Why Do I Suck So Bad at Super Turbo?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I can barely get a 3-win spree in against the computer, and even then I’m not pulling off combos / cancels - just basic specials. Even when I put in a credit for 2P and the other guy is just standing still it’s hard to pull off something as basic as jumping medium, crouching low, hadoken. I am so bad at this game.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
How are you playing the game (system, PC), and what version are you playing, Turbo or X?

fake

15 Year Member
It’s a green board so it’s Japanese. What do you mean by reads your inputs?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It has strict inputs, although not as strict as some older games. Literal skill issue.

You should really play at a lower speed (not turbo 3 gmc/2 US) as the time it takes to input a move increases. Then gradually increase it. Additionally firing up a training mode with input display to see what you're doing wrong.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It’s a green board so it’s Japanese. What do you mean by reads your inputs?

All games read inputs. What he means is say you input a fireball hadoken, the computer will know you did it before it even comes out during the pre-animation. A real person would have to see some visual indication or read it. The CPU cheats bad in here, my favorite is walking forward sonic boom or full health grab to death.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
All games read inputs to an extent; US SFST is especially egregious.

As far as blue board goes-Vs. mode only for me, cpu matches suck all the fun out of the endeavor.

If you are playing the green board, is it possible it’s a shell swap? If you are playing JP roms then it’s time to practice and git gud.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
SSFIIT is a basicly impossible game on CPSII. I can never get past the 4th or 5th fight. It's made purposely so to encourage human battles and eat quarters. Play a real human. You'll probably destroy them.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I'd just play on Fightcade against real people since it's still played a lot and competition is there.

There's some charm in playing these old school Fighters with their cheap-ass CPU, but I never found SSF2T's AI to be anything but annoying.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
IIRC the US version of ST has a bug where no matter what difficulty you set the CPU AI at it always fights at level 8.
This bug doesn't happen in the Japanese version of SX.
It was fixed in USFII-FC and maybe the 30'th anniversary collection as well.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
I play it regularly on Saturn and 3DO. Much easier than the original. On Saturn, I'm able to beat Akuma on highest difficulty with my very moderate skills.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, as mentioned, the US version of ST has a glitch where the CPU is always on Level 8 regardless of the setting. It's still very beatable with certain characters (and pretty much everyone once you figure out the patterns) but it's tough sledding if you're coming at it cold and don't have your anti-airs on lock.

fake

15 Year Member
I play it regularly on Saturn and 3DO. Much easier than the original. On Saturn, I'm able to beat Akuma on highest difficulty with my very moderate skills.
OK, gonna grab my Saturn copy next time I go to my parents and see what happens!

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Because life sucks and you can't find simple internet articles and you have to watch YouTubes for info: I found this explaining the issue

The game is bugged. Average Joe is right - on FightCade this is fun.

Edit - Oops just saw that this was already answered several times in the thread. Sorry.

Last edited: