dates, operate as a charity, or feel like buying things. In all seriousness, Thanks Bob, you've always been a real one.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So like you need a couple guys to beat this “friend’s” ass or what? Just let us know.

Stay strong man and I hope you’re able to sue the pants off your old employer.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
So like you need a couple guys to beat this “friend’s” ass or what? Just let us know.

Stay strong man and I hope you’re able to sue the pants off your old employer.
Thanks man. I have a great case and their actions only show they knew it. In the one meeting I did have with my boss after I filed a case, she looked "just shit her pants scared."

I have a feeling life will get him back. The last person who did something this wild to me served time years later in prison, for (get this) literally stabbing someone in their back.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
In regards to 'Plane Ticket" 🎟, my wife says she "just needs a ticket for Sylvie's dick to whip his ass with. It's the weapon of choice in this situation, with consent of course." 🍆

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
When you're in the right, and you know you are, and you know they know you are, but there's a legal loophole...

It's time for pikey justice.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Sorry to hear this story bro. I hope you win your case. In the meantime, did you check with the state/county/local government or your doctor for free healthcare coverage or programs in your area?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
What. The. Fuck.

That's some serious hot trash, man. Can't say that I would handle a situation like that with the kind of grace you're displaying currently (though I'm sure you're privately cursing, yelling and punching walls) but I would seriously put my all in to nailing those motherfuckers' nuts to the wall. That bitch needs to be fired and made an example of.

Good luck on the job hunt (I know the IT field is a clusterfuck currently) and I hope that "friend" has been read the riot act.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
Shitty situation, just work with what you can only Control , everything else will just have to wait hopefully it will work out for you .

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I also learned the hard way that HR is not your friend. They work for the company and only the company. It's like walking into court and giving all your evidence to the opponent while you are representing yourself.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I also learned the hard way that HR is not your friend. They work for the company and only the company. It's like walking into court and giving all your evidence to the opponent while you are representing yourself.
Pretty accurate. I had some friends "on the inside" of HR at one place that was privately held, and they actually looked out for me. Anywhere else it's been for show.

They asked me to hand over tons of screenshots to help their "ethics investigations" right before firing me, and told me I couldn't discuss any investigations or even infer there were any open, even to the disability team I worked with, which had an RN on staff. Yeah.

Sorry to hear this story bro. I hope you win your case. In the meantime, did you check with the state/county/local government or your doctor for free healthcare coverage or programs in your area?
The coverage I had there was literally 0 deductible, that's partly why I wager they are trying so hard to keep me off of it.

Shitty situation, just work with what you can only Control , everything else will just have to wait hopefully it will work out for you .
Thanks man.

When you're in the right, and you know you are, and you know they know you are, but there's a legal loophole...

It's time for pikey justice.
A younger me might be a bit more brash. This is some long game shit, even if I lose some games, I'm going to finish the season. My lawyer is ready to put a demand letter on the table with the EEOC permission to sue as extra teeth. Just gotta make it there.

EEOC cases can be a bitch though. My favorite lawyer (she does not practice in MI) has been watching her dad sue Clarence Thomas on an EEOC matter since the 1970s. I really need that on a t-shirt... "Suing Clarence Thomas since 1976"

What. The. Fuck.

That's some serious hot trash, man. Can't say that I would handle a situation like that with the kind of grace you're displaying currently (though I'm sure you're privately cursing, yelling and punching walls) but I would seriously put my all in to nailing those motherfuckers' nuts to the wall. That bitch needs to be fired and made an example of.

Good luck on the job hunt (I know the IT field is a clusterfuck currently) and I hope that "friend" has been read the riot act.
I definitely told him what I thought of his sudden lack of memory, and gave him a couple days to double down on his lies and cowardice. Then I told him off. I let people slide on a lot; I've been through a lot. Had more than one gun pulled on me in my life and I'm still here... As long as you come clean and tell the truth there's not much I won't forgive on some level. But past that is my tipping point; if I catch you red handed and you are still lying to my face, you are going to have a Bad Time (TM).

