January SOTM - Cozy up with Varth - Operation Thunderstorm

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
It's January, the holidays are over, the relatives are all gone, which is a relief, time to set in which to me are dark, cold days of winter (we're supposed to get snow here on the East Coast this weekend). If you're stuck in a cold godforsaken land like the Philadelphia Burbs like me, what a better way to spend your inside time than with a hot beverage, blanket, your arcade stick, and Varth - Operation Thunderstorm- the January SOTM. This is a vertical shooter released by Capcom in 1992. It has some similarities to the 19xx series particularly 1941 Counter Attack. It is emulated on a variety of consoles - PS2, Xbox, PSP (good luck playing it on that), PS4 and Switch and XBOX whatever and Steam through Capcom Arcade Stadium. You can play it on your Analogue Pocket as well unless you're still trying convince yourself that you don't need reading glasses like me. Last I looked it was $1.99 or less on Capcom Arcade Stadium, so there is no excuse not to pick this one up and support Capcom and whatever Street Fighter 6 Chung Li DLC costumes they are releasing these days instead of innovative games like this.

1704344116544.png
1704344136456.png

Approximately 30 levels so this should keep all of you goobs busy. The levels go fast and many do not have a boss at the end. Game should be able to be completed in an hour to hour and a half. There are hidden Capcom themed power ups littered about, and you can waggle your joystick (which if you're on this forum you definitely have experience waggling your stick) to rebuild your bombs stock, not unlike increasing your drift stock in Ridge Racer.

Here is the story from Wikipedia (since we all know we play shooters for the story) kinda what AI will do to us sooner than later, some real Terminatorish stuff:

Varth follows the story of a disaster that befalls a human colony on a planet of the same name. The entire colony is run by a 7th generation supercomputer which controls the operations of all machinery on the planet. Unfortunately for the residents of Varth, Delta-7 has been possessed by the entity "DUO" (Dimension Unbody Offender), thought of as an evil spirit but actually a temporal-spatial consciousness which spontaneously arose within the supercomputer. DUO has come to the conclusion that human existence is inimical to the planet, and has therefore turned the planet's defenses against its own populace. Eighty percent of the planet is laid waste by the event, and this is only the beginning of DUO's cleansing scheme. The colonists' reliance on the supercomputer has caused them to lose the ability to take care of themselves, and thus have no means of fighting back. The only hope for the colony lies in the pilots of two planes equipped with 4th generation computers which DUO cannot control—they are controlled not by machinery, but by humans.

From my understanding past level 10 the US and Japanese versions are different. We can do separate leaderboards if necessary. Capcom Arcade Stadium allows you to play the Japanese or USA rom version of the game.

Here is a Varth review recently posted in chat.

If any of you experts have anything to add please do, I love shooters but am definitely a novice.

Please post a pic of your score, what level, and which region.

I will update the leaderboards accordingly, good luck to all, Happy JanuaryShooteroftheMonthing!!!

1704345545490.png

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Love how you kicked this off @Ralfakick, so awesome.

That said, I’m gonna fuckin’ destroy all your buttholes this month.

View attachment 70850
Hey we invented Rocky. Creed 1 and 2s arena scenes were filmed within walking distance from where I live (Mare of Eastown too). The robot used in Rocky 4 was from Pulsations nightclub that used to be in my area that my friend DJ’d at (also mentioned on The Goldbergs)

I know where I live the Cowboys suck (seriously listened to my Dad rant about the Detroit game all weekend), jawn is used if you can’t come up with the proper word, Wawa is good eatin, and above all else a man can beat his beff and go on to become a champion. So everyone get your sleds out, chop some wood, and beat the challenge put down by Ivan Drago here!

IMG_9076.gif

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
1704515745186.png

January SOTM Leaderboards Updated January 31st 18:23 EST
NameScoreStageSystemRegion
1​
Ajax1,967,50013MisterWorld
2​
Prof821,383,6008SwitchWorld
3​
NeoDogg1,115,5008SwitchWorld?
4​
Douglass928,5007SwitchWorld
5​
Sirlynxalot553,0005MameWorld
6​
MJMJR25523,1004SwitchJapan
7​
The Chief451,0004MameWorld
8​
Ralfakick431,0004Analogue PocketWorld
9​
Daskrabs412,4004MisterWorld
10​
BerryTogart345,2004Xbox OneWorld
11​
Johnny16Bit326,8003FightcadeWorld
12​
Shimoebi*297,3004PowkiddyWorld
13​
Ggallegos1285,7003PS4World
14​
Wataru330111,0002SwitchWorld

* Actual Score 10,000,297,300 with Powkiddy Bonus

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Played a couple creds. Man this game gets outta hand quickly. It's nice that it shows you your rank though. I got a Ryu on the first boss, which was cool.

