Mega cd repair

bochi

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi guys does anybody here do repair work on model1 megacd? I bought one , still have not powered on but I took a look I side and ofcourse there is cap leakage.
The caps are too small and I'm afraid to mess it up.20240420_192451.jpg20240420_192446.jpg20240420_192434.jpg20240420_192421.jpg20240420_192408.jpg20240420_192350.jpg

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Ahh... the Mega CD... probably the worst console I've ever come across in terms of fragility.

Just to foreworn you, as you've not powered it up yet, and depending on when the unit was last in proper use - the rubber belt that drives the CD tray will most likely need replacing, the CD lasers pack up because they're conventional lasers for music CD playback, the limiter switches pack up (you'll hear a loud and annoying clicking noise when trying to load CDs), the ribbons that connect all the internals together - be very careful with those if you're going any further with stripping the unit yourself.

I don't have someone I can recommend for the cap repairs... so far as to say, I know people, but don't know whether they do this kind of work.

Good luck though, they're funky bits of kit when they actually work :)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
How much better is model 2? Both of mine are still kicking with no work done on them.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
How much better is model 2? Both of mine are still kicking with no work done on them.
Model 2s tend to be a lot more reliable since they have less moving parts and they didn't use crappy SMD caps. Only bad thing is that if there is a problem there isn't as much documentation online about how to fix it like a Model 1. A few months back I totally refurbed both a Model 1 and a Model 2, and I have a second Model 2 on my workbench with some bad ram I don't have totally fixed yet. I got to the Model 1 just in time, it worked perfectly already, but the caps were just starting to leak but hadn't caused any trace damage yet.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Model 2s tend to be a lot more reliable since they have less moving parts and they didn't use crappy SMD caps. Only bad thing is that if there is a problem there isn't as much documentation online about how to fix it like a Model 1. A few months back I totally refurbed both a Model 1 and a Model 2, and I have a second Model 2 on my workbench with some bad ram I don't have totally fixed yet. I got to the Model 1 just in time, it worked perfectly already, but the caps were just starting to leak but hadn't caused any trace damage yet.
You think model 2 lack documentation, try the CDX. I just repaired my CDX after having to damn near reverse engineer it.