I had roommates when I was ~20 that didn't work hardly ever, so they would break into my room every time I was at work and just steal my weed. I had to work full time. They wouldn't steal money or things, but my weed got pinched every day. I did crazy shit to that door and lock but they still got in. One day I busted them, and after I had my room cleared out of people, I had the last kid cornered in a hallway. I was holding a 46" longboard that I rode home on so they didn't see my car, and of course on the ends of that was enough metal to fuck someone up. Not gonna sugar coat that one, it's called getting "Truck Fucked" for a reason. I held the board in a position to swing it, saw the real look of fear in his eyes, and that was enough. I'm glad, too... I still ride that skateboard. And he's the only one who ever caught me in public years later and actually said sorry.

Last edited:

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Sorry you're going through this. Cobra is an expensive way to keep health insurance. Even if you can't get free coverage as wyo suggested there may be a cheaper solution on the healthcare.gov marketplace.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Man, fuck me, but this seems kind of self-inflicted? No disrespect intended, but once you start gathering evidence against your boss and report her to HR, what did you think was going to happen? I've learned it's best to keep your head down, make the money, and if the company is toxic then it's time to start looking to jump ship. IDK man, I think the only way I'd ever report someone in a superior role was if they molested me.

I know you said you've been in companies with good HR that help employees, but there are probably only 5 percent of those that exist. Once you went to them to report on a manager you were marked from then on.

This situation sucks, but you gotta learn to play The Game of the company's world.

That said, don't ever give up hope, and I'm hoping you'll find a better job soon. It's a hard, cruel world out there but you'll make it. You've made it this far, you can keep going.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In most cases, unless the employers conduct was particularly dangerous or egregious you need to report problems in the workplace to the company you work for (boss/HR/whatever) in order to later be able to file some kind of claim/engage in a lawsuit against them. This way they can’t say “we had no idea of these issues.”

That said It amazes me companies keep on those mid level managers who are walking HR nightmares. I don’t get why they Just don’t fire these pieces of shit. Surely they provide no value to the company, and on Skate’s case I imagine the company is going to have to pay out - all because they doubled down and wouldn’t fire or discipline some piece of shit. I suppose it’s reflective of the the type of management at the top?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Man, fuck me, but this seems kind of self-inflicted? No disrespect intended, but once you start gathering evidence against your boss and report her to HR, what did you think was going to happen? I've learned it's best to keep your head down, make the money, and if the company is toxic then it's time to start looking to jump ship. IDK man, I think the only way I'd ever report someone in a superior role was if they molested me.

I know you said you've been in companies with good HR that help employees, but there are probably only 5 percent of those that exist. Once you went to them to report on a manager you were marked from then on.

This situation sucks, but you gotta learn to play The Game of the company's world.

That said, don't ever give up hope, and I'm hoping you'll find a better job soon. It's a hard, cruel world out there but you'll make it. You've made it this far, you can keep going.
I mean, I can get where you are coming from, but the backstabbing was insane here. In hindsight I got set up and lied to by someone I knew since 2008 and helped move out when his own dad lost his home. Like, the police threw their shit in the front yard and I came and helped him, we worked together for years, hung out... He assured me it would be fine, then after hire straight up told me I'd be retaliated against, then let it happen. Yeah I saw signs; I was already applying to new jobs last year. But this guy can get fucked, it's definitely top 2 backstabbings in my life.

The guy who referred me was a several year employee there, who got promoted into management himself shortly after my hire and repeatedly assured me he'd have my back. I knew my manager was doing everything she could to keep her bullshit technically legal; I've worked enough places to see it. Before it went full batshit with her questioning my vaccines and dental work (in company slack/chat, mind you) I asked for internal transfers, anything amicable just to have a comfortable work environment. They did not care at all, likely because it would be admitting fault in their eyes if they helped me at all.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
on Skate’s case I imagine the company is going to have to pay out - all because they doubled down and wouldn’t fire or discipline some piece of shit. I suppose it’s reflective of the the type of management at the top?
When my "friend" told me about her prior retaliation, he made it sound like this same thing happened. In hindsight, he said she had been walking around with her tail between her legs for a few months after retaliating against a different software dev. The story I got was the developer was given more and more unreasonable workload after FMLA until he quit out of frustration. "Nobody reported it but man, we really should have."

