Real CPS1 Multi!?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
So, apparently CPS1 Multi kits are a thing. I recently acquired a dedicated (beautiful) Magic Sword Dynamo HS1 cab specifically for a handful of CPS1 games I want to source (Magic Sword being one of them). As I already have a CPS2 Multi from Darksoft I did some digging to see if there was a similar solution for CPS1.

I stumbled upon the YouTube video linked below. I found the seller on Ebay who makes these kits and he's sold quite a few of them this year and has a 100% seller rating - with all very happy customers with their product. Looks like it runs on a legit A board with a custom B board, and a modded C board.

The listing I found was from June, and was expired, so I reached out to the guy personally and he said that he had one ready and would ship to me this week. Sent him a (buy protection) payment via PayPal. Saved me quite a bit on sales tax this way, lol. It's a bit of a gamble at $368 bucks, but if it ends up being solid it would be well worth more folks looking into. Free shipping too!

I'll report back when I get it in (3 weeks or so) and do a full breakdown/review.

There's a couple of these available on Ebay right now, but it is US buyers who apparently got the kit from the same dude and are charging over $900 for it! Yay capitalism!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEwMdMacs1o&t=15s&ab_channel=MarcOrbito

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Bizarre how this has flown under the radar whilst everyone in the retro world waits for the DS CPS1 multi.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Bizarre how this has flown under the radar whilst everyone in the retro world waits for the DS CPS1 multi.

Right? I remember some talk about the DS one sometime last year, and even an early pre-order list then radio silence. I just got my shipment notification, so hopefully I'll have good things to report soon.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Also the Q Sound games are unplayable. I thought for Punisher and C&D they could have done something to at least get the music to sound somewhat similar using the cps1 sound chip but it's just hacks. They also offer a much more expensive qsound version but no way would I ever buy that one especially after getting this one. I rather play the cps1 roms on a cps2 multi than have this. If I knew you were in the market for one of these I would have sold you just the multi board at a great price.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I have one of these. Mine arrived defective and still doesn't work properly. It's a expensive piece of shit.

By the way, these have been out for some time now.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...n-a-PCB-I-ordered-from-China&referrerid=15958

Oh wow, missed that thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Sucks that your came defective, man. Hopefully this venture will fair better. That said, I'm not too fussed - if it works it will save me some cash in the short term. If not, well, I'll have learned not to take another chance with China.

Also the Q Sound games are unplayable. I thought for Punisher and C&D they could have done something to at least get the music to sound somewhat similar using the cps1 sound chip but it's just hacks. They also offer a much more expensive qsound version but no way would I ever buy that one especially after getting this one. I rather play the cps1 roms on a cps2 multi than have this. If I knew you were in the market for one of these I would have sold you just the multi board at a great price.

No worries! Wish I would have searched the forum here first rather than google, lol.

I saw the thing about it not being fully compatible with 1.5, but I'm good with that. I have a the DS CPS2 kit in my HS5, so I have access to the Punisher already. Wait - is the CPS2 multi fully back compat with CPS1 games, or just some 1.5 games?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Oh wow, missed that thread. Thanks for the heads up.

Sucks that your came defective, man. Hopefully this venture will fair better. That said, I'm not too fussed - if it works it will save me some cash in the short term. If not, well, I'll have learned not to take another chance with China.

No worries! Wish I would have searched the forum here first rather than google, lol.

I saw the thing about it not being fully compatible with 1.5, but I'm good with that. I have a the DS CPS2 kit in my HS5, so I have access to the Punisher already. Wait - is the CPS2 multi fully back compat with CPS1 games, or just some 1.5 games?

No, I'm hoping they release more cps1 roms for the CPS2 Multi. Only cps1 games I have running are Street Fighter II Turbo and Punisher. I would love C&D.

I hope your multi arrives in fully working condition. It does the job playing cps1 games fine. Also, the games are all Japanese I believe. So no different regions. Thankfully the seller gave me a partial refund.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
No, I'm hoping they release more cps1 roms for the CPS2 Multi. Only cps1 games I have running are Street Fighter II Turbo and Punisher. I would love C&D.

I hope your multi arrives in fully working condition. It does the job playing cps1 games fine. Also, the games are all Japanese I believe. So no different regions. Thankfully the seller gave me a partial refund.

Hyper Fighting works on the CPS2 Multi!? Any drawbacks with it running on that? That's the only version of SF2 I care about these days.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hyper Fighting works on the CPS2 Multi!? Any drawbacks with it running on that? That's the only version of SF2 I care about these days.

Same here. Not that I noticed. It plays fine to me and sounds good.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I have a couple original CPS1 boards, but honestly I never bother to swap them into my NAC now that I have a MiSTer in there. Plays all the CPS1 games (and more), with CPS2 in the pipe.

Figure I can get my mint CPS1 JPN Final Fight graded and encased in acrylic... Should bump the value up to like $40k.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member

Technically it uses the music from SSF2 New Challengers (?) I believe, but it is still pretty close to the original.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Okay, cool. I thought I read about something like that last year when I got my CPS2 Multi. Still, I might give it a shot. Thanks for the info!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It runs on a legit A board?

Pass...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The real issue with all of these multis is that they all run on A boards. When the custom shits the bed it's lights out. Id much rather an fpga A board be made then a shitty multi.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Ya, so did Panzer Paladin bring that itch back, or just coincidence? From the vids I saw, there was a boss battle and a platforming section that looked Magic Sword inspired.

Maybe subconsciously? Lol - I used to play Magic Sword a ton at the local Aladdin's Castle growing up, so I have a big soft spot for that game and the CPS1 in general. This is my b-day present to myself for the last year of my 30's. ha!

Logged onto FB Marketplace and the MS cab was in my recommended list - cheap, clean, well maintained, and the monitor chassis was just recapped and looks great. Even the cab art is in overall great condition and isn't too faded. Although, I may still replace the art down the road.

If the A board eventually breaks down, I have another to swap out (the one with MS) or I'll go down the Mister Jamma route at that point. A buddy is into the Mister project and I'm super impressed with it. This project gives me an opportunity to learn more about the CPS1 hardware hands on, and gaining knowledge is always the endgame for me. :)

Last edited:

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Quick update. Jusy got in the multi yesterday. Very well packed, super-duper clean (not a spec of dust on the A-board) and looks like the A board also had a cap replacement. It even included a small remote for game switching - which is perfect as it will be used in a cab. Installed it into the Magic Sword cab last night and put it through rounds of tests. Overall, I'm quite impressed. That said, only time will tell if it lasts. So far so good, though.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Why does the Darksoft CPS1 multi have to cost $800? The CPS2 multi was only $400 originally, $600 now.

Any solution for dead A boards yet?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Because you're going to pay it. All arcade stuff worth a damn is stupid expensive now.
I'm not paying it. That's more than I've ever spent on a single game, let alone a multi.