Not a fan of the series, but I like Neo Bomberman

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
First played Bomberman on SNES, then Mega Bomberman got released for MD and it still is my go-to version after all these years. The Neo version is okay I guess, haven't played it enough to really comment.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
First played Bomberman on SNES, then Mega Bomberman got released for MD and it still is my go-to version after all these years. The Neo version is okay I guess, haven't played it enough to really comment.
How do you Mega Bomberman fans keep coming out of the wood work? Westone apparently handled the conversion, but I hate to break it to you guys, it's just a slightly inferior port of Bomberman '94. It has slowdown and some graphic effects are missing. Plus one less player in multiplayer. I recently got it after all these years and it feels kind of janky if you're used to the PC Engine.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
The real question is - do you play the ZX Spectrum port?!

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I enjoyed the bomberman games on n64 when I was a kid, now they just make me mad.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I reckon if you play an inferior port of a good game without ever having played the original, you can still enjoy yourself.
For sure. I don't mean to spoil the fun. Hey, I bought it and played it. It's staying on my shelf because I let it get away when I was younger. I'm just saying, the original on the PC Engine is better. I was stunned to notice all the slowdown in the Mega Drive port. The MD version wasn't released in Japan, and Westone doesn't seem to be exactly the best when their name isn't on the game.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
How do you Mega Bomberman fans keep coming out of the wood work? Westone apparently handled the conversion, but I hate to break it to you guys, it's just a slightly inferior port of Bomberman '94. It has slowdown and some graphic effects are missing. Plus one less player in multiplayer. I recently got it after all these years and it feels kind of janky if you're used to the PC Engine.
See, Bomberman as a game series didn't interest me as much as, say, some shmups, fighters, action platformers, etc., I was happy with what Mega Bomberman brought to the table and my friends and I had fun with it so it's all good I guess.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I had the gba famicom mini version of bomberman.

Played it once.
Put it back on the shelf.
Sold the whole set.

Never went back to the series after that. No regerts.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The first Bomberman I played was Bomberman GB for... Well, Game Boy. The main game was fun, but the best time killer feature was code 5656 would get you the multiplayer mode. Sure, it was just one player against 3 bots, it was still a fun mindless time waster.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
See, Bomberman as a game series didn't interest me as much as, say, some shmups, fighters, action platformers, etc., I was happy with what Mega Bomberman brought to the table and my friends and I had fun with it so it's all good I guess.
Mega Bomberman is of course still plenty of fun. I would have fun with it if I had it back in the day too. We had Bomberman '94 by the mid 90's in our house, so I remember playing multiplayer on that. If you do a side-by-side it had less slowdown and sometimes better visuals.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Mega Bomberman is of course still plenty of fun. I would have fun with it if I had it back in the day too. We had Bomberman '94 by the mid 90's in our house, so I remember playing multiplayer on that. If you do a side-by-side it had less slowdown and sometimes better visuals.
Same happened to me - I discovered Bomberman 94 back in the 90's then played Mega Bomberman a few years later and was it was...fine. A little sloppy, but the core of 94 was still there.

That said, I'm glad it exists as 94 never got a TG16 release in the US. I think only 93 did, ya? I'm not a PCE expert. lol

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I enjoyed Neo Bomberman. It was in spirit Super Bomberman 6, given that the same company (Produce!) worked on all give Super Bomberman entries on SNES. I really liked the visual and found the music to be decent. It sucks that it hasn't seen a re-release though :(

When you think about it, Bomberman was in almost every platform from the 90s. Hell, even the Atari Jaguar was going to receive an entry that was never released (Bomberman Legends).

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I enjoyed nel Bomberman but the more players, the more fun. 2 players felt fairly limiting.

My wife and I got really into the SNES bombermans as well as mega Bomberman, all those are a ton of fun with their single player and multiplayer

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Bomberman Jetters (Gamecube) has some of the best stages. Great fun with 4. Lorry and Weather stages are strong.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I played Neo Bomberman a couple years ago with my kids and enjoyed it, got pretty far into it and went to save the game and come back to finish it later and it's one of the few games that doesn't support the memory card.......Booo

Haven't tried since.
Guess I could just use save states on an emulator though.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I played Neo Bomberman a couple years ago with my kids and enjoyed it, got pretty far into it and went to save the game and come back to finish it later and it's one of the few games that doesn't support the memory card.......Booo

Haven't tried since.
Guess I could just use save states on an emulator though.
Word. It needs memory card save, but there is an alternative: The Unibios doesn't have the cheats built-in, but you can use the Patch Memory option to skip to another stage. Use code 1000E0 and the first value should be as shown below:

01 = 2-1
02 = 3-1
03 = 4-1
04 = 5-1

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Luckily the first world is the best to play and chill for ten minutes. Best music and an unending rotation of teddy bears.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I enjoyed nel Bomberman but the more players, the more fun. 2 players felt fairly limiting.

My wife and I got really into the SNES bombermans as well as mega Bomberman, all those are a ton of fun with their single player and multiplayer
Funny You mention that. My mom played the NES and SNES entries with some of the rusty emulation disc compilations for the Dreamcast back in the early 2000s. She basically introduced me to the older Bomberman games, but she stopped playing Bomberman altogether years later.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Bomberman Jetters (Gamecube) has some of the best stages. Great fun with 4. Lorry and Weather stages are strong.
I played Jetters via a pirate disc for the Gamecube when i was younger but never finished it because i got stuck on the first level of the last area

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
There was a Bomberman game on dreamcast and the weird thing was... It was a US exclusive. It didn't get released in Japan. That struck me as a little weird.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
There was a Bomberman game on dreamcast and the weird thing was... It was a US exclusive. It didn't get released in Japan. That struck me as a little weird.
That's Bomberman Online and by the time it was released, the Dreamcast was already dead in North America

TimKunming

New Challenger
20 Year Member
Played it for the first time on a friend’s TG16 back in the early 90s. Was a HuCard game, if I remember correctly. Found it pretty difficult and a bit confusing—I wasn’t good at it. I appreciate that it has some cultural relevance. Simple and attractive character design.