Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Crow- After watching Dark City I wanted to go back to this. There are a ton of similarities visually, some shots are basically duplicated with a bigger budget and better technology in DC. The movie itself is still pretty awesome, 90s as fuck. It's funny going back to it though and seeing that transition period from 80s goth and industrial to the more commercial stuff we would get in the late 90s. It's very much an MTV generation movie. Brandon Lee's performance is passable, he's trying but slips back into his natural clean cut nice guy self in some scenes. Michael Wincott steals the show though, he's just great as the bad guy. The whole supporting cast is solid actually and the soundtrack is fun but a little cringe. Overall the movie still holds up remarkably well all things considered.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The Crow is a fun little time capsule (post-Batman '89 gothic capeshit/MTV grunge-pop era) but it would've been a cinematic footnote had Brandon Lee not gotten Baldwin'd.

Hellraiser: Revelations

I know Doug Bradley is a Horror icon and hard to replicate, but this dude they replaced him with ain't it at all... I don't want my sadomasochistic hell demons having cherubic faces and no sense of dread to their line delivery. Either way, this movie is also (surprise) ass. I guess I might give it a tiny bit of credit by it having the closest in tone to the first few movies and not being a total slog since it's a brisk 70-something minutes, but it is still a cheaply-made and shittily-acted piece of Redbox fodder and not worth the time.

(What am I doing with my life?)

Revelations is definitely the worst of the bunch.... and that's saying something. They were going to have to replace Bradley eventually (the man is approaching 70 at this point). It's just a shame they decided to do it while they were still in micro-budget DTV territory and the poor guy who they replaced him with was completely ill-equipped to do so. The Hulu remake, for all of its flaws, at least understood that trying to replicate Doug Bradley was a fool's errand and went in a completely different direction.

Have fun finishing out the DTV trash era of Hellraiser. Judgment is also bad but it's at least interesting.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Crow is a fun little time capsule (post-Batman '89 gothic capeshit/MTV grunge-pop era) but it would've been a cinematic footnote had Brandon Lee not gotten Baldwin'd.
The other saddest thing about the Crow is that James O'Barr sold the rights to his character for heroin money. A pittance, compared to what those rights were already actually worth.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The other saddest thing about the Crow is that James O'Barr sold the rights to his character for heroin money. A pittance, compared to what those rights were already actually worth.
Especially because they proceeded to ruin the IP with trash sequels. That's like rubbing salt in the wound.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member

Revelations is definitely the worst of the bunch.... and that's saying something. They were going to have to replace Bradley eventually (the man is approaching 70 at this point). It's just a shame they decided to do it while they were still in micro-budget DTV territory and the poor guy who they replaced him with was completely ill-equipped to do so. The Hulu remake, for all of its flaws, at least understood that trying to replicate Doug Bradley was a fool's errand and went in a completely different direction.

Have fun finishing out the DTV trash era of Hellraiser. Judgment is also bad but it's at least interesting.
I got about 15 minutes into Judgement when I realized I had had enough of shitty Hellraiser sequels for a few days and ended up cleansing my brain with:

Ed Wood

I realized a few years ago that this is my favorite film of all-time and it still holds true. I love every single scene, shot, line of dialogue, and the goofy yet sporadically all-too-real moments of this movie. It is aesthetically and artfully wonderful to look at and acted and is also infinitely enjoyable to rewatch over and over. I've seen this film more than any other and I never see myself tiring of it as to me it is pure perfection.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Buffalo '66

I should hate this movie, but there is something about it that I found mesmerizing. I have weirdly comparitive feeling towards it as I do with Eraserhead in terms of the human element/performances--just watching humans that look like humans act in ways that are so exaggeratedly bizzare and non-human that it makes me uncomfortable in an engaging way. Everyone is just awful in their own unique ways and everyone is playing those awful parts so perfectly that it ends up working despite the themes on display being so overly toxic and disgusting.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Cave- You know what is an awesome movie? The Descent. This is not The Descent, not even close. Infuriatingly dumb, terrible cast (seriously has how did Cole Hauser keep getting work?) ridiculous monsters and one of the worst endings I've ever seen. The sets were great, too bad they're in such a shit movie.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Buffalo '66

I should hate this movie, but there is something about it that I found mesmerizing. I have weirdly comparitive feeling towards it as I do with Eraserhead in terms of the human element/performances--just watching humans that look like humans act in ways that are so exaggeratedly bizzare and non-human that it makes me uncomfortable in an engaging way. Everyone is just awful in their own unique ways and everyone is playing those awful parts so perfectly that it ends up working despite the themes on display being so overly toxic and disgusting.
You know why they call you goon? Because you're retarded. And you're ugly. You're an ugly retard.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Buffalo '66

For some reason, it took me forever to figure out who was playing his mother. About 2/3 of the way through the movie or whatever, suddenly I noticed, Wait--What...?! She really disappeared into that role.

