Magic the Gathering MTG Library

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
i haven't bothered with it since urza's saga. whats expensive from that set? tolarian academy?
Hey Shroom, Tolarian would be a big hit at 70 bucks but Gaea’s Cradle would eclipse that at 700 dollars. Very nice set actually
EDIT: Yeah Tolarian would set you back $100, excuse me

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I never played any Magic back in the day, we all played Pokemon TCG then on to Yugioh once it got started. I never even knew anyone who played Magic. I few years ago I picked up a deck box full of around 1,000 cards from the late '90s- early '00s for around $40. I love the artwork so it was a good find. According to TCG player this is the best of the bunch:

I bought a few newer cards after but never played much. I did play arena a bit and that was but, I really wish a console or handheld tcg game existed, as I would really enjoy it.

Spoiler:

Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 4.54.59 PM.png

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
I never played any Magic back in the day, we all played Pokemon TCG then on to Yugioh once it got started. I never even knew anyone who played Magic. I few years ago I picked up a deck box full of around 1,000 cards from the late '90s- early '00s for around $40.
Hi! Nothing to write home about so to speak, but all mtg cards are Magic! I’m kind of jealous cuz I never did get to play paper Pokémon

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member

I’ve built Reserved List Duel Decks, next one should be coming along soon

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I played Magic off and on since Jr. High school. I played from Revised till Homelands. Homelands made me quit. Picked it back up when MTGO came out and played off and on.

I still like Magic, but I wish something else would take over as the best CCG. Flesh and Blood came out a few years ago and it's such a better game. Even Legends of Runeterra and Legend of the Five Rings is better than MtG, but never take off cause MtG has such and anchor in the scene.

I tend to play solo LCGs more these days, such as LOTR and Arkham Horror. I'm just tapped out on MtG. It's a great game and all, but Mana Screw seems like such an ancient and outdated mechanic. It's hard to go back to MtG when there are games that play more fluid.

Reactions: wyo

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
It's hard to go back to MtG when there are games that play more fluid.
I totally disagree and agree at the same time, I think that the reserved list locks the game, as it’s something that can not be fixed, at the same time having valuable cards keeps the market very busy, but I really like the mechanics. You really played during a nice timeline

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have FaB as well, but I am not sure it's a better game. It's much more mid-range, which can make it more interesting, but I've played a lot of matches that feel very similar. It also requires best of 3 with a sideboard, because some matchups are utterly unwinnable. I'm glad it's around, but I dont see the player base growing past its current state. Now, I am very much anticipating release of their cooperative mode. This could be pretty epic if they put real effort into it.

I think some of the complaints with competitive magic is why Commander has taken off. Casual decks (mostly). You get to use more cards, and every game plays out very differently because you only see a small part of your deck. I don't play competitive magic in person, just on Arena.

Last edited:

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
I have FaB as well, but I am not sure it's a better game.
I think the player base is very important when it comes to a CCG.
One of my sealed events has just been sponsored, we got 8 packs and 4 pins to give away plus one playmat for me to keep. I think organizing an event is great, guess it makes sense I’m working with real estate with this mindset. I hope the event will be stellar

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I played Magic off and on since Jr. High school. I played from Revised till Homelands. Homelands made me quit. Picked it back up when MTGO came out and played off and on.

I still like Magic, but I wish something else would take over as the best CCG. Flesh and Blood came out a few years ago and it's such a better game. Even Legends of Runeterra and Legend of the Five Rings is better than MtG, but never take off cause MtG has such and anchor in the scene.

I tend to play solo LCGs more these days, such as LOTR and Arkham Horror. I'm just tapped out on MtG. It's a great game and all, but Mana Screw seems like such an ancient and outdated mechanic. It's hard to go back to MtG when there are games that play more fluid.

Magic is much like Dungeons and Dragons. There are dozens of other RPGs, and even some that arguably do what DnD does better than DnD but well DnD reigns as king as essentially synonymous with the hobby itself.

Anyway the ICE Middle Earth CCG is the best card game ever :emb:

Last time I was really in to Magic was somewhat before and after the time of Innastrad (2011ish?).

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I played magic quite a bit (but very casually) from mirage through planeshift or thereabouts. I got back into it for a while from midnight hunt to dominaria remastered. It took a bit get my bearings because I’d never heard of EDH or cubes or all the other formats and of course the new card abilities and planeswalkers.

The new product releases are just too fast and furious for me though, the prices are crazy for new product, and the card quality is worse. Probably just nostalgia but I feel like the art and flavor text and overall story just isn’t as good as it used to be. There are too many foils and variants (which all usually have some curl, in general the print on the cards is bad.

