Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
In more ways than one! The detectives have to circumvent privacy laws regarding library records.
Even then, the case wouldn't have been closed if the killer hadn't turned himself in. Which is a super-limp way to solve a mystery. The movie is carried on the back of Freeman's performance and the new-for-the-time cinematic style. Taken as a whole, the movie is just okay. But at least it moves along quickly.

I thought we were about the same age and looked up she's 42 and I thought holy shit she'd old. Then I realized she's only a few years older than me and that just messed up my whole damn night.
You are entering the era of rewatching movies you grew up with and realizing the "old man" characters were actors younger than you are now. Enjoy!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I had $60 in coupons from Criterion, so I jumped on the 50% off sale. I mainly got DVD-only stuff that seems like it will never get a Blu-ray or 4K release.
  • Made in USA
  • Henry V (underrated, IMO - watched this in college as part of the "Adapting Page to Screen" class)
  • And God Created Women
  • Eclipse Series 12: Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy
  • Hard Day's Night (bday gift for someone else, not my tea)
I was thinking of grabbing Man Bites Dog, but figured this is more than enough for a while.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
This sentence blew me away and I thought you were gay. Bryce Dallas Howard, with that ass, frumpy? Nah dawg.

Then a few nights ago I saw a commercial for Argyle and thought to myself holy shit she IS frumpy. I thought we were about the same age and looked up she's 42 and I thought holy shit she'd old. Then I realized she's only a few years older than me and that just messed up my whole damn night.

At least I'll always have Spider-Man 3 Bryce Dallas Howard.
Is Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain the same person? I get them confused

Even Ron Howard thought soIMG_9294.jpeg

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
  • Henry V (underrated, IMO - watched this in college as part of the "Adapting Page to Screen" class)
Yeah that one is really good. My mom was an British Literature teacher and I was forced to watch a ton of stuff growing up and thus appreciate a lot of things that normally wouldn't be in my wheel house like that.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I had $60 in coupons from Criterion, so I jumped on the 50% off sale. I mainly got DVD-only stuff that seems like it will never get a Blu-ray or 4K release.
  • Made in USA
  • And God Created Women
  • Eclipse Series 12: Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy
  • Hard Day's Night (bday gift for someone else, not my tea)
I was thinking of grabbing Man Bites Dog, but figured this is more than enough for a while.
Nice. I caught the sale today too and grabbed a couple box sets & a couple others. Have a few March B-days in the fam coming up so it was good timing. Lucky them.
juDhyP6.png

Opie's girl's badonkadonk
lol

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I refuse to buy that Criterion Jackie Chan set just for The Young Master and Lucky Stars. I hate the way these collections have split all of the good movies across a bunch of different sets and individual releases, it's a mess. Plus there's still no US release for Police Story 4 and Who am I? I mean I'm glad this stuff is even getting proper releases but still I'd much rather be able to buy them piecemeal than in expensive mediocre sets. The Project A set is like $100 for 2 movies, they're both awesome but that's ridiculous, especially considering the In The Line Of Duty set was only like $50 for 4 movies from the same company.

Is Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain the same person? I get them confused

Even Ron Howard thought soView attachment 72337
Jessica Chasten didn't used to look like that. I've seen her in some early stuff and she looked like an anorexic horse. Definitely got some work done when she got to Hollywood. Still don't think she looks all that good.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Wonka

This has been out a long time now and kids and wife wanted to see it so we finally had a night for $5 Tuesday at the theater and it is miraculously still running.

Reviews seem very positive (80s critic and 90s audience on RT) and this one just did not work for me. I'm not sure what story they wanted to tell, it is 2 hours of largely ending up back where we started until we don't and everything gets a nice bow and we put Wonka in his main factory room (chocolate river one) from the original.

