Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Most of Aronofsky's movies have all of the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face.

Saw Roger Corman's Bucket of Blood (1959) this evening. Dick Miller is a loser named Walter Paisley who busses tables at a beatnik bar. He wants to be an artist and get the beatnik girl he's had his eye on to notice him but he has no discernable talent. He finds his muse when he accidentally kills his landlady's cat and covers it in sculptor's clay. The beatniks all find the piece fascinating (if a little ghoulish) and Walter finds himself murdering people (first by accident and eventually on purpose) to create sculptures of people in their death throes in order to impress his new friends and make money. As one might expect, it spirals and eventually Walter is caught and hangs himself.

Fun, workman-like little movie (barely over an hour long) that takes the piss out of the beatniks but could easily be applied to all self-important artistes, art collectors and pretty much everyone in that scene. As with most Corman movies, it was made on an absolute shoestring (it has like 3 sets and the violence largely happens off-screen) but the sculptures are actually pretty good/creeoy looking and the dark comedy moments largely hit. Some of the characters are a little broad but it makes sense within context and Dick Miller plays a good pathetic (if somewhat likeable) loser who just wants to be accepted. He's not much different from Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors but that's not particularly surprising given the movies share a writer, a director, several sets and much of the same cast. Gotta love Corman... would squeeze every last drop of toothpaste out of the tube.

I watched this movie when Svengoolie showed it. Great episode.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Robot Jox- It's probably been 20 years since I've seen this, I thought this was the dopest shit ever when I was 10 lol. Obviously it's goofy as fuck and it's aged terribly but there's still some fun to be had. I was surprised just how much Pacific Rim was inspired by this. There's honestly more of this than any Kaiju movie in PR. The miniatures and stop motion are all over the place quality wise and the lack of budget is very visible in every aspect. The costumes and sets especially are laughably cheap.

Also the whole time I just kept thinking what if this had been directed by Verhoeven? There's so much opportunity for good satire that is almost completely wasted. Which is a little odd as Stuart Gordon can do that sort of thing and there are a couple little things here and there but the movie just doesn't seem self aware. It's basically Rocky IV with giant robots. Still it's hokey fun and would makes a great movie night along with Arena.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
DBZ: Tree of Might

Lots of folks seem to dislike this one, but I'm fine with it even if it is kind of weak overall. It loses some points for me by having overbearing mom-bitch Chi-Chi in it; Turles being kind of a lame antagonist even if the explanation of his looks is kind of logical, and the Z Fighters doing very little. I do like the plot with tree and how Turles/Crusher Crew (Corps?) aren't really after the Earth, but just happen to be using it to get their revenge on Frieza. The fights in the previous two movies are way better, so I'm not sure what happened here since a quick google search of the budgets wasn't yielding results.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Ghostbusters 5 is getting an awful reception.

Even the critics have finally caught onto the fact that this is the 5th time in a row they've released the exact same movie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Citizen Kane- Hadn't seen this in probably 20 years and while I don't think it's "the greatest film ever made" as it's often touted it is certainly an incredibly important and influential movie. While many aspects are quite dated the story is as relevant as ever and Welles uncompromising vision stands the test of time. I forgot how good the movie looks, the shot composition and camera work are impeccable. It's incredible that it even got made and that Welles was only 25 at the time.

Now I want to go back and watch The Simpsons episode about Mr. Burns and Bobo.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Funny Games ('97): Home invasion movie with some realistically disturbing antagonists. The violence is minimal until it isn't. It eventually goes off the rails in a very late-'90s way, but overall I liked it. I've like everything I've seen from Heneke, so I'm planning on watching Code Unknown soon.

End of Evangelion: It was cool to see this in the theater, but fuck I'm depressed now.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Love Lies Bleeding
-one of my fav movies to come out this year, this is everything Drive-Away Dolls wanted to be

Drive-Away Dolls
-I see now that the other Coen brother was responsible for filtering this Coen’s intrusive thoughts, this movie was all over this place and not in a good way.

Society Of Magical Negroes
-
there was a chance for some good satire here and well it sure as shit didn’t happen.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
-it’s ok, it’s kind of like a long episode of the cartoon. I enjoyed this far better than Afterlife but my complaint from that one of the new GBs still don’t get much to do.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Got 3 months free Apple TV and watched 3 movies. Killers of the Flower Moon, Napoleon & Macbeth (2021)

Macbeth had some nice visuals and Shakespeare never gets old. But it's no Throne of Blood, not even the Fassbender Macbeth of 2015.
Worth seeing for the visuals. You already watched the other 2 long ago.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Interstellar - first time since watching in the theaters. Of course without the IMAX and sound system it's just not the same. Matt Damon was great. I guess the only thing I want to say, and IDK how many other people agree with me but I didn't like it 10 years ago either, but the way Murph's brother is somewhat made out to be a bad guy. He's the most realistic character in the movie. His sister and Topher Grace burning down his corn field, which is the only crop Earth can grow now, and taking his family away arises a feeling in me that is equivalent to seeing protestors block highways. I'm curious how many other people feel the same way because I never see anyone mention it, because "It's not possible." "No, it's necessary." is one of the most badass scenes in cinematic history and overshadows everything else, but yeah.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Interstellar is a really, really stupid movie.

Not as stupid as Tenet, but stupid.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've had a thing for Anne Hathaway since I was in eighth grade when The Princess Diaries came out. She's had a helluva career since then and has aged like fine wine.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Interstellar isn't necessarily stupid, but like most of Nolan's recent films, it's not nearly as brilliant, entertaining, or significant as the superhero movie generation thinks it is.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've had a thing for Anne Hathaway since I was in eighth grade when The Princess Diaries came out. She's had a helluva career since then and has aged like fine wine.

She’s one of the most beautiful women in the world.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I thought interstellar was pretty stupid when I first saw it. When it was on streaming I skipped all the earth stuff and went pee during the 4D library scene. I liked it a lot better that time.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 - very entertaining, although toward the end of the run time it did feel like it was just one set-piece action scene bolted to another, bolted to another etc. etc. Nice to see Henry Czerny back after 20 odd years... shame Jeremy Renner's character wasn't featured. Not the best MI entry into the series, but not the worst either.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The Prestige is Nolan's best movie.

Heh, I love this movie, my wife hates it, she cannot get over the fact that Jackman is so obsessed because of a magic trick that she thinks "isn't even that great".

I passed out during the needle bit of Memento when I was in college. I fucking hate needles.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I watched Porco Rosso, I told LoneSage in chat it didn't do it for me. Honestly I think Ponyo was a better movie.

The exposition they had of Rosso just talking to himself was awkward, he needed a sidekick. The unsolved mystery aspect of his pig-ness was just bizarre. The stuff with the girl was borderline to being put on a list. The culmination of the fight was a bit of a let down.