Steam Deck Portable PC Games Hardware

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The $399 model is now 256gb instead of the embarrassing 64gb. Just and LCD tho. Seems like a good deal esp for a kid.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
The $399 model is now 256gb instead of the embarrassing 64gb. Just and LCD tho. Seems like a good deal esp for a kid.
They had/have refurbished units starting at $279. I believe the 512gb refurbished is $359.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People crying about no trade-in program.... Bitch, this aint a mobile phone. There's no monthly contract to claw back the cost of the device....

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I can understand if you bought in the last 2 weeks or so but yeah.

Why would there even be a trade in? It’s called sell it and buy the new one lol.

Looks like a bunch of media has had their hands on the OLED Deck. I guess Valve has been making subtle changes to the hardware since launch.

The OLED deck really looks like a great product.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Almost bought a refurbished one lately. I'm tempted but I don't think it will get much playtime after the first weeks. Pretty interesting for all those indie games I never played.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Selfishly, I wish they would have prioritized an Index update over a Steam Deck one. I use my Deck nearly exclusively for compilations of old games, and I really don't care if I play them on LCD or OLED. Anything where that would matter to me I play on my big boy PC and AW3423DW.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Anyone played the FFVII Remake on their Steam Deck?

Yeah I have. It works pretty well, with a couple caveats. First of all, unless they've patched it since I played earlier in the year, it defaults to Direct X 12 and has framerate issues regardless of PC power. You can add a command line parameter to force it into DX11 mode for better performance. I did that both on the Deck and the big boy PC.

FF7R doesn't have a lot of graphic options to play with, but if you max it out it will chug a little. I don't remember exactly what settings I used, but I think I had most stuff set to low, I might have had textures a bit higher so it would look nice, and I set the Steam Deck to 40 FPS as I do with most CPU intensive titles. With all that tweaking it runs great. It also supports cloud saving if you want to move between PC and Deck. On my PC it was like playing the PS5 version, on the Deck it was like playing the PS4 version.

Also, Crisis Core is amazing on the Deck, it was pretty much my killer app when I first got it. It's optimized quite a bit better for PC than FF7R was. I even beat that cunt Minerva using the Deck as a handheld.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Yeah I have. It works pretty well, with a couple caveats. First of all, unless they've patched it since I played earlier in the year, it defaults to Direct X 12 and has framerate issues regardless of PC power. You can add a command line parameter to force it into DX11 mode for better performance. I did that both on the Deck and the big boy PC.
Not Vulkan?

Edit: I'm probably misunderstanding, since I think SteamOS ultimately uses Vulkan through a wrapper regardless.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The game doesn't support Vulkan natively. I've heard of people forcing DX11 mode then using a Vulkan wrapper.

Reactions: SML

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Free stuff:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Nice.

What have you guys been playing in the deck? I have about 30 hours in enshrouded.

I want to get Helldivers 2 but maybe I should just get a PS5 lol.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
More freebies:

Space Crew: Legendary Edition

Nomads of Driftland: The Forgotten Passage

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I dropped by Steamdeck (because I am an idiot) and now the right bumper doesn’t firmly press down.

If I have to open the deck to fix it I’ll probably just go ahead and get a larger ssd too.

Anyone swapped out their drive?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Seems I actually broke both bumpers. I’m assuming the bumpers are just pushed down in the shell and not making contact with/slipped past the actual switch.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dropped by Steamdeck (because I am an idiot) and now the right bumper doesn’t firmly press down.

If I have to open the deck to fix it I’ll probably just go ahead and get a larger ssd too.

Anyone swapped out their drive?
I've swapped the drive, it's pretty easy. Make sure you are using a quality screwdriver though, those are some tiny ass screws I wouldn't want to strip.

Reinstalling SteamOS was a little tricky for me. It kept getting stuck like it was taking forever to load but never freezing or giving errors. The issue ended up being that you need to use a very fast USB drive or SD card for it to work. I put the image on a fast SD card and it worked like a charm and loaded in just a few minutes.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've swapped the drive, it's pretty easy. Make sure you are using a quality screwdriver though, those are some tiny ass screws I wouldn't want to strip.

Reinstalling SteamOS was a little tricky for me. It kept getting stuck like it was taking forever to load but never freezing or giving errors. The issue ended up being that you need to use a very fast USB drive or SD card for it to work. I put the image on a fast SD card and it worked like a charm and loaded in just a few minutes.
Any recommendation on a fast SD card?