Odin Sphere
Boltgun
TMNT Shredder's Revenge Anniversary Edition

Switch
Boltgun

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
It's all Tekken 8 for me right now - the game is absolutely brilliant. Best time I've had with a "modern" fighting game in years. Playing on PC.

Also, played through the new Prince of Persia recently. A bit long in the tooth, but overall an excellent Metroidvania with a well designed combat loop.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Tekken 8. Loving it so far. Lots of offline modes to mess around with, and surprisingly, I haven't been embarrassing myself online. Played a lot of SF6 last summer, and while I enjoyed all the offline stuff, I got wrecked against online players. So, something about Tekken suits me better. Probably because it's more old school timing based.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Tekken 8. Loving it so far. Lots of offline modes to mess around with, and surprisingly, I haven't been embarrassing myself online. Played a lot of SF6 last summer, and while I enjoyed all the offline stuff, I got wrecked against online players. So, something about Tekken suits me better. Probably because it's more old school timing based.
Legit want to give this a whirl despite never actually playing a Tekken game before.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I've played nearly every one over the years, Joe. So I'm probably not the best barometer for whether you'd like it or not. I can say that graphically, it looks great, with large, detailed character models and mostly impressive backgrounds. And that gameplay-wise, it is very responsive with smooth transitions through combinations. So if you're experienced in the timing-based moves and combos of the series in general, this will feel like a natural progression.

But if you've never played Tekken before, I'd recommend trying out last gen's Tekken 7 first to get a feel for it to see if it's for you. Tekken is kind of unique in its gameplay mechanics compared to most popular fighting series. And the new one is like 70 bucks right now if I recall, so I'd hate for you to drop the coin for it only to discover that you're not a fan.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I've played nearly every one over the years, Joe. So I'm probably not the best barometer for whether you'd like it or not. I can say that graphically, it looks great, with large, detailed character models and mostly impressive backgrounds. And that gameplay-wise, it is very responsive with smooth transitions through combinations. So if you're experienced in the timing-based moves and combos of the series in general, this will feel like a natural progression.

But if you've never played Tekken before, I'd recommend trying out last gen's Tekken 7 first to get a feel for it to see if it's for you. Tekken is kind of unique in its gameplay mechanics compared to most popular fighting series. And the new one is like 70 bucks right now if I recall, so I'd hate for you to drop the coin for it only to discover that you're not a fan.
Got the demo downloaded and have been having a go there.

Quite a hefty demo.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Got the demo downloaded and have been having a go there.

Quite a hefty demo.
I feel Tekken 8 is an easy win for newcomers to the series or genre.

The Arcade Quest mode is designed to teach you how to play Tekken, drip feeding you new mechanics and moves to try as you progress through arcades and AI battles. The tone of the story is to "just have fun" rather than just jumping online and seeking out a win.

Ghost Battles let you battle against the AI bots of real players, so you can test your match up data against real players without the stress of playing online if that's not your thing.

If you do play online, you can save a replay, jump into it, and the game coaches you on what you did wrong. You can then jump right back into the battle at any time and practice the new tech the game showed you. That's on top of an incredibly robust training mode - best I've ever used.

There's also a simplified control scheme that is allowed in ranked matches as well - you earn less experience when it's used, but it allows novices to jump in and get some competition under their belt.

I've been playing Tekken avidly for 30 years since the first game - King has always been my main - and I feel this is the best the game has ever been. The demo is great and all, but only really scratches the surface. This game is packed with content for any skill level. It's quite well done.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
2/4/24

Switch
Retro Bowl

Harpoon Shooter Noozomi- Reminds me of Keio Flying Squadron with the color palette of Marveland

Rush Rally Racing 3 - I’m still having fun with this I just finished the Australian Rally Series yesterday

Analogue Pocket
Tiny Toons NES

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
2/11/24

Switch
Retro Bowl
Rush Rally Racing 3

PS4
Klonoa the Door to Phantomile

Analogue Pocket
Coleco - Pepper 2

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
PS classic mini

Star Ocean the second story - One of my favorite rpgs on the Playstation. It has a few game crashing bugs but it's worth it, save often.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
DQXI- Slowly plugging away at this. I really appreciate the recap every time you return to the game, every jrpg should have this.
Still been playing that too.