So ultimately it is an origin story with Wonka befriending either the salt of the downtrodden Earth or a band of wacky misfits or a perfectly assembled Ocean's Eleven heist team depending on which part of the movie we are in. He is a man with a dream that refuses to be crushed by a sometimes overly malicious 'real world'. His rise to success, which to me offers the only avenue for chocolate making fun or shenanigans is skimmed over almost entirely so that we can instead focus a huge chunk of time on a couple of laundry shop owners who trick needy travelers into servitude in a fashion that the Thenardiers of Les Mis thought to cruel to employ. The main action ends with a "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" silliness which then gives way to a letdown coda of an unnecessary plot point wrapup and then the aforementioned 'put the character into the thing you remember' moment in the Wonka factory.

The songs are on the whole solid. Not much to complain about there, but I'm not sure any of the new material will be a classic considering they lean heavily on a mildly reworked Pure Imagination to carry the whole soundtrack anyway. As always, things today sound much too 'polished in the studio' ala Glee and I prefer the sound of older musicals that seem like someone might actually be singing the song as the walk down the street, but that is admittedly a complaint shouted into the void, I doubt anyone will be returning more raw vocal work any time soon.

Chalamet overall works as a young Wonka, I liked him in the role. The rest of the good guy side characters were all fine, the comedian was a standout though. On the bad guy side, the rival chocolatiers were all very good characters, but again, their actions are malicious beyond a lighthearted fun that I think the movies should have gone with. Keegan Michael-Key and Rowan Atkinson being baddies paid off strictly through chocolate is...fine, but otherwise their characters didn't offer much of anything interesting.

Anyway, that's probably more thought that this deserves. It isn't Depp Wonka weird, but it really isn't any good either. I'll just watch the Wilder one again if I need more Wonka.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I refuse to buy that Criterion Jackie Chan set just for The Young Master and Lucky Stars. I hate the way these collections have split all of the good movies across a bunch of different sets and individual releases, it's a mess. Plus there's still no US release for Police Story 4 and Who am I? I mean I'm glad this stuff is even getting proper releases but still I'd much rather be able to buy them piecemeal than in expensive mediocre sets. The Project A set is like $100 for 2 movies, they're both awesome but that's ridiculous, especially considering the In The Line Of Duty set was only like $50 for 4 movies from the same company.

A few things...
1) the premise of the Emergence set from Criterion is indeed wack... not a lot of rhyme or reason other than "silly" and "goofball...kung fu" from his early years. wtf, fair point. Honestly if Criterion wanted to have this set be a true ode to his emergence, I don't see how they could've left out Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978).
2) You mention US releases. This set includes 4 titles that hadn't been released and/or remastered stateside yet. Weird grouping for sure, but there is that.
3) "gift". The operative word. I know the recipient will love it. It was half off. The end. Although your resolve to avoid the set is admirable and justifiable (no sarcasm).

Police Story 4 / First strike: Although the current release on BR is just basically a regurgitated Golden Harvest pressing, it's still not awful. But I think to the broader point (janky seemingly piecemealed sets), it would have been nice if Criterion would've had at least 1-3 (ideally all 4) included in their Police Story box set instead of just 1 & 2. Perplexing.

Although just DVD, a couple of the other great Chan sets that I personally own are the two on the bottom row below (Police Story the Armour of God) from Fortune Star. Nice transfer (you have an Oppo, right? My UDP-203 upscales beautifully and is region free as yours should be too) and the DTS tracks on these releases kicks ass. Furthermore, DVD releases (such as this Wheels on Meals (1984)) from the now defunct UK-based Contender Home Entertainment, published under their Platinum HK Edition moniker are thoughtful english-based Fortune Star restorations - usually with a ton of extra content. Several great Chan titles out there from Contender - you can tell these were a labor of love. But yeah, defunct. And a bummer. Would've loved to see some of their releases on BR.