Now, if they do a 35th anniversary and make it just a full set reprint of alpha or some other classic set at reasonable prices, like the should have for 30th, I’d probably get back in for that.

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Those are all real problems @heihachi, and one fine day the reserved list will be over and years later we’ll be playing alpha drafts

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
The reserved list is a joke. Hasbro should just say 'fuck you' and start milking those cards

Make them very rare serialized inserts. 1/2500 or so.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
If they went back on the reserve list and started reprinting those cards the game would likely implode.

Personally I’m not wild about the newer sets so it wouldn’t effect me. I’d keep playing with my vintage cards just the same.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
reprinting the reserve list would cause all the collectors to lose their shit. I dont understand why anyone would want them reprinted. Most of them are unplayable anyways. They are just legacy collector cards.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
I don't think collectors would lose their shit, especially if the cards have a different back or set symbol. I doubt anyone buys high value reserve list cards to play with--they're purely collectors items at this point and for that reason the originals will always hold value unless people stop giving a shit about magic entirely. And more exposure to the old cards could even drive up demand from people who decide they like a card so much they want an original.

As for playability of the old sets, I don't think that would matter for most people who'd buy these. It's just about nostalgia for the old cards, art, flavor, and decks people used to play back in the day. I personally wouldn't care if they were banned from every official format. That said Wizards has made some dumb decisions about what's tournament legal (the unglued stickers for example) so I understand the concern.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I don't think collectors would lose their shit, especially if the cards have a different back or set symbol. I doubt anyone buys high value reserve list cards to play with--they're purely collectors items at this point and for that reason the originals will always hold value unless people stop giving a shit about magic entirely. And more exposure to the old cards could even drive up demand from people who decide they like a card so much they want an original.

As for playability of the old sets, I don't think that would matter for most people who'd buy these. It's just about nostalgia for the old cards, art, flavor, and decks people used to play back in the day. I personally wouldn't care if they were banned from every official format. That said Wizards has made some dumb decisions about what's tournament legal (the unglued stickers for example) so I understand the concern.

You must not have heard about Magic 30th set from this year. Collectors were threatening to sue WOTC because it contained reserve list cards with gold backs. So technically not play-legal, but an official magic reprint of black lotus.

They reprint old cards all the time. Old art, old border. Just not reserve list.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Threatening to sue for what?

They’d be laughed out of court.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Threatening to sue for what?

They’d be laughed out of court.

In all likelyhood, you are correct. But there are some massive whales in the MTG community that would make it hurt.
But it's not just words, it would absolutely happen and split the player base.
every few years it pops up. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/contract-from-below-promissory-estoppel-and-the-reserved-list

Magic 30th was clearly rejected by the community. I think the people that want reserve reprinted is a the minority.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
You must not have heard about Magic 30th set from this year. Collectors were threatening to sue WOTC because it contained reserve list cards with gold backs. So technically not play-legal, but an official magic reprint of black lotus.

They reprint old cards all the time. Old art, old border. Just not reserve list.
I hadn't heard about anyone actually suing WOTC just grumbling and speculation about how someone *could* try suing them. I also don't have any big ticket reserve cards so that colors my perspective, but it seems crazy to get bent out of shape over what amounts to a proxy albeit an "official" one. I mean, did original reserve card prices actually drop after 30th came out?

As for the reprints with classic art and border, yeah I know they do that. But to my knowledge that's just List cards and special variants in certain sets. What I would like is a non-tournament-legal reprint set that's all classics so I don't also end up paying for a bunch of new cards and transformers or doctor who shit I don't want. Even if they priced it the same as a new set, I would think about buying that whereas I'm not going to try to collect list cards or variants out of newer sets.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
As for the reprints with classic art and border, yeah I know they do that. But to my knowledge that's just List cards and special variants in certain sets. What I would like is a non-tournament-legal reprint set that's all classics so I don't also end up paying for a bunch of new cards and transformers or doctor who shit I don't want. Even if they priced it the same as a new set, I would think about buying that whereas I'm not going to try to collect list cards or variants out of newer sets.

We just had 2 sets were classic reprints in the last year. Sets. not List slots.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Hi! Nothing to write home about so to speak, but all mtg cards are Magic! I’m kind of jealous cuz I never did get to play paper Pokémon
Pokemon was pretty fun, I only ever played with friends and family so nothing serious. We were more focused to collecting the cards more than playing to be honest. Yugioh is the best card game I've played, I cam back to it and played actively online last year a ton but I got burned out due to: super long turns (sometimes 5 minutes a turn, OTKs, power creep, and the fact mostly everyone played the exact same couple decks. The game was honestly better when it wasn't so complex