Talking with gamers at work should be fun, but it's depressing.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
What the fuck is wrong with gamers at work?

I can't even talk to these people. I work with thousands of people, and in nearly 20 years I never met someone with even halfway decent taste in games.

I don't even bring it up anymore because I know that I will have to endure future conversations.

They only talk about Call of Duty and ForkKnife. That's literally it. Nothing else.

You can try to explain that you're not really into those games, but once break the gaming seal it's over. They will always approach you and be like "ForkKnife dropped the classic maps, you should check it out".

I'm mentally like, "just get me the fuck out of here". I'm ready to quit slacking off and actually earn my money.

On extremely rare occasions you might meet some guy that played some Nintendo developed game on Switch (Zelda), or a Resident Evil guy, but that's the best you can really hope for. Even that is an extremely rare experience that should be cherished.

If I met one person that played something other than COD or Fortnite I would be pretty surprised.

If I met someone that actually played something like fighting games, SHMUPS, or some good, lesser-known games like Katamari Damacy, Guilty Gear, or Shadow of the Colossus, I would probably shit my pants on the spot. If they still played retro games other than Pokemon and Nintendo developed games, I would shit the pants for certain, 100%.

Then there are the "cheap gamers". They won't play anything unless it's free. Basically only shitty mobile cash grab games. Not even good free games. They are just so fucking cheap, that they won't even spend $5.00 on a real game that will give them 80 hours of enjoyment.

You can't recommend anything. No one will ever listen. If you try to lend them a game, so they can experience what a real game is, they will never even try it. They will just keep saying they been too busy while going on about that COD arena mode game.

The whole experience is mentally draining and a complete waste of time...

Hopefully some of you are more lucky.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I think this is just endemic in society. Doesn't matter where I am or who I'm talking to, if somebody finds out I'm a "gamer" or I mention something about video games I get asked about Call of Duty or Fortnite. If I mention I play fighting games, it always goes back to Mortal Kombat. Frustrating, but I usually just play it off as there is absolutely no use in trying to talk intelligently about the medium.

At the same time, clerks and shoppers at retro games shops aren't any better as most are clueless collectors these days driven by the drivel they see on YouTube and market value prices on "investments."

Honestly, this problem is a big reason I stick around here. While I don't get involved in many of the threads, I respect the long-term collective knowledge of our members - especially those of us from the DHP days.

sirlynxalot

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Fagit of the Year
A guy at work mentioned he had old games at home. I asked him what he had. He said "everything". I asked him if he had a Jaguar or 3do and he said no. Turns out he had a SNES, Genesis, tg16, and ps1. Felt weird talking about games at work though, we never talked about it again after the one conversation.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My coworker is a real honest-to-god gamer, just with totally different tastes than me. We don't play the same games so we don't talk about it much, but he does at least have a good PC and plays legit games.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Went to the local barcade with a co worker who recently started. He’s of similar age and into a lot of the same goob I’m into. We played X-men vs. Street Fighter, Area 51 and Iron Man Stewart’s Off-road. A few beers and some goobing made for a fun evening.

moe talks a big game about not discussing games at work but had Lego on his office shelf. Yeah I know it was a gift but it could have landed in your home office😜

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
I’m not sure how this one guy I work with and I even figured out that we both play old games, but we did, and talk about it sometimes. He told me that he bought Tail Concerto recently, meaning he paid at least $300 probably..that’s something.

Then another guy in the office has a codec ringtone on his phone and an empty Calorie Mate box on his desk. I don’t run into him that much but we’ve talked Metal Gear a bit.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They are not the problem, you are.

Your opening statement sounds like the average snob for almost any scene:
They dont like good beer, I only drink local microbrews...
They dont like good music, they only listen to what's on the radio...

Millions of people play CoD. It's clearly not the worst game ever. Fighting games and shmups are retro and a dying genre.
Go play some boomer shooters while shaking your fist in the air and complaining about whippersnappers and their CoD.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Youre right greedo when you have perfect taste in video games everyone else falls short in the eyes of Yahweh.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
When I was in high school, I was quoted by EGM in an article. A classmate said hey man I saw you in EGM, that's really cool man. I said thanks.

Quoted by EGM and friends with Cboyardee. Sage, you've been keeping files on us so we wouldn't think to keep a file on you but the jig is up.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I feel like video games moving online and gaining a social aspect for adults (you can't get a group of friends together for local play as an adult with anything like the ease you could as a kid) is the least depressing thing to happen in video games that I can remember.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Greedo works in a large hospital so while there are thousands of people they're pretty much about as mainstream and bland as it gets.

Honestly you'd get a similar reaction even if you're talking about movies, books or music.

If you say you like movies and watched a couple good ones this weekend and those movies were Blade Runner and Kagemusha. 99% chance a coworker who also claims to love movies will have watched something by Adam Sandler, a bottom of the barrel rom-com or whatever new John Wick ripoff is on Netflix this week.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
If one of the people I worked with said they play SNES or something I would think they are a fucking loser and wouldn’t talk to them anymore.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
If one of the people I worked with said they play SNES or something I would think they are a fucking loser and wouldn’t talk to them anymore.
Would you do the same if they told you they posted on n-g.com?