SOTM March 2024: Battle Mania Daiginjou

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
After much deliberation, here we are: Battle Mania Daiginjou

1709417773417.png

Released in 1993 on the Mega Drive in Japan. This one never got any kind of international release, it turns out.

Ginjou is very high quality sake. Daiginjou is top quality sake. Like adding the XO onto the end of your game name in the west. Or something, who knows?

You didn’t decide to add something like ‘Zwei’ or ‘Second’ for the sequel, but instead went with ‘Daiginjo’ why was that? Wasn’t it difficult to get that unusual name approved?​

Takayan: For Daiginjo, deciding on a name was the single most difficult thing as I was dead set on not simply adding ‘2’. During development, we used 95 (because the game is set in an alternate Tokyo in 1995) but I wasn’t fond of it. Still, rather than adding something generic I wanted something interesting like “La Grande Vadrouille” or “Nostalgic forget-me-nots” I deliberated over it for around 2 months until one day I thought “Wait, I love sake” so I’m going to call it ‘Daiginjo’ (the highest quality sake). When I told PR they thought I was joking around like normal. Some less imaginative members of the sales and development teams didn’t like it but they realized I wouldn’t listen to them even if they told me to change it, so in the end, they caved in.

The usual drill: one credit, stock everything.

Submit your scores in this format, please:

Name - Score - Level - Platform (Genesis, Mega Drive, Mister, Emulator, etc).

As always, no shenanigans. Respect the game, your fellow players, and the spirit of shooting.

The MD cart is not an easy one to come by, and I realize a lot of us don’t have it. If you need a way to play, PM me and I’ll get you set up.

Happy shooting!

Last edited:

Ajax

15 Year Member
Name
Score
Level
Platform
Roker999,999 (18 hearts remaining)All???
Neodogg999,999 (2 hearts remaining)All???
prof267,400??????

Last edited:

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
You guys might remember Trouble Shooter. That was the NA and EU title of the first Battle Mania game. This is the sequel which never left Asia. I loved the first game, but this is my first time playing the second one.

I should note that after you die, there's no easy way to take a photo of your score. You have to let the continue timer run out, and then either wait for the attract screen to show a gameplay video or just start a new game, and take your picture then. Because your high score will be shown at the top of the screen thereafter.

Edit: Might as well post a score tonight since I just played it for a while.

prof - 267400
20240302-214735.jpg

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I wonder if I can 1cc this again. Time to fire it up again after all these years.

Old pic, never took a high score shot:

IMG_6474.jpeg

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
You know…SMH…I guess I have been playing the first Battle Mania instead the Daiginjou on the ED…ugh

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Found the correct rom…pretty cool game so far. Graphics are pretty good for a Genny game…

1709499047407.jpeg
Got to the train level, makes it hard when you can only shoot forward and back but can’t move up/down. Having fun so far.

Dogg - 473,700

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Slight improvement on the train, seems like since I can’t do the 8-way that well I just need to avoid the dropping Xmas light and use my “bomb” to hit the caboose?

1709604309864.jpeg
Dogg - 488,700

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Huh…didn’t know you can change your orbit ships…

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
IMG_6487.jpeg

roker - 813,500

I hope I’m wrong, but I think this game might max out at all 9s. I think 1cc for this one is very easy actually but it’s also easy to die instantly by getting stuck behind a wall when it’s auto scrolling.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Shit. I was right. Maxed. 1cc:

IMG_6490.jpeg

roker - 999,999 - All - Sega Genesis (via Everdrive) - (18 hearts remaining)

Edit: maybe we can include the amount of life left. It might be challenging to do a no hit 1cc.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
roker rollin’ on fools, lol. Is there an alternate game? 😬

I haven’t even grabbed the rawm yet.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Alllllll right, scoreboard updated.

Going forward, please submit your scores in this format:

Name - Score - Level - Platform

Still haven't gotten a chance to play, but trying to get something going soon.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Nice work doggie 💪

Scoreboard updated. Maybe I'll play sometime soon!