Alien: Romulus 08/16/24

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If the Predator series could bounce back with Prey after the atrocious shitstain with Oliva Mung and the retarded kid then anything is possible.

Evil Dead 2013 and Don't Breathe are both okay but I don't want to get my hopes up.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
If the Predator series could bounce back with Prey after the atrocious shitstain with Oliva Mung and the retarded kid then anything is possible.

Evil Dead 2013 and Don't Breathe are both okay but I don't want to get my hopes up.
Prey worked well because it's set so far before all the other movies it can't be bogged down by all the retarded nonsense from the sequels. It's essentially a blank slate.

This new Alien movie is already known to retcon the ending of Alien 1 and it's heavily tied to all the staggeringly retarded shit that happened in Prometheus and Covenant.

famicommander

15 Year Member
You mean like how Villenueve rewrites the ending of Dune?
There is a difference between making changes in the transition from one medium to another versus literally going back and undoing the ending of a movie you're making a direct sequel to.

There is no way to adapt Dune without making significant changes to the book. Arthur P. Jacobs, Ridley Scott, Richard Rubinstein, and Alejandro Jodorowsky all tried and failed to even start filming on their adaptations. David Lynch turned Dune from a warning about charismatic leaders into a story about a charismatic leader literally becoming Jesus and saving the day, featuring cat milking. The John Harrison (TV miniseries) adaptation was the closest to the book but that was 295 minutes long and it still made significant changes. For a David Lynch fan to bitch about Villeneuve's changes to the ending of the story when in Lynch's version Paul literally commands it to start raining on Arrakis is rich.

On the other hand, there is a way to make another Alien movie without changing the events of the original Alien. Alien is the original work in this franchise and this movie is supposed to be in sequence with it. The equivalent would be if Villeneuve decided to make a movie that was claiming to be a legitimate sequel to the sixth original Dune novel that completely changed and recontextualized the events of the first novel.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This franchise should have wrapped up with Aliens.

What are you talking about. There are only two movies in the Alien franchise. Alien, and Aliens.

Sadly, Weaver, Cameron and Scott all died in a tragic plane crash the day after Aliens was released.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There is a difference between making changes in the transition from one medium to another versus literally going back and undoing the ending of a movie you're making a direct sequel to.
12929%20-%20SoyBooru.png

First it was blasting Lynch for making his own ending. But now when Villenueve changes the ending, changes the characters, their relationship to each other, the Fremen culture in general, now it's hand waving time.

famicommander

15 Year Member
First it was blasting Lynch for making his own ending. But now when Villenueve changes the ending, changes the characters, their relationship to each other, the Fremen culture in general, now it's hand waving time.
Lynch didn't "make his own ending" he completely changed the entire point of the story. And, for some reason, has a cat milking fetish.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Prey worked well because it's set so far before all the other movies it can't be bogged down by all the retarded nonsense from the sequels. It's essentially a blank slate.

This new Alien movie is already known to retcon the ending of Alien 1 and it's heavily tied to all the staggeringly retarded shit that happened in Prometheus and Covenant.
The main reason Prometheus and Covenant suck is because those depend completely on their terrible story, the tension and action are the smallest components. You know, the two things that make the first two movies so engaging.

Judging by Alvarez's previous movies one of which is already a fairly good remake/reboot Romulus is going to be at most 20% story and 80% horror. If he can successfully minimize the bullshit and concentrate on tone there's a fairly good chance this could actually be a halfway decent movie regardless of it's baggage.

Plus the cast is a bunch of gen Z nobodies which makes me think they're all going to be fodder except for the main chick.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The main reason Prometheus and Covenant suck is because those depend completely on their terrible story, the tension and action are the smallest components. You know, the two things that make the first two movies so engaging.

Judging by Alvarez's previous movies one of which is already a fairly good remake/reboot Romulus is going to be at most 20% story and 80% horror. If he can successfully minimize the bullshit and concentrate on tone there's a fairly good chance this could actually be a halfway decent movie regardless of it's baggage.

Plus the cast is a bunch of gen Z nobodies which makes me think they're all going to be fodder except for the main chick.
Well the plot summary so far is
Spoiler:

The Alien from the first movie survived, scientists capture and extract black goo from it, make their own xenomorphs and facehuggers. The black goo is apparently being developed into a miracle cure for all human ailments.

Also dead Ian Holm is in the movie via AI.

So confidence is low.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just popping in to say that I like Alien: Resurrection.

I'm not saying it'a good, nor will I defend it, but I find it fun and that's it.

Good day 👋
My guy, out of fucking nowhere I rewatched this movie a couple months ago since the last time I saw this in theaters in 1997, and I was satisfied.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
more slop for smoothbrained manbabies like fami to enjoy and jerk off over

there's only two alien movies

famicommander

15 Year Member
more slop for smoothbrained manbabies like fami to enjoy and jerk off over

there's only two alien movies
Literally the first reply in this thread is me saying the franchise should have ended with Aliens. STK is the one who said Prometheus was better than Aliens.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I can apologize for the alien franchise all day. I actually like 3 despite the terrible effects. Resurrection is fine despite the human alien hybrid bs and I'll take modern alien movies like prometheus and covenant anytime. Looking forward to the new alien movie with Fede, I liked don't breathe and evil dead.

Kinda wish they would finish up the fassbender trilogy, even if it's just to complete things. You could shit all over the modern alien movies but fassbender and his female counterpart leads have been great to watch.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I can apologize for the alien franchise all day. I actually like 3 despite the terrible effects.

Kinda wish they would finish up the fassbender trilogy, even if it's just to complete things. You could shit all over the modern alien movies but fassbender and his female counterpart leads have been great to watch.

Have you seen the directors cut? It makes 3 a little better. A little. Explains the Xeno's abilities a little better, but it doesnt make it Aliens level good.

Agree on the Fassypants trilogy. For what they were, I didn't mind em, though I'd prefer to think of them as an entirely separate universe/franchise/etc.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
While I'm not foolish enough to get excited about yet another unnecessary Alien movie, at least they picked a competent filmmaker and are going back to doing a claustrophobic horror movie. Here's to hoping it's good but I won't be holding my breath.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
From that short trailer I can already glean that it won't be to my particular liking. I really liked the director's output so far, but I'm tied to how Scott tells it, in all three films on the subject so far. It's a very particular way to weave the whole thing, tonally I don't think it can be pulled off by anyone who isn't the baby daddy