Upscaler in 2024

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've got an ossc and had one for years, just wondering if there's any better solutions in 2024 that are no fuss and offer scanlines. I'm pretty sure the ossc 0.91 or whatever is going to be the final release for the original hardware (non beta) that is which requires hardware mods.

Be nice if there was just a cable nowadays with a scanline switch on it. I don't need any more than one scart input.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I've been using a RetroTink 2X/2X Pro for years. The Pro has a scanline filter, and it's a no fuss, plug and play solution. You can get the 2X Scart which also has a scanline mode - although, I don't use scanline filters on modern displays, so your milage may vary. If I want scanlines, I have a PVM for that.

That said, my Neo, SuperGun, and other retro consoles look great running through my Tink on my LG 4K (55in' QNED display). I have an OSSC, and I upgraded to a Tink 5X a couple years ago and in both cases went back to using my 2X for its simplicity, excellent picture quality and compatibility (runs a Taito F3 with no fuss at all, for example).

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Can vouch for the 2X, I had one when I had a neo and it was great on my LG OLED. Yeah 480p ain't like what the Mister can spit out but it's still very good.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I've been using a RetroTink 2X/2X Pro for years. The Pro has a scanline filter, and it's a no fuss, plug and play solution. You can get the 2X Scart which also has a scanline mode - although, I don't use scanline filters on modern displays, so your milage may vary. If I want scanlines, I have a PVM for that.

That said, my Neo, SuperGun, and other retro consoles look great running through my Tink on my LG 4K (55in' QNED display). I have an OSSC, and I upgraded to a Tink 5X a couple years ago and in both cases went back to using my 2X for its simplicity, excellent picture quality and compatibility (runs a Taito F3 with no fuss at all, for example).
Hmm. My TV only supports game mode in 16:9 so I'm guessing the 2x would output at 480p. 4:3? The response time is fine anyway

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Hmm. My TV only supports game mode in 16:9 so I'm guessing the 2x would output at 480p. 4:3? The response time is fine anyway
Oh interesting! Yeah, the 2X outputs in 480p 4:3 natively. Both of my modern TVs (an LG and Samsung) support low-latency modes in either screen ratio - just had to reset the ratio after turning on game mode. If you have good response times without game mode, though, might be okay for you.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I regret selling the 2x just to have it around but the jump to the 5x is no contest. 5x is so good that I wonder if the 4K is worth it. I think OSSC to 2x would be a downgrade.

The 5x is probably more of a refinement over the OSSC but I’ve never seen a comparison in person.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm in the same boat. Got another 5x for the Vewlix because my ossc wouldn't do weird resolutions or resolution transitions very well, and this was much more stable. I'm not sure if the 4k is worth the $700 plus as of yet, I'm perfectly happy with my 5x and, with the profile setting, it's a set and forget for me.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I've been using the XRGB Framemeister for, probably, a decade now and it still looks great and performs well.

That said, I'm hoping to get a Tink 4K later this year - although this is most likely to be used in my home cinema set-up to replace a DVDO VP50 Pro used for LD play back. The Tink 4K is the only thing I've seen that remotely looks like it's worth replacing the XRGB mini.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'm sure I could get more modes out of the ossc if I tweaked the 30 billion settings more. It's good enough and works in 2/5x modes so I haven't needed to do anything to it for ages

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
That said, I'm hoping to get a Tink 4K later this year - although this is most likely to be used in my home cinema set-up to replace a DVDO VP50 Pro used for LD play back. The Tink 4K is the only thing I've seen that remotely looks like it's worth replacing the XRGB mini.
The Tink 4K is, to misquote Ordell Robbie, the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to upscale every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Mike’s recent work on an adaptive 3D comb filter has been nothing short of amazing, and it has allowed me to finally retire my Extron and Kramer scalers for watching LDs on a modern display.