Project Neon - possible neogeo shmup in the works

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I pre-ordered.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a CD version later on down the road. The problem with doing a CD version is it's going to be pirated immediately.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I pre-ordered.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a CD version later on down the road. The problem with doing a CD version is it's going to be pirated immediately.
Like someone won't at least attempt to dump this ROM the first chance they get.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Like someone won't at least attempt to dump this ROM the first chance they get.
Of course they can try, but with carts these days usually there's some copy protection. With a limited release the person with the know-how is less likely to be united with the cartridge. With a NGCD it's done the moment it ships.

NeoSeeD

n00b
I played the demo and
I pre-ordered.

I'm sure that is a legit concern, but modern platforms get dumped just as quickly. Especially the Switch. In my case, I'm happy to pay for a CD version of a good/great game. It's much harder to justify a $500 indie 16-bit game on a cart than it is a $35 - $50 CD. At least in my case, piracy isn't worth it at that price and with the ODE, loading times are minimal which makes the experience pretty good.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I played the demo and

I'm sure that is a legit concern, but modern platforms get dumped just as quickly. Especially the Switch. In my case, I'm happy to pay for a CD version of a good/great game. It's much harder to justify a $500 indie 16-bit game on a cart than it is a $35 - $50 CD. At least in my case, piracy isn't worth it at that price and with the ODE, loading times are minimal which makes the experience pretty good.
That's a modern release getting dumped though. Most don't have hacked consoles, and the modern version is a $10 game, vs $400 on the Neo Geo.

NeoSeeD

n00b
That's a modern release getting dumped though. Most don't have hacked consoles, and the modern version is a $10 game, vs $400 on the Neo Geo.
I'd argue that there are more hacked Switches than the entirety of the current Neo market that would actually purchase a cart or/and a CD. That's not even counting the PC market or other digital storefronts. Most would look at something like this and compare it to a $1 iOS/Android game. At the end of the day, it's going to get pirated regardless. Now that there is a flash cart on the Switch, things will probably get worse in that scene.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I wish we got more videos of this. To me the graphics seem very Amiga . Not that I mind that if gameplay is ok

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'd argue that there are more hacked Switches than the entirety of the current Neo market that would actually purchase a cart or/and a CD. That's not even counting the PC market or other digital storefronts. Most would look at something like this and compare it to a $1 iOS/Android game. At the end of the day, it's going to get pirated regardless. Now that there is a flash cart on the Switch, things will probably get worse in that scene.
It's going to get pirated, but the $400 version might not. That's key. Neo Geo homebrew sales have nothing to do with practicality.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I pre-ordered.

Also with other homebrew releases/reprints history seems to show that they sell extremely slow right up until they're no longer available and they spike in price, not helping the developer much. Too bad, I'd buy a CD in a second.

NeoSeeD

n00b
It's going to get pirated, but the $400 version might not. That's key. Neo Geo homebrew sales have nothing to do with practicality.
If they are all technically the same, it doesn't matter if the $400 version gets pirated. Quite often, the digital versions aren't native ports and ROMS get extracted from them anyway. Piracy debate aside, in the case of NGCD users, they simply can't give the dev money at all if they won't produce a version for them out of fear of the inevitable on all platforms.

NeoSeeD

n00b
Also with other homebrew releases/reprints history seems to show that they sell extremely slow right up until they're no longer available and they spike in price, not helping the developer much. Too bad, I'd buy a CD in a second.
Definitely. I've seen homebrew/indie stuff for other platforms (Super Russian Roulette/Paprium/FX Unit Yuki MD/etc.) go way past the OG asking price once it's out of print. On the other hand, Bitmap Bureau sells Xeno Crisis physical and roms/isos for the Neo CD and other platforms and I've picked it up simply because the dev provided the option and it's a polished game. I'd pick up Battle Axe & Final Vendetta on CD if the option were there as well.

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Definitely. I've seen homebrew/indie stuff for other platforms (Super Russian Roulette/Paprium/FX Unit Yuki MD/etc.) go way past the OG asking price once it's out of print. On the other hand, Bitmap Bureau sells Xeno Crisis physical and roms/isos for just the CD and other platforms and I've picked it up simply because the dev provided the option and it's a polished game. I'd pick up Battle Axe & Final Vendetta on CD if the option were there as well.
I think Final Vendetta is waayyyyy beyond the capabilities of the Neo CD due to its MEG count. I think the CD-Rom would have a spasm trying to deal with it... it barely does KoF '99 at six-hundred-and-whatever-megs it is.

NeoSeeD

n00b
I think Final Vendetta is waayyyyy beyond the capabilities of the Neo CD due to its MEG count. I think the CD-Rom would have a spasm trying to deal with it... it barely does KoF '99 at six-hundred-and-whatever-megs it is.
I'd be genuinely curious as to how Final Vendetta would work. If it needed mid-stage loading, personally, I'd be fine with it, especially with the SD card loader installed. If it's something like an enemy or two would nearly fill up the ram, then yeah, I totally agree that it wouldn't be worth it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The meg count is nothing to necessarily go by since most of these homebrew releases have their meg counts inflated with fully-recorded music. But yeah, I agree Final Vendetta's graphics are probably more than what the NGCD can load into memory.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I ordered the MVS cart in 2020. It will be nice to eventually receive it...
This is neo-geo homebrew we're talking about here... you'll be lucky if you receive it during this lifetime.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
This looks pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing some reviews once it's released.

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
This might be a daft question, but does anyone remember seeing a mention of whether the snap box insert is going to be in the English or the Japanese style (or better yet, reversible), or in just the one or the other? My OCD/the Feng Shui of my shelf demands a Japanese cover!

The pre-order page just says it's going to be in full colour (what is this, the 1950s?), and contacting the developer seems to be impossible if you're not on any of the socials. (They should naturally be in this thread at our beck and call to answer any and all asinine questions we might have.)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Feng shui goes right out the window as soon as you start adding aftermarket releases to a collection. You get what you get, and the logos and packaging are usually different. That's why I leep them all separate off to the side.

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
Feng shui goes right out the window as soon as you start adding aftermarket releases to a collection. You get what you get, and the logos and packaging are usually different.
Well, I caved in and took a punt on it. We'll see how it goes come springtime, or whenever the game is finally going to ship.

It's not that I mind the differing logos or art styles, it's just that all the other noteworthy homebrew developers (NGDT, Bitmap Bureau, Neobitz etc.) have managed to come up with Japanese-language inserts, so you could say that somewhat colours my expectations for aftermarket releases. Even the Daemon Claw folks, who've never released anything on the Neo Geo before, are doing one.

pva

Overtop Pathfinder
Even the Daemon Claw folks, who've never released anything on the Neo Geo before, are doing one.
Oh, and you can add everyone's favourite Andorran fartmuppets to the list, too.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I'll just wait until it really releases and then think about getting it or not. Seems there will be no problem with availability on this one.