Question for Everdrive owners

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Just curious if you own an Everdrive and the following situation has happened to you.

I myself have a Game Boy and Famicom everdrive. I have a decent collection of Game Boy and NES games...220 GB and 150 NES. The thing that I immediately noticed after getting mine is that I'm rarely getting the real copies out to play anymore. It's way more convenient to just pop the ED in, load a game, and play it instead.

So, basically wondering if a similar thing has happened with people here. Have you gone the extra mile and just got rid of everything? Not planning on going that far. I just wonder if my games are going to become decorations rather than things I play every day.

Jon

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Ive sincerely contemplated doing so, and having the ED has made keeping games I like but never ever play not worth it. I have condensed my collection significantly due to the ED, but also use it to try rare and valuable games I can't afford (little Samson, earthbound, etc)

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Just curious if you own an Everdrive and the following situation has happened to you.

I myself have a Game Boy and Famicom everdrive. I have a decent collection of Game Boy and NES games...220 GB and 150 NES. The thing that I immediately noticed after getting mine is that I'm rarely getting the real copies out to play anymore. It's way more convenient to just pop the ED in, load a game, and play it instead.

So, basically wondering if a similar thing has happened with people here. Have you gone the extra mile and just got rid of everything? Not planning on going that far. I just wonder if my games are going to become decorations rather than things I play every day.

Jon

This is precisely what I planned on doing. It's cold, I know, but I just don't have the space any more for all my games and bits and pieces, and I'm worried about them getting damaged after keeping them in such good shape for so long.

The only thing that has put me off so far has been people crying about emulation not being the same as the original. Are you saying you're not feeling like that? To me if it looks the same and I'm able to use the original controllers then I think I'll be happy??

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
The thing is, while the ED's are fantastic devices there is what, one person that is churning these things out? What if the ED were to break, or to stop being made etc. I use mine as an accompaniment and a way (as mentioned above) to try out other region or rare games I'd never spend money for.
I'm not going to hedge everything against a singular device personally. Now, if I had gotten rid of most of my stuff, felt regret once my ED took a dump, I'd probably just emulate from there on out anyways with a HTPC.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Would be nice when they get the famicom expanded audio working correctly. As for the mega everdrive, im still on the fence about dumping any carts.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Dumped everything and bought flash carts. Fuck the clutter and the upkeep. When these die, Ill just go emulation from that point on.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I've thought about it as well...been doing my best to avoid it, but if push came to shove, and I needed the money? I'd probably sell the majority and only keep a few special games. I own many of the Everdrives but I still use my real games the majority of the time.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If there's ever a good MVS megadrive like device, chances are I'd drop 80% of collection without even thinking about it. I'd definitely hold onto a few games that were special to me, but the majority would just be taking up valuable space. Plus, the convenience of such a device is where it's at for me. Having used R4s/Acekards forever on the DS, and only buying games I really think were special and worth throwing coin, mostly just to support the dev teams and never even really to play or open... Eh... It's not even emulation. The carts are, for better or for worse, better tech than the originals that simply let you load many games on one card instead of just one. It's all just flash memory at the end of the day, anyway. Who cares.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I have the Mega Everdrive, the famicom N8 and the SD2SNES. I have not and am not planning to, sell any of my original carts because of the everdrives. I do not play any of my originals anymore (except for games that do not work on the everdrives, like Virtua Racing on the Genesis or Starfox on the SNES) but will keep them just for memories.

Regards.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I have a Mega Everdrive on the way (from broken's latest group buy, thanks Yodd! :D ), but I still plan on picking up a few more CIB games for my collection. Nothing expensive though. I'm talking like Outrun. Still don't have that one.

However, I now don't have to buy CIB copies of Castlevania Bloodlines, Shining Force II, and TMNT Hyperstone Heist. The prices on those games have gotten insane.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I have 5 EDs and rarely use the originals. I've sold off many of the ones worth something but there are games I'll be keeping.

More space and a few bucks in my pocket.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If I decide to let go of my collection it will be to go full blast pc emulators. So far I've encountered issues with all my flash carts except the Turbo Everdrive.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I didn't dump everything. What I did was get rid of the "borderline" games that I was only keeping around because I might want to play them at some point. Like I would go to a game store, see something that "looks neat", and buy it because I wanted to try it out. Now there is no need to do that, and all of those games are out of my house. However, if I play a game on my ED that I really like, then I will probably keep my eye out for a physical copy.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have everdrives for nearly every system now, and I've pretty much stopped buying cartridge games. I haven't purged yet, but I do intend to at some point and only keep those few titles that are the best of the best to me. I did that with Neo MVS carts once I got my hands on the multicarts and I'm super happy about it.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I've stopped picking up PCE Hucards and Genesis/Mega Drive games ever since I picked up Everdrives for both systems. I may pick up an SNES version of some sort, but I have all those games I want. If they made an affordable Neo home cart version, I'd love to pick one up.

I think the collection wave is starting to die down when it comes to 30+ year olds. Being able to play on the systems without cluttering up rooms or closets is definitely a selling point.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I recently bought 4 everdrives & i haven't been looking to buy anymore NES, SNES, or Gen games. As for selling, i dont think ill do that but i would probably consider trading them for other games i want that doesn't have everdrive haha.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I only have a turbo everdrive and I usually only use it on my express while using the hucards on the turbografx system and so forth on my pc engine duo. I like doing this incase I want to take my express on the go but I don't have to worry about taking a load of hucards with me, I take the ever drive and i'm set. I'm thinking of doing the same for my nomad, get a genesis everdrive and using it only on the nomad since im out and about a lot anyways.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I have an Everdrive for the PC Engine, because there's no way I'd be able to afford many of the games for that system at all. I have 6 or so complete games I enjoy, and the rest I just Everdrive. I'm not big on the hunt for rare stuff just cause it's rare anymore, and a lot of the PCE market is just that.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I am still on the fence when it comes to just selling the Snes games I have amased, due to nostalgia reasons.

I am also getting the megaeverdrive thanks to Brokens group buy, I think I will sell off most of my genesis games since I don't play that console as much as my SNES.

I agree with Gohan, the MVS multicart made having carts like SSVS pointless to me. I purged out a few MVS carts I ain't care that much about.

I guess it really comes down to nostalgic attachments to the carts. Or if you want amazing conversation pieces.

I hope they make an everdrive for Sega saturn.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
youd think because because of the convenience and popularity of the ever drives that the original games would go down in price a bit but too bad that aint the case. people will always want the original game

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
youd think because because of the convenience and popularity of the ever drives that the original games would go down in price a bit but too bad that aint the case. people will always want the original game

We have had the convenience of Roms and emulators for a long time and that never helped lower the price of these games.

I do believe the prices will go down, once all the 80s and 90s babies are done searching for their nostalgic games.

Then again this new trend of retro hipsters made old school games trendy so it might keep going higher.

I fucking hate hipsters, they ruin everything.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
I got Everdrives and have never been happier. I've been selling everything but my absolute favorites. The Everdrives have let me focus more on actually playing games rather than hunting and gathering. They are the best.