Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Wings of Desire- A gliding dreamlike meditation on what it is to be human. A masterpiece. I won't go into it too much because it's a movie best seen with little knowledge beforehand, but if you've seen it and like it you know how special it is. I want to give special mention to the cinematography and it's use of Berlin. Not only is it a beautifully shot movie but it uses the city in a way that few other movies do with their settings. I'd seen parts of it and read about it over the years but I had put off watching it for so long because I was afraid it would be too ponderous. Yes it's a little heavy on philosophy and the existentialism of being but it never drags the movie down or comes off as pretentious. It's a movie well deserving of it's praise.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Wings of Desire- A gliding dreamlike meditation on what it is to be human. A masterpiece. I won't go into it too much because it's a movie best seen with little knowledge beforehand, but if you've seen it and like it you know how special it is. I want to give special mention to the cinematography and it's use of Berlin. Not only is it a beautifully shot movie but it uses the city in a way that few other movies do with their settings. I'd seen parts of it and read about it over the years but I had put off watching it for years because I was afraid it would be too ponderous. Yes it's a little heavy on philosophy and the existentialism of being but it never drags the movie down or comes off as pretentious. It's a movie well deserving of it's praise.
The director Wim Wenders has a new movie coming out set in Japan

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Paris, Texas - I waited all these years to see "Kurt Cobain's favorite movie" and I'm a bit underwhelmed. On one hand, I found the cinematography to be beautiful. Desert landscape, sunsets, etc. all look beautiful. Even the actors themselves have a look about them that stands out. Maybe it's the lighting, maybe it's the wardrobes, they look cool. The movie has some Western vibes to it, but is probably more along the path of a road trip genre. Either way, I didn't need nearly 3 hours to reach the conclusion of the movie. So much wasted screen time for nothing. I think they were too busy trying to make the film look pretty and forgot they actually had to tell a story. Pass unless you want something pretty to look at while you browse reddit on your phone late at night. No amount of edibles could save this film from boring me to death.

Edit: Fuck me. I just so happen to see this movie when you guys were talking about Wim Wenders. Paris, Texas is directed by him.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Warriors- The original version, not the shitty "updated" version from the 00's. Awesome movie, never gets old. I love the heightened reality of it's world. I got the new Arrow Video boxset and it's fucking awesome, well worth picking up. I checked out some of the special features and apparently the costume designer is the same lady that worked on Xanadu. That makes so much sense.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Godzilla: Final Wars- What happens when you let the guy behind Versus make a Godzilla movie? This and it's nuts. @Average Joe mentioned this on the previous page and while I'm not as big a G fan as him I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Woman in Black- A proper old school British ghost story. I didn't realize it was an actual Hammer movie, just thought it was in that style. That makes the movie but also hurts it a bit as it seems almost outdated and quaint. It's not very original, it's slow and it's predictable, I don't really have a problem with any of that since it's so meticulously made. It's incredibly well shot, the sets and location are fantastic and the performances are all solid.

Unfortunately someone felt the need to try and modernize it a bit with incredibly out of place sound effects to force jump scares. Most of those scenes would have been perfectly fine and far more effective if they had just left them alone. It feels like a studio mandate. It's a PG-13 film starring Daniel Radcliffe and I bet they thought a large portion of the audience was going to be on the younger side so they need to have some "modern" scares otherwise people would think it's too boring. I'd love to see a version of it without the awful sound effects, it's really close to being great.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Strawberry Mansion - Want to watch something out there? Something similar to Eternal Sunshine? Well here you go.
A Sci Fi Film where in the future our dreams are taxed. A tax man goes to the house of an old woman to audit her dreams as she's been recording her dreams through VHS tapes instead of a usb drive. He begins to look into her dreams when she is younger and starts to have feelings towards the younger version of her. Meanwhile her son visits who has connections to the dream advertisement agencies.

This had some interesting "stop motion" animation. I liked the one in the preview here with the man and younger version of the woman as comes burning up into the atmosphere.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
My kids (4, 8 and 12)

Any Feb. 29th birthdays?

Quite a feat, having 3 leap year kids.

Back on topic, re: movies-

The Boy and the Heron is on drugs.

By the time I could get to the theatre over Winter break, the only version showing was the dub.

I’ll rewatch it subbed at some point, because it is beautiful to look at…but I hope there is additional footage or different editing, because what I saw at the movies was a disjointed mess with more plot holes than De La Soul’s lawn.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Any Feb. 29th birthdays?

Quite a feat, having 3 leap year kids.

Back on topic, re: movies-

The Boy and the Heron is on drugs.

By the time I could get to the theatre over Winter break, the only version showing was the dub.

I’ll rewatch it subbed at some point, because it is beautiful to look at…but I hope there is additional footage or different editing, because what I saw at the movies was a disjointed mess with more plot holes than De La Soul’s lawn.
I saw it subbed and it’s still a disjointed mess, shame. Been meaning to watch Porco Rosso to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
30 Days of Night- Vampires in Alaska where it's dark for an entire month, not a bad premise. While the movie isn't what it could be it's not terrible. The biggest problem with it is the passage of time feels nonexistent. It just skips huge chunks and it completely kills any sense of desperation. Also the vampires plan isn't all that well thought out. They kill damn near everyone in the first couple days and are pretty wasteful. I know they were trying to make them seem more animalistic but it comes off a little ridiculous. Lots of gore though.

Bonus points for Ben Foster appearing in another small role where he absolutely nails it, dude is super underrated.

Also this made me wonder what ever happened to Josh Hartnett. He was killing it there for awhile and taking some pretty interesting roles. O, Lucky Number Slevin, Black Hawk Down, Sin City, Penny Dreadful etc. then he just seemed to kind of disappear. Looks like he actually turned down playing Batman in the Nolan series as that's who Nolan initially wanted, damn. Guess he's still working but keeping it low key.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I heard that turning down the Batman role got him blacklisted essentially.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
@terry.330 Review request for Better Watch Out (2016), thanks

Also please don't read a synopsis or whatever, just go in blind and tell me what you think, cheers

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I heard that turning down the Batman role got him blacklisted essentially.
More likely it was his "performance" in Black Dhalia that got him blacklisted. Which was a year after Batman Begins anyway.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
@terry.330 Review request for Better Watch Out (2016), thanks

Also please don't read a synopsis or whatever, just go in blind and tell me what you think, cheers

I liked the lead kid in that one.

Takes a good actor to make you feel that level of hatred towards a character.