May 2024 SOTM vote: Genny Vs Neo

May 2024 SOTM will be???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
This May, you Can

* Choose the comfort of a console game (that is not completely broken like, say, a Compile or a Vic-Tokai release)
* or the raw brutality of a 1990s arcade shooter

In this classic 16-bit face-off:

1713885350635.png

Will you pick one of these 5 solid Genny Toaplan ports?
- Twin Hawk / Daisenpu
- Truxton / Tatsujin
- Fire Shark / Same! Same! Same!
- Hellfire
- Zero Wing

Or one of these Neo Geo shooters nobody ever seems to want to play?
- Andro Dunos
- Ironclad / Chotetsu Brikinger
- Alpha Mission II / ASO II
- Zed Blade / Operation Ragnarok
- Ghost Pilots / Goob Goobots

Rules are the following and apply whatever platform/system you decide to play them on:

- 1 credit / no continue (heh)
- Genny games are to be played on default difficulty & settings AND in 60Hz AND with a JPN bios (it does matter, a least for some of them).
- Neo Geo games are to be played on MVS - LVL4 difficulty.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
yikes!

no idea what to vote for here

Not into any of there games really

I can at least say that I've played some of those Toaplan games

I'm going to hold off on voting until I get an idea of what people want

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Hopefully this will be better than the last SOTM. I think people got scared of Dariusburst. :(

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Hopefully this will be better than the last SOTM. I think people got scared of Dariusburst. :(
Yeah, I'm shocked. Tough game, but fun! I was hoping more folks would post middle of the road scores to chase

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Shots fired…
Lol! I just meant you and opt2not probably put up scores that are out of reach for me... I was gonna revisit it once some 200k scores were posted so I had a more reasonable rung on the ladder. So I'm only firing shots at myself (and everyone who isn't playing at all, I suppose)

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
The timing was just off - it had been on sale one or two months ago and had a very attractive price on steam. I missed picking it up and was reluctant to jump the hoops for emulation or dishing out the cash for the steam version. (which is on non-sale close to an AA+ title price)

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
yikes!

no idea what to vote for here

Not into any of there games really

I can at least say that I've played some of those Toaplan games

I'm going to hold off on voting until I get an idea of what people want

Scoring wise, you can't go too wrong with any of these I believe.
On the Genny side, all these Toaplan ports are very good; I just regret the "1 weapon always better than the rest" syndrome on FS and ZW. The Hellfire port is nothing short of awesome.

On the Neo side, AMII is an old favourite of mine though definitely not for everyone; Ironclad would deserve a chance, it looks like poor man's Progear but it's a really solid game with scoring mechanics that would probably work fine for a competition. I might vote for this one.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Ghost Pilots would just be funny. We must all share the suffering

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The timing was just off - it had been on sale one or two months ago and had a very attractive price on steam. I missed picking it up and was reluctant to jump the hoops for emulation or dishing out the cash for the steam version. (which is on non-sale close to an AA+ title price)
Well it WAS on sale for a very attractive price — on the Switch.
I didn’t check the steam version at the time, but the Switch version was like $5 when the SOTM started.
Oh well, live and learn. I’ll just stick to suggesting the old common games and not try to insert some new ones into this comp again. People don’t want to try new things, they just want their old favorites.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Well it WAS on sale for a very attractive price — on the Switch.
I didn’t check the steam version at the time, but the Switch version was like $5 when the SOTM started.
Oh well, live and learn. I’ll just stick to suggesting the old common games and not try to insert some new ones into this comp again. People don’t want to try new things, they just want their old favorites.

I broke my tailbone in a car accident in the middle of March and haven't been able to sit comfortably long enough to play any shmups. It's healing though and I'm looking forward to getting back into the scoring trenches for May!

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I broke my tailbone in a car accident in the middle of March and haven't been able to sit comfortably long enough to play any shmups. It's healing though and I'm looking forward to getting back into the scoring trenches for May!
Ouch! Holy shit. Sorry to hear that. I hope you recover quickly!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I went with Fire Shark since that was the one winning in the Genny section

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
Yea, another dead heat.

Fire Shark it will be then - or rather Same! Same! Same! MD

1714502807810.png

Single board competition!

Play on whatever machine you like, but the Megadrive/Genesis version only, default difficulty (=Easy), 60Hz, BIOS set to "Japan" unless you can't do otherwise (enemies are reported to be slightly more shooty, I know it was the case on some of their other titles like Daisenpu).

Fire away!