The recap thing is such a great little touch.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
PS5

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (Yakuza 8):
I beat the first Shenmue and decided to go for the new Like a Dragon game. It is awesome.. kind of repetitive at times and the combat is ehhh it's ok, but damn it has funny and interesting writing. The only thing I'm hating is how long the cut scenes can be.. some of the cut scenes are insufferable. I really wish games would stop trying to be movies. Shenmue has much better feeling fast cut scenes that just tell the story.. Yakuza has damn whole scenes with pauses in dialog as people stare at each other - makes me crazy.

The real reason I bought the game was to play Virtua Fighter 3tb. The port is realllly nice. I went and got the Model 3 emulator running (Super Model) and it's great. VF3 is fun as hell - going to bring it to the monthly Seattle VF offline event and play some rounds.

Also playing these on my playstation- Tekken 8, Strive, and Virtua Fighter 5 US

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
From the first Tekken to Tekken Tag was when the series was really, really highly regarded. Tekken 3 would have been the first game reviewed by EGM to get perfect 10s if not for Sushi-X giving it 9.5. Then Tekken 4 came and for some years the series became a joke. It's nice to see things come full circle again with people praising Tekken 8.

Hell, I'd rather play any Tekken over any Street Fighter past III.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Started a new game of Phantasy Star for Master System. I re-bought my copy of Phantasy Star Collection Sega Ages, Vol 32, mainly because I missed all the quality-of-life improvements. The best being Very Easy mode, makes the game way less of a grind, enemies give more exp and Meseta. The port can also be played in English, same with the other 3 games.

Jon

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Started a new game of Phantasy Star for Master System. I re-bought my copy of Phantasy Star Collection Sega Ages, Vol 32, mainly because I missed all the quality-of-life improvements. The best being Very Easy mode, makes the game way less of a grind, enemies give more exp and Meseta. The port can also be played in English, same with the other 3 games.

Jon
What about the Switch Version, how does that differ Jonner?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
From the first Tekken to Tekken Tag was when the series was really, really highly regarded. Tekken 3 would have been the first game reviewed by EGM to get perfect 10s if not for Sushi-X giving it 9.5. Then Tekken 4 came and for some years the series became a joke. It's nice to see things come full circle again with people praising Tekken 8.

Hell, I'd rather play any Tekken over any Street Fighter past III.
Which version of Street Fighter III do you prefer?

Namco generally puts out a polished product. I will eventually get around to buying Tekken 8.

I took me a while, but I did come around to Street Fighter IV. I never got into V (I did buy this), and what I've played over a friend's house, I don't feel like I'm missing much with VI either (which I did not buy), shame really.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I finished Ghost of Tsushima on PS5. Gonna order Death Stranding to play next, but I'm enjoying post-game stuff at the moment.

It's also been a year since I finished FFII on GBA. I think I'm going to grab FFIII Pixel Replaster.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
What about the Switch Version, how does that differ Jonner?
Not as good. The Sega Ages one is done by M2 and they went all-out. The quality of life changes I mentioned, English/Japanese translations of all 4 games, artwork, text adventures from Game Gear (these are Japanese only).

If I had to pick a negative, Phantasy Star 1 can only be played in PSG sound, no FM, in English. That makes sense, though. The US ROM didn't have support for FM. The translation patches are for the Japanese game to be played in English, with FM, providing you have it enabled.

Jon

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Og Xbox

The Thing (just picked this up last few weeks ago. So far really liking it.)

Mercenaries 2 World in Flames

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
SNES Classic Mini

LttP - finished. It'd been so long since I played it the whole way through, I forgot stuff from the last bit of the game.
Super Metroid - also finished. Been enjoying this one so much, I've gone back in to finish up another save file I started who knows when.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Metal Slug X, Still trying to 1cc

wanted to play last blade but my multi cart is dead
wanted to play link to the past but my snes just died on me as well

shit week for gaming