Ajax - 581,300 - Stage 5 - Steam - US

IMG_1241.jpeg

Last edited:

Ajax

15 Year Member
Man, this game is a tough one to crack. I have a secret score in pocket, but your b holes fuzzy pods might be safe this month. I might still change my avatar to Ivan Drago though.

Last edited:

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Man, this game is a tough one to crack. I have a secret score in pocket, but your b holes fuzzy pods might be safe this month. I might still change my avatar to Ivan Drago though.

Nah, I've got a feeling it will look something like this by month's end...
maxresdefault-2656297931.jpg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It's January, the holidays are over, the relatives are all gone, which is a relief, time to set in which to me are dark, cold days of winter (we're supposed to get snow here on the East Coast this weekend). If you're stuck in a cold godforsaken land like the Philadelphia Burbs like me, what a better way to spend your inside time than with a hot beverage, blanket, your arcade stick, and Varth - Operation Thunderstorm- the January SOTM. This is a vertical shooter released by Capcom in 1992. It has some similarities to the 19xx series particularly 1941 Counter Attack. It is emulated on a variety of consoles - PS2, Xbox, PSP (good luck playing it on that), PS4 and Switch and XBOX whatever and Steam through Capcom Arcade Stadium. You can play it on your Analogue Pocket as well unless you're still trying convince yourself that you don't need reading glasses like me. Last I looked it was $1.99 or less on Capcom Arcade Stadium, so there is no excuse not to pick this one up and support Capcom and whatever Street Fighter 6 Chung Li DLC costumes they are releasing these days instead of innovative games like this.

View attachment 70836
View attachment 70837

Approximately 30 levels so this should keep all of you goobs busy. The levels go fast and many do not have a boss at the end. Game should be able to be completed in an hour to hour and a half. There are hidden Capcom themed power ups littered about, and you can waggle your joystick (which if you're on this forum you definitely have experience waggling your stick) to rebuild your bombs stock, not unlike increasing your drift stock in Ridge Racer.

Here is the story from Wikipedia (since we all know we play shooters for the story) kinda what AI will do to us sooner than later, some real Terminatorish stuff:

Varth follows the story of a disaster that befalls a human colony on a planet of the same name. The entire colony is run by a 7th generation supercomputer which controls the operations of all machinery on the planet. Unfortunately for the residents of Varth, Delta-7 has been possessed by the entity "DUO" (Dimension Unbody Offender), thought of as an evil spirit but actually a temporal-spatial consciousness which spontaneously arose within the supercomputer. DUO has come to the conclusion that human existence is inimical to the planet, and has therefore turned the planet's defenses against its own populace. Eighty percent of the planet is laid waste by the event, and this is only the beginning of DUO's cleansing scheme. The colonists' reliance on the supercomputer has caused them to lose the ability to take care of themselves, and thus have no means of fighting back. The only hope for the colony lies in the pilots of two planes equipped with 4th generation computers which DUO cannot control—they are controlled not by machinery, but by humans.

From my understanding past level 10 the US and Japanese versions are different. We can do separate leaderboards if necessary. Capcom Arcade Stadium allows you to play the Japanese or USA rom version of the game.

Here is a Varth review recently posted in chat.

If any of you experts have anything to add please do, I love shooters but am definitely a novice.

Please post a pic of your score, what level, and which region.

I will update the leaderboards accordingly, good luck to all, Happy JanuaryShooteroftheMonthing!!!

View attachment 70839
This is a great post

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
[SNIP]Pulsations Night Club[/SNIP]

@Ralfakick you know the show Bar Rescue? The host used to own Pulsations.

1) why couldn’t he rescue his own shit?
2) the robot is currently for sale on FB marketplace
3) be attitude for gains

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
[SNIP]Pulsations Night Club[/SNIP]

@Ralfakick you know the show Bar Rescue? The host used to own Pulsations.

1) why couldn’t he rescue his own shit?
2) the robot is currently for sale on FB marketplace
3) be attitude for gains
How much is the robot lol?
I saw this today Kahunaville had a great arcade for one.

@wataru330 I remember it when it was the Longhorn Ranch before it was Pulsations.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
This is a great post
Thank you, appreciate it! This is what I get out of me when I sit at my desk typing instead of mistyping on my phone which I usually do here.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Where are all the fuckin’ scores? I didn’t even vote for this, but I’ve been playing it all day. I’m so mad right now.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Where are all the fuckin’ scores? I didn’t even vote for this, but I’ve been playing it all day. I’m so mad right now.
I’ve been playing and will update the SB tomorrow I figure hopefully by the weekend we’ll get some more in @gusmoney said he’s been playing too.

Ajax

15 Year Member
It’s been fun playing so far. This is a totally different kind of game than I’m used to, especially coming off of playing so much Gun Frontier. Got the first extend a handful of times yesterday, but it isn't clicking for me every time yet, by any means.