She did the same to me; refused to give me a formal PIP and then got literally upset when I accomplished her lists of impossible work. There really was no winning here. For example, we built a lab as a team, but out of anger for me personally, she made me redo the entire 6 person team lab exercise myself, using countless permutations to the point of absolute futility / no gain, and then got pissed off when I actually did it all. There were numerous thinly veiled attempts to get me to quit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I mean, I can get where you are coming from, but the backstabbing was insane here. In hindsight I got set up and lied to by someone I knew since 2008 and helped move out when his own dad lost his home. Like, the police threw their shit in the front yard and I came and helped him, we worked together for years, hung out... He assured me it would be fine, then after hire straight up told me I'd be retaliated against, then let it happen. Yeah I saw signs; I was already applying to new jobs last year. But this guy can get fucked, it's definitely top 2 backstabbings in my life.

The guy who referred me was a several year employee there, who got promoted into management himself shortly after my hire and repeatedly assured me he'd have my back. I knew my manager was doing everything she could to keep her bullshit technically legal; I've worked enough places to see it. Before it went full batshit with her questioning my vaccines and dental work (in company slack/chat, mind you) I asked for internal transfers, anything amicable just to have a comfortable work environment. They did not care at all, likely because it would be admitting fault in their eyes if they helped me at all.
God dude this whole situation sucks so much dick. Wishing you a speedy landing on a job you can thrive in, brother. Fuck toxic environments.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Lesson learned, HR is there to protect the company, not its employees. Never ever go for HR unless you absolutely have to. And yeah the whole situation suck and that's why I refuse to let my bank account ever go below a very generous threshold, nothing is better than knowing that I will not get ass reamed if I get laid off tomorrow (and I already survived like 3 waves of this shit at my current job). But I know emergencies do happen sometimes and there's not much you can do.

Hopefully you'll land a better job in no time. Stay strong.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
If they had actually paid my wages due and retirement remotely according to agreements, I'd be a good 20K above water still. That's not even counting the 10K bonus I was "due" in April, never counted on that either.

When I hired in they literally bragged about having a "no layoff policy" until a few months later when they did a nice fat round of layoffs. I made it a few months past that, time wise.

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Lesson learned, HR is there to protect the company, not its employees. Never ever go for HR unless you absolutely have to. And yeah the whole situation suck and that's why I refuse to let my bank account ever go below a very generous threshold, nothing is better than knowing that I will not get ass reamed if I get laid off tomorrow (and I already survived like 3 waves of this shit at my current job). But I know emergencies do happen sometimes and there's not much you can do.

Hopefully you'll land a better job in no time. Stay strong.
That's why I've always been afraid of corp environments.

Skate, I don't know you well, but I'm sorry you have to deal with that bull shit.

Can you apply for your states affordable health care? I don't know much about other states marketplace rules etc, but in New York you can apply for financial assistance, tax credits etc on the marketplace exchange.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I know yall are being respectful on the health care, I just wish it was that simple.

My wife and I both technically have disabilities. This insurance policy already had did year or more preauthorization on meds for both of us, and has a 0 yearly deductible. If we chage plans right now, it is a huge gamble, prescriptions may not be approved at all or at best would cost substantially more, and our current family doctor is the only person who's ever properly diagnosed and treated my wife. I promised her she wouldn't lose this doctor.

promking

Armored Scrum Object
I know yall are being respectful on the health care, I just wish it was that simple.

My wife and I both technically have disabilities. This insurance policy already had did year or more preauthorization on meds for both of us, and has a 0 yearly deductible. If we chage plans right now, it is a huge gamble, prescriptions may not be approved at all or at best would cost substantially more, and our current family doctor is the only person who's ever properly diagnosed and treated my wife. I promised her she wouldn't lose this doctor.
My wife is disabled, she has a rare autoimmune disease, well technically diseases now. I get it.
I had my wife on my family plan with Trinet, and ADP... They both raised my rates so high and said ( someone is sick on your plan )... They couldn't drop me.. But they did raise my rates so high it wasn't even feasible.
I have her on the marketplace now for the past 7 years, and we've had good luck. Granted I pay like $850 dollars a month for her plan.... Which is $1300 deductible and $9500 out of pocket max... But one dose of her IVIG infusions cost over 100k. So we meet the out of pocket maximum by Feb every year.