RIP Akira Toriyama

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
His talent was absolutely tremendous.

I think all of us went through a period where we thought DB was great, then it was gay, then it was great again.

And his talent as an artist really made my jaw drop when I got around to thinking about it a few years ago. So much to say but hard to express what an absolute legend he was.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
Inspired a generation of kids and artist with his artistic talent and vision, it’s was a huge part of my childhood .

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
RIP. Dragon Warrior on NES is something I'll sit down and play through, in one or two sittings, every couple of years. Thanks for the great memories.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Sad news indeed. RIP to a legend.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
So sad. This man made me an anime fan. If it wasn't for Dragonball existing, the landscape would be so different. I remember FOX would air the Ocean dub episodes early in the morning on weekends. Then it became bigger and better as Toonami was born. Now, Dragonball is pop culture coming from a world where anime lovers were frowned upon. This man is legendary and his works will live on forever. RIP, sir. Thanks for the memories.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Dragon Quest is still one of my top tier RPG series.
The first game was my intro do Toriyama's art - I got it free when I subscribed to Nintendo Power as a kid.

@BeefJerky Dr. Slump is a quirky, fun read and well worth revisiting as it's been quite some time. I do want to dive into Sandland, though - never have read it and the new game looks like some fun as well.

Anyone ever play Blue Dragon on 360? Missed that one entirely back in the day and never did take the time to revisit.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Anyone ever play Blue Dragon on 360? Missed that one entirely back in the day and never did take the time to revisit.
It's really solid, but also kind of painfully generic. If you go in expecting a standard JRPG of the time then you'd likely have fun, but don't expect much more.

Does have this banger of a Boss Theme by Ian Gillain though:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
This one hits hard, across wide swaths of people; two of my co-workers (one in her 60s) paid their respects in subtle and not so subtle ways:

The woman (who when we got to talking about it) wore a orange sweater with navy sleeves…same color values as Goku’s Gi, not from Hot Topic or any such nonsense, just happened to match. I asked her, “is that sweater for who I think it is?” and we just hugged. Turns out she lived in HK in the early 1980s, and loved Dr. Slump and subsequent works.

A younger teacher (20s) dressed down and caught a write up from our Principal over it; black jeans and a black DBZ zip up hoody.

*a subdeural hematoma-man, I hope it was quick. A pretty violent fall or car/bike accident caused those a lot of the time.

Godspeed you, Toriyama.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I grew up watching Dr. Slump as it was dubbed to Cantonese (along with theme song sung by the legendary Anita Mui). It didn't even occurred to me that it was Akira Toriyama's work since I probably hadn't seen Dr. Slump in over 40yrs. What a legend he is. RIP.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Mega bummed. The guy entertained me with all forms of media from the 80's to present day. A huge loss for the world.
1000015376.jpg

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you died wasabi would still never email you
He emailed me a picture of Kurt Russell a few weeks a go.

Toriyama passing is legitimately a huge loss to the world though. The guy's work touched and influenced an absolutely massive amount of people over decades. The guy is on the same level as Walt Disney, Miyazaki and the like.