Also, there's a bug on the 4th level boss which appears to be associated with a timer which is not visible to the player. Essentially, you get a bonus which equals the number of seconds left on the timer x 1,000. However, if you defeat the boss with 27 or 29 seconds, instead of 27.000 or 29,000 points, you get 270,000 or 290,000 points, respectively. I did it once and got the 270,000 bonus, which also got me the first extend quite a bit faster than normal. It felt cool, but I have no idea how to replicate it. The basic strategy seems to be focus everything on one of the rotating turret arrays and destroy it asap, then do the same to the other. If the fan in the center begins charging its attack, bomb to clear the charge. As i understand it, if the fan gets its attack off, you can't exploit the bug.

Also, if you happen to be playing on Mister, 32ms autofire makes laser really formidable, actually. Laser is fuckin' laughable otherwise.

Lastly, the JP version of the game uses checkpoints instead of respawning in place. I also hear that the game is different past stage 10, but I have yet to reach it, so who the hell knows on that point?

Anyway, this was my best score from yesterday. I don't know how much more I'll play today, but we'll see how it goes.

Ajax - 1,183,600 - Stage 8 - CPS1 Mister Core Correction, PS4 - US

IMG_1243.jpeg

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
It’s been fun playing so far. This is a totally different kind of game than I’m used to, especially coming off of playing so much Gun Frontier. Got the first extend a handful of times yesterda, but it isn't clicking for me every time yet, by any means.

Also, there's a bug on the 4th level boss which appears to be associated with a timer which is not visible to the player. Essentially, you get a bonus which equals the number of seconds left on the timer x 1,000. However, if you defeat the boss with 27 or 29 seconds, instead of 27.000 or 29,000 points, you get 270,000 or 290,000 points, respectively. I did it once and got the 270,000 bonus, which also got me the first extend quite a bit faster than normal. It felt cool, but I have no idea how to replicate it. The basic strategy seems to be focus everything on one of the rotating turret arrays and destroy it asap, then do the same to the other. If the fan in the center begins charging its attack, bomb to clear the charge. As i understand it, if the fan gets its attack off, you can't exploit the bug.

Also, if you happen to be playing on Mister, 32ms autofire makes laser really formidable, actually. Laser is fuckin' laughable otherwise.

Lastly, the JP version of the game uses checkpoints instead of respawning in place. I also hear that the game is different past stage 10, but I have yet to reach it, so who the hell knows on that point?

Anyway, this was my best score from yesterday. I don't know how much more I'll play today, but we'll see how it goes.

Ajax - 1,183,600 - Stage 8 - CPS1 Mister Core Correction, PS4 - US

View attachment 70868
Yeah I try to avoid the laser when I see it so far even though it tries to give it to me.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
prof82 - 522800 - Level 4 - Switch - US?
20240105-122751.jpg

Messed around with it a little bit this morning. Cool game. I have a lot to learn and experiment with yet, but I wanted to check it out and get a score up. I was stuffed by the Level 4 boss in back to back games. Ha! So I posted the slightly higher score. I like all the little bonus secrets and things that pop up here and there. That's a neat little touch.

I played the capcom arcade thing on the switch, but I have it on a PS2 compilation disc as well. So I'll probably check that one out soon to see if it plays any differently.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
BerryTogart- 345,200 - Level 4 - XBox One - US

Bought the game today and gave it a first shot to get on the board. Happy for input on the following:

Wiggle to replenish bombs: I consider the "wiggle to replenish bombs" system an interesting approach, I'm not a big fan of it, currently playing with a controller.

Shields: Though the game tells me the "automatic" mode is better for beginners as it will "deflect the bullets automatically" it seems to me there's no point in picking this up, as the shield seems to respond slow - Is there any reason to pick the automatic mode?

Racing flags: What are they? Sometimes there are racing flags scattered on the screen which seem to grant points when picking them up? Are those for any special bonus system or just for points?

Super power up: I seem to have picked up a special "ninja star on a red circle" power up icon that gave me max power for my current weapon. Do they spawn at random? At specific locations?

Attachments

• signal-2024-01-05-211358_002.jpeg
    signal-2024-01-05-211358_002.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 1

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Leaderboards up! I will be posting my score by tomorrow, please keep 'em coming!

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Ralfakick 370,900 Stage 4 USA PS4

My best run not on here I F’d up and put two credits in thinking I could just not continue and it made me continue and gave me the dreaded 01

Also I love the last display shader setting G I think? it’s like burned out arcade monitor.
IMG_9079.jpeg

Last edited:

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Gave it a run tonight, very enjoyable shooter. That stage 4 boss is a real pisser.

The Chief - 451,100 - Stage 4 - US - MAME

Attachments

• 1B8A1988-1E21-4AE2-8AF5-9CB2662E3162.jpeg
    1B8A1988-1E21-4AE2-8AF5-9CB2662E3162.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Scoreboard updated! Let's get some new players in as well!