SxAphTc.jpg

I'm probably preaching to the choir but there is good Chan content out there but it is indeed a pain in the ass to piece together, especially if one has regional constraints with their player(s).

tl;dr - just give us Chan fans some properly restored films across his catalogue with some semblance of consistency pls.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
tl;dr - just give us Chan fans some properly restored films across his catalogue with some semblance of consistency pls.
Yeah, I just think it's weird how the licensing has been split between a bunch of different companies. Especially since like you mentioned all of these masters are coming from Fortune Star and had their own individual releases in Asia. Makes no sense to stuff them in awkward sets when they could make a ton more money with standalone releases for most of them. Especially after getting the 88 Films releases, they are up there with Criterion, Arrow and VS. I'd love to have more HK stuff of that quality.

I'm hesitant to import stuff since it almost always gets a US release one way or another. I have imported the Fortune Star releases of Bullet in the Head and A Better Tomorrow 1&2 though, those and Woo's other HK movies seem to be stuck in licensing hell.

And yeah the Oppo upscales incredibly well. I recently got Eastern Condors on DVD from FS/Fox and it looked really good.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Grave Encounters 1&2- I just going to lump both of these together.

I am generally not a fan of found footage horror or ghost hunting shows. Although I am a big fan of making fun of ghost hunting shows and the type of people that are into it. Unfortunately I think this was a huge missed opportunity, they should have gone one step further with the parody and some sort of big twist ending. I do appreciate them essentially making a feature length piss take on Zak Bagans and nailing the level of douchebaggery and phoniness that the genre is known for.

Essentially this is about a team of ghost hunters that lock themselves in an abandoned sanitarium overnight to record their paranormal investigation. Since it's a found footage flick you get to see that it's mostly staged, complete with a phony psychic, lots of hype and overreacting to nothing etc. Of course the twist is that it's all actually real, they become trapped, start to go crazy and are terrorized by real ghosts. That's about as clever as it gets though.

The biggest problem with this is that the actual ghost and paranormal stuff that happens towards the end is pretty underwhelming. It's all cliched and uninspired. Things move on their own, people get tossed around by invisible ghost, when you do see the ghosts they're about as generic and lame as it gets.

The sequel is about a group of film students who are obsessed with the events of the first movie so they set out to prove that it actually did happen and believe that their knowledge will allow them to I guess succeed where the first group failed. It's not great, it lacks the fun parody angle and instead replaces that with the concept that the first movie was real, so kind of a meta thing going on. Yeah it's lazy and annoying just plain bad.

I'd give the first one a 5/10 and the sequel a 3/10.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Wailing- South Korean horror from the writer/director of The Chaser and The Yellow Sea. This was excellent and worth sitting through the almost 3 hour runtime.

A rash of bizarre murders and suicides plague a rural village and rumors begin to spread that it's caused by an old Japanese man living out in the woods. When the main character's daughter starts behaving strangely he suspects that she may be possessed and that the man in the woods is actually a demon. He enlists a shaman to perform an exorcism and drive out the evil spirits but things don't work out as expected.

The acting is excellent, the pacing is pretty good and it's an extremely well made movie overall. It has a very unique vibe that is almost impossible to describe. Unfortunately the ending was very underwhelming, all the pieces are there and it should be satisfactory but it just feels very empty, especially after such a long and escalating buildup. It's not botched it's just that the resolution is kind of presented in a way that lacks any impact. I don't think that I expected too much, the movie builds in a way where it seems like the ending is going to be fairly impactful but then it just kind of trails off with a whimper.

I don't know, it's a weird one. Definitely worth a watch though.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I watched this movie called Bottoms recently. It's a 2023 comedy about lesbian high school students who start a fight club because they think it will help them score with cheerleaders. It also has a bunch of violence in it, people getting bloody and even killed, which you wouldn't expect from a movie like this. But that's kind of the point, the movie very self consciously tries to flout norms associated with high school movies. Not sure that current high school students are the target audience as they wouldn't get all the jokes and references... All in all, it was good, I recommend it. Btw the movie was written by women, which I thought was interesting given the level of violence. I also watched it with two women, who greatly enjoyed it.
I read this as "pegging."

