, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Imminent domain or squatters rights?

HellioN

20 Year Member
Which witch you say?
That's what I was trying to decide.
In one instance the gov basically says "It's ok for this guy to steal your stuff".
In the other the gov says "It's ok, we're going to steal your stuff ".
Both are horrendous but I'm not sure which is worse.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
In one instance the gov basically says "It's ok for this guy to steal your stuff".

I would guess imminent domain. Squatters are no picnic, but if da gubment decides it wants your shit there's not much you can do.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Squatters rights.

I read about this woman who has a $1mil property and came to find out there were squatters there. She got rid of them, changed the locks, they came back, she got arrested, and they changed the locks again and are now living there as if that incident never happened.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Squatters rights.

I read about this woman who has a $1mil property and came to find out there were squatters there. She got rid of them, changed the locks, they came back, she got arrested, and they changed the locks again and are now living there as if that incident never happened.
Sounds like the beginning recipe for a million dollar ash heap.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Wtf is this logic

Just no. At least you get a fat payout with eminent domain. What do you get from squatters? An early death from stress?

HellioN

20 Year Member
Wtf is this logic

Just no. At least you get a fat payout with eminent domain. What do you get from squatters? An early death from stress?
Not always.
There have been instances of the gov basically coming in and telling people what they are getting then waiving in the bulldozers.
It simply comes down to other people telling you that you do not own what you own.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
100 years ago. Eminent Domain
Present Day - Squatter Rights

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
DeSantis is on the case in FL!

The squatter stories have been crazy lately. I had rentals back when I lived in WY. Had a problem tenant that I wanted to evict. Called up the sheriff and they were removed the same day.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I had some tenants who stopped paying and wouldn't leave. I called in the pikeys and the situation was resolved.

There are ways to make things happen that both sides can be persuaded are the right outcome, when both sides know full well what is right and wrong, regardless of what the law says.

Reactions: wyo

HellioN

20 Year Member
DeSantis is on the case in FL!

The squatter stories have been crazy lately. I had rentals back when I lived in WY. Had a problem tenant that I wanted to evict. Called up the sheriff and they were removed the same day.
The Florida bill is what got me thinking about the whole thing.

Reactions: wyo

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
How is squatting even a thing? What are the arguments in favour of letting filthy fuckwits break into and live in someone else's property? There must be a historical reason that this is an issue in multiple countries.

In America, if I go on holiday and come back home to find some swampy faced hobo on my property can't I just shoot him on sight anyway?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
How is squatting even a thing? What are the arguments in favour of letting filthy fuckwits break into and live in someone else's property? There must be a historical reason that this is an issue in multiple countries.

In America, if I go on holiday and come back home to find some swampy faced hobo on my property can't I just shoot him on sight anyway?
You would think so but apparently the UK has better laws against squatting. It's one thing if you have a dispute with an existing tenant, try to work things out first, etc but yeah if some random just breaks in and claims the right to live there, you should be able to have them removed immediately. In my case, the tenant was in violation of multiple terms of the lease agreement and refused to comply.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

It's State by State, but it can take years to do it legally in NYC for example.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Squatters rights.

The last I read is that a couple of vigilantes...excuse me...GOOD citizens came to the woman's aid and ran the POS squatters off...
Squatters can be convinced to leave one way or another.The gov will steam roll you,pay you less than the property is worth and that's that.
BB

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member

It's not. Squatters rights aren't about some dirty mole person secretly living somewhere and not being able to kick them out. It's about someone making use of and improving on some land, and there being a certain amount of time limit for the actual owner to contest it. A lot of it goes back to farming and deed holders lording over the farmers doing the actual work. In the modern world, there are still ways the laws can apply though. If I built a shed in my yard, and it sat one foot into my neighbor's yard, they could say, hey you need to move that, and I'd have to do so. If they don't notice for 20 years and then wanted me to demolish / move it, I can contest that and say I've made good use of the land, etc.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I would presume if you came home and found someone in your home you could shoot them if you were in fear for your life.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
The last I read is that a couple of vigilantes...excuse me...GOOD citizens came to the woman's aid and ran the POS squatters off...
Squatters can be convinced to leave one way or another.The gov will steam roll you,pay you less than the property is worth and that's that.
BB
Good samaritans can do that yes. But, those who are stubborn, will use their rights and wait for the court system to force them out. That can take months or years in which said squatter would have settled in and the owner has to deal with the stress from potential lost of income or comfortability due to this.