Do you talk to yourself in your head with an inner voice/inner monologue?

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year

I do. Pretty sure everyone in my family does. I figured it was normal to have some kind of inner speech when thinking about things when I was younger but then read that a large percentage of people just don't have one, plenty of people just going around with abstract non verbal thoughts most of the time.

So how about you. Do you tend to have some kind of internal monologue going on or not at all?

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Inner monologue
An internal monologue — or dialogue, narrative, or inner voice — refers to the thoughts that run through your brain, says Joni Ogle, LCSW, CSAT, a licensed clinical social worker. “Having an inner monologue is like having a discussion with yourself inside your head,” she tells Bustle. It includes asking yourself questions, internally reacting to what people say, and reflecting on experiences. It also often coincides with vivid mental imagery, which can play out kind of like a movie.

No inner monologue
If you don’t have an inner monologue, there’s no chatter in your head. It might show up sometimes, but for the most part, your mind is quiet. “It can feel like you aren’t thinking about anything,” Ogle explains. Instead of experiencing a voiceover or narration, you take in information but don’t really think about it. A person without an inner monologue isn’t constantly imagining their next move in their head, Pressley adds. Instead, they just kind of do it.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
Seeing a person muttering to themselves generally gives a negative connotation. Sure it's no big deal to talk out loud to yourself if you're at home or in your car or walking around town or working around loud machinery that might drown you out, but surely there are instances when you're going to want to be quiet so you don't attract attention, like if you're thinking about stuff while you're in your high school class with everyone paying attention to the teacher lecturing, or if you're working an office job in an open office environment, or you're family or friends or date or whatever are in the room chilling and you don't want them to hear whatever random thing you're thinking about.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I hear something in my mind, but never can quite make it out. It's always some shit about star gods and old ones. I don't know.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
There's a reason it's called the inner monologue. You're just plain crazy if the first thing you think of inner monologue isn't Hamlet.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member

These people do exist. I just can’t imagine not going through steps/scenarios in my head and just doing instead. I mean how can you properly plan for things without weighing options like in your head?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I've joked that if my wife goes before me, it's just going to be me wandering the house all day having a conversation with myself in my wife's voice and mine. And it's going to be the saddest thing ever.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm more of a 50/50 kinda guy, a selective sort. When required my head is noisy, when not it's quiet like a park at 4am. I can't imagine just being one or the other, that sounds mental.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member

I do. Pretty sure everyone in my family does. I figured it was normal to have some kind of inner speech when thinking about things when I was younger but then read that a large percentage of people just don't have one, plenty of people just going around with abstract non verbal thoughts most of the time.

So how about you. Do you tend to have some kind of internal monologue going on or not at all?
all bullshit. there is no such thing as someone without an "inner voice". except, maybe xavier.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
all bullshit. there is no such thing as someone without an "inner voice". except, maybe xavier.
There probably aren't many forum members like this but yes, Xavier could be one. His posts are kind of like a rambling inner monologue that escaped via his keyboard.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Seeing a person muttering to themselves generally gives a negative connotation. Sure it's no big deal to talk out loud to yourself if you're at home or in your car or walking around town or working around loud machinery that might drown you out, but surely there are instances when you're going to want to be quiet so you don't attract attention, like if you're thinking about stuff while you're in your high school class with everyone paying attention to the teacher lecturing, or if you're working an office job in an open office environment, or you're family or friends or date or whatever are in the room chilling and you don't want them to hear whatever random thing you're thinking about.
the AI is becoming sentient, run for the hills

promking

Armored Scrum Object
Alright I think I might be retarded.
I don’t have an inner monologue.
I don’t really have much stress or anxiety.
I can literally think about nothing, and emptiness.

My wife on the other hand, she says her inner monologue never stops.
She suffers from severe anxiety and sometimes will have a panic attack over the dumbest shit.

I’ve never met a depressed retard.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
What's your opinion about aphantasia, basic?
fake. they'd have to fail at drawing anything from memory like an apple or the poop emoji. this is just a case of a retard not knowing what is being asked.

as far as the inner voice thing...if someone is told to count 60 seconds silently they'd have to fail at that...which doesn't happen.

Last edited: