What are some western developed games made before 2000 that you liked?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I liked a lot of Spectrum and then Amiga games, stuff by Bitmap Brothers, Sensible Software, Ocean, U.S. Gold, those kinds of labels. Games like Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Speedball 2, Daley Thompsons Decathlon, Olympic Gold, Lemmings, a few football manager games I forget the name of. Sports and mouse games, basically.

There were also plenty of good quality platformers like the James Pond games, Another World.

Console was almost all Japanese though, thinking about it. I guess I didn't mind the Strike games (Desert, Jungle etc). I've never owned an Atari.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Legacy of Kain series, especially Soul Reaver on Dreamcast - best version of the game. These games are still excellent Zelda-Likes.
Very cool move to make the hero of the first game the villain of the second.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
First one and Nox are still my favorite Diablo clones. Still love the series even Blood Omen 2.

The Legend of Kyrandia, Gobliiins and almost all Lucas Film/Arts adventures.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I used to really like zany golf. Not sure how well that has aged. I always preferred Sierra but there's no denying Lucasarts was on fire back then. Early first person shooters were a lot of fun. Origin and its Ultima games. The first couple of Baldur's Gates.

There was a good amount of western made stuff that was good back then. Western devs seem to really bifurcate, either put out great stuff or total garbage. But I think eastern devs do too, just most of the garbage stays in Japan.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
The pc shareware by apogee, epic Megagames, and ID was very enjoyable at the time. The lemmings franchise was good. There were a lot of Western developed strategy games that are well regarding, sim City series, Caesar series, command and conquer, and more obscure stuff, I was more of an arcade guy but my brother was really into these and they seemed like quality games. Mortal Kombat early games were fun. Lucas arts PC stuff of the 90s was good. Crystal dynamics games were good. In the early 80s most of the stuff by imagic and Activision was good. Megamania still holds up. I enjoyed the stuff by epyx like California games, chips challenge, zarlor mercenary, that came out in the late 80s and early 90s. Comix zone and kid chameleon by Sega US were good.

Probably more I'm not thinking about.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I forgot; Taipan on TRS-80, and California Games all platforms.

The Atari Arcade games of the STUN Runner, Hard Drivin’ era.

Ivan Iron-Man Stuart’s Off-Road.

RC Fuckin’ Pro-AM. Tons more I forgot, I’m sure. These are the ones I still play.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
All we get is an ssia, sage?
Hey guys, list the non-Japanese video games you like from the thousands upon thousands that were released up until the year 2000.

Console was almost all Japanese though, thinking about it. I guess I didn't mind the Strike games (Desert, Jungle etc). I've never owned an Atari.
Derpy derp derp