Not a fan of the series, but I like Neo Bomberman

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Growing up in the 90s I remember the popularity of the Bomberman games, it seemed as if there were as many Bomberman games as there were Mega Man games. But for me the appeal ended at the character design, as most single-screen games were not my taste.

Trying out Neo Bomberman on a whim I found it addicting. It's got a nice presentation and a laid back atmosphere while playing, despite how hectic things can get. Good music, graphics, lots of levels, just a solid game. It made me wish Nightmare in the Dark had as many levels.

It seems Neo Bomberman is a black sheep of the series for only allowing two players, but that doesn't matter to me at all.

Feel free to talk about Neo Bomberman and the rest of the games in the series. Who had nine other friends for Saturn Bomberman anyway?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Growing up in the 90s I remember the popularity of the Bomberman games, it seemed as if there were as many Bomberman games as there were Mega Man games. But for me the appeal ended at the character design, as most single-screen games were not my taste.

Trying out Neo Bomberman on a whim I found it addicting. It's got a nice presentation and a laid back atmosphere while playing, despite how hectic things can get. Good music, graphics, lots of levels, just a solid game. It made me wish Nightmare in the Dark had as many levels.

It seems Neo Bomberman is a black sheep of the series for only allowing two players, but that doesn't matter to me at all.

Feel free to talk about Neo Bomberman and the rest of the games in the series. Who had nine other friends for Saturn Bomberman anyway?
It could have 20 co-op players for all I care.

I never played it 2P lol

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Pretty sure it has the code for 4p in it
I looked through old NBM threads before making this one. The consensus was you could get three CPUs against you in Battle mode but no one ever figured out how to get four human players.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I just recently got into playing this with my kid (10 years old) and it's a blast. We love the animals you can ride - we call the fast bird Shitbird and constantly talk about how it will destroy you with its high speeds. Compared to the other bombermans, the neo version has quite a bit of depth with the different animals, different powerups, unique abilities for characters, and ways you can stun each other and stuff. I'd say this is my favorite in the series as well.

I never played this back in the day, so discovering the last few months has been really enjoyable.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I just got Super Bomberman R2 a few days back.
My son and I hung out and just played for a few hours.
It was mad fun and the best ending to a weekend I've had in a while.
Long live Bomberman is just about any form.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
The Saturn version has up to 20 players, which is just insane. I've played a lot of 4 player mode on Mega Bomberman for Genesis with the Team Tap thing. It's a ton of fun when you've got a group of buddies together. That and Gauntlet 4 were always party game favorites back in the day with their 4 player modes.

Bomberman is addictive in general. They're all pretty much the same regardless of the console, just variations with levels and abilities. The only Bomberman game that I recall being something different was on GBA. While it had the normal Bomberman game mode, it also had a single player adventure. So that one stands out in my memory. But there are probably others out there like it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I like Neo Bomberman and 1-3 On Turbo. That's pretty much the ones I've played. I would like to have Saturn Bomberman because it's supposed to be bonkers.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The Saturn version has up to 20 players, which is just insane. I've played a lot of 4 player mode on Mega Bomberman for Genesis with the Team Tap thing. It's a ton of fun when you've got a group of buddies together. That and Gauntlet 4 were always party game favorites back in the day with their 4 player modes.

Bomberman is addictive in general. They're all pretty much the same regardless of the console, just variations with levels and abilities. The only Bomberman game that I recall being something different was on GBA. While it had the normal Bomberman game mode, it also had a single player adventure. So that one stands out in my memory. But there are probably others out there like it.
Up to 10 players, not 20.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Up to 10 players, not 20.
Ah, thanks. Never actually played the Saturn version, but I've seen the screen all zoomed out to accommodate all the multi-player action. It's pretty crazy. But like I said, even the 4 player on the Genesis was an absolute blast. I'll admit, Bomberman in general is not a game that I gravitate toward single player, but it's fun as hell in multi-player when you get a group of buddies together.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It's a great series, but unfortunately I think the Neo Geo one is kind of a dud. Still glad they made it though.
That's how I feel as well. Neo Bomberman is the worst Bomberman game I have played. Not bad but mediocre. Put NitD or Zupapa in instead.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Saturn Bomberman, even setting aside the massive multi-player, best captures the series magic IMO.

The adventure mode is top notch as is the master mode.

Neo bomber man doesn't even get played here 😞

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Friends, feel free to talk more Bomberman here no matter the console. I liked Neo Bomberman so much I'll try and get around to other entries when I can.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Neo Bomberman is my go to when I'm playing single player - the game is gorgeous with beautiful sprite work and backgrounds...although the world 1 boss is a bit of a dud design wise. If memory serves, I think the game was developed by the same team that made the Super Bomberman games on SNES.

When folks come over to play games, I usually pull out Saturn Bomberman just so I can show off my Saturn Bomberman multi-tap! ^_^

Each Bomberman game has its own quirks and unique items, so it's a bit of a shame there's never been Bomberman Collection kinda thing. I'd dig that. Still one of the best multiplayer experiences around.

Friends, feel free to talk more Bomberman here no matter the console. I liked Neo Bomberman so much I'll try and get around to other entries when I can.
Give Bomberman 94 on PCE a shot. Excellent version and fun little story with some really great music.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I guess you can tell from my avatar that I enjoy this series... Loved the first Dynablaster/Bomberman on my Amiga 500. I didn't have a Super Famicom or a PCE with a multitap, so I had to wait for the PS1 to play Bomberman as it's meant to be played - total multiplayer chaos with friends.
Our favorite was, strangely enough, Bomberman World, a game with an isometric view and prerendered graphics that might put off some purists... but it's got some great level design for the arenas. The "racing" arena is great fun, you have these tiles that make you super slow or uncontrollably fast, and change each time a player steps on them, ranging from 1 to 5; and there's only one place where you can get bonuses, but you're always at risk of being trapped there by other players. Then there's the mine carts, with buttons that change the route of the tracks (and you can run over players). Still my favorite Bomberman.
Bomberman Online on the Dreamcast is great for the gimmick of the Hyper Bomber mode, a race to collect three items and then get to the center of the map, instantly killing all other players.
Of course any good Bomberman from the Super Famicom or PCEngine era is great fun with multiplayer, and I wish I had Saturn Bomberman back in the day.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Honestly, I never touched Neo Bomberman because I owned Saturn Bomberman.... but I just watched some clips and it does look really fun. I think you are right in that it looks like a fun version of the game. I'm not sure why I always dismissed it.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I played the SNES one and that was the last one I played. Did you guys go outside at all? Maybe I wasn't even that into gaming as a kid.