Anyway... I have recently rewatched a ton of shit that I mostly remembered liking, along with a few new films:
  1. Surrounded (new! and pretty good!) - genuinely very good. Wright is a very solid lead actress but she doesn't really offer any, I dunno, thrills. Bell is awesome as an understated bad guy. Very good story told even better.
  2. The Nun 2 (new and not terrible!)- fine. Some good jump scares, lore works. Taissa Farmiga should be the scream queen for the indefinite future.
  3. The Last Voyage of the Demeter (new and fucking awful!) - just, no. Literally nothing happens in the first 50 minutes of this.
  4. Collateral - still pretty damn fun to watch, but Mann is clearly more style than substance. The setpieces and the soundtrack ("Shadow of the Sun" plays through at three separate times) carry the movie. It's still fun but time has not been kind.
  5. Aquaman 2 fucks himself in Atlantis, Fuck - there's zero charm from the first one. Zero anything really. I'm one of the biggest DC apologists around and I'll readily admit that this was fucking terrible. Glad they lost $200M here, make movies that people might like you idiots. Glad James Gunn canned this from happening again.
  6. OKAY here break to move from awful trash to non-trash.
  7. Robocop - Holy shit if this hasn't held up remarkably well. As relevant today, if not more so, than ever. Love it. Verhoven should have dropped the mic and retired.
  8. Bloodlands - now into old-ish indy horror... yeah. Is okay. MacIntish is good, nowhere near what she becomes in Walking Dead. The lack of pretty much any plot development doesn't really help.
  9. Intruders - I like it more than I remembered. The story works, the characters work, the acting is right on. Pretty good for a small-scale backyard thriller. Recommended.
  10. Satan's Slaves - not a good re-watch, to be honest. I like Anwar, but his stuff all tends to be very similar, and the later entries are better than the earlier ones. For having his talent, I dunno why he's not tried to branch out a bit.
  11. Containment - pretty good, stands up to a re-watch. Very familiar story but told and executed well.

Currently doing all the New French Extremity (re)-watches.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
No, I'm not fat and I'm not paying extra for a novelty sex toy popcorn bucket.

I'll probably see it next week, all the Imax screens here are sold out and I have sportsball tickets for tomorrow night

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
No, I'm not fat and I'm not paying extra for a novelty sex toy popcorn bucket.

I'll probably see it next week, all the Imax screens here are sold out and I have sportsball tickets for tomorrow night

How are weekly sales of the popcorn bucket going though? Surely, you could update us on that.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
How are weekly sales of the popcorn bucket going though? Surely, you could update us on that.
I dunno about the buckets but the movie is looking at a 150-200M global opening weekend, and it hasn't opened in China or Japan yet. It's going to do more than well enough for Dune Messiah to get made and complete the trilogy, so that's all that really matters.

• Love
Reactions: wyo

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Windy City Heat

One of the funniest movies ever made to me. I put this one on a lot in the background since there's a full upload on youtube, but I sit down and really watch it a few times a year as well. So many good lines and bits that make me smile upon every viewing and for better or worse this movie helped cultivate a strange fondness for watching goobs get goofed on.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I dunno about the buckets but the movie is looking at a 150-200M global opening weekend, and it hasn't opened in China or Japan yet. It's going to do more than well enough for Dune Messiah to get made and complete the trilogy, so that's all that really matters.
Can't wait to hear how he plans to continue the novels' story after changing the ending of the first book.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Just saw Dune part 2, and it was a masterpiece. I feel like we are experiencing a modern day LOTR, but better. What I mean by that is, thr quality is there. You're in good hands watching something that will be considered a masterpieces for decades to come, and we are in the midst or it. Amazing experience.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Everything Everywhere All at Once
It was a bit much. I can just imagine the writers being like “whoa bro that’s ridonculous!” “Yeah bro super ridonculous lolercopters!!”

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Everything Everywhere All at Once
It was a bit much. I can just imagine the writers being like “whoa bro that’s ridonculous!” “Yeah bro super ridonculous lolercopters!!”
I liked it and @basic did a great job with his part.