About that super-unlikeable main character, he also wrote and directed, was his directorial debut, and aparantly he was a super-douchebag in real life as well. Cast and crew all agree.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've never told anyone this but Buffalo '66 haunted me for years. I saw an advertisement for it in Blockbuster, this guy looking wild eyed sitting next to Christina Ricci. I must have been about 10 or 11, but years previous I watched both Addams Family movies and Casper a lot, I mean A LOT, and to see Christina next to this crusty dude was a mindfuck for myself even though I knew she was an actress. I wanted to rent and watch it but knew I was too young for it.

That's my Buffalo '66 talk, thanks for listening. Looks like Vince Gallo was in the news two weeks ago for sexual harassment.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My sister was getting rid of a bunch of old DVDs and Blu-rays that her kids don't watch or want anymore and these were in with them. Pretty sure I'm the one that bought these for them in the first place. Legacy was still sealed lol.

Tron- Obviously it has not aged all that well but it's still enjoyable. Not great, it was never a great movie to begin with but it is important and hugely influential. I actually like the first chunk that takes place in the real world the most. Honestly a lot of the "in world" stuff is kind of boring. Great premise, pioneering effects but not exactly a masterpiece.

Tron: Legacy- Also not a great movie but man the visuals and soundtrack are absolutely stellar. The first part with the kid at Encom is bad but once it goes "in world" none of that really matters. It's so incredibly slick and the art direction is so strong at that point you're just along for the ride. Jeff Bridges de-aged face is pretty wonky but I can get past that. Old Flynn having a big dash of Lebowsiki meets zen master works quite well and the supporting cast is a perfect fit. Honestly Olivia Wilde could just stand there for the entire movie and I'd be fine with that. This one is definitely worth revisiting.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Went to see Argyle this evening for date night (the wife likes Henry Cavill and I can turn my brain off for Matthew Vaughn movies) and it was... busy. Ron Howard's kid is a frumpy author who writes Bond-esque spy novels and is having writer's block. She gets caught up in some actual spy shit (that strangely mimics what's happening in her books), there's a few twists and turns that are pretty obviously telegraphed, and some ridiculous Kingsmen-esque action scenes.

Sam Rockwell is his usual charming self and what little we get of Henry Cavill and John Cena being larger-than-life super spies is fun but the movie gets too bogged down in its stacked twists that just aren't very interesting. "Yes, we get it... <spoiler> is actually <spoiler>... can we move on?" Also, the movie REALLY goes off the rails towards the end. If you know that it's basically a Kingsmen movie going in, you might not be as surprised but it goes straight up Looney Tunes goofy in the last 30 minutes in a way that people who like the Kingsmen movies will probably enjoy. I think that's what it is for me... when it's not being dialed to 11/pants-on-head retarded, the movie is pretty milquetoast and boring. It just doesn't have the spark and quick writing a lot of Matthew Vaughn's movies have and Bryce Dallas Howard doesn't have the range for this kind of movie. (see spoiler if you give a shit)

Spoiler:
While I did enjoy that Matthew Vaughn basically remade Long Kiss Goodnight (complete with Samuel Jackson in it), I didn't buy Bryce Dallas Howard going full Charlie Baltimore for a second. Maybe I'm just spoiled by how fucking awesome Geena Davis is in LKG but this just seemed like Bryce Dallas Howard in a wig and an open top putting on her bitchy lady voice. Also yes... this actually IS a Kingsmen movie. The post credits scene ties the movie in with the rest of the series. Makes you wonder though since Samuel Jackson was the villain in the first Kingsmen movie, are they supposed to be the same character?.

I guess watch it if you like the Kingsmen movies but go in with low expectations.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Leviathan- It's like somebody took Alien, The Thing, Aliens, The Abyss and put them in a blender but filled half the blender with a lost Roger Corman movie. Just shamelessly unoriginal. A great cast and good sets but it totally lacks any tension or competent action that makes those other movies work. Also the effects, possibly the one thing that could have saved the movie are just downright terrible. The last 20 minutes are a disaster, it really feels like the editor had to cobble together whatever footage they were given and was told to make it work.

The first 2/3 of the movie is actually not too bad but man it feels like they ran out of money at a certain point. Still it's Peter Weller fighting a giant monster in a schlocky underwater horror flick so there's some entertainment to be had.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Leviathan- It's like somebody took Alien, The Thing, Aliens, The Abyss and put them in a blender but filled half the blender with a lost Roger Corman movie. Just shamelessly unoriginal. A great cast and good sets but it totally lacks any tension or competent action that makes those other movies work. Also the effects, possibly the one thing that could have saved the movie are just downright terrible. The last 20 minutes are a disaster, it really feels like the editor had to cobble together whatever footage they were given and was told to make it work.

The first 2/3 of the movie is actually not too bad but man it feels like they ran out of money at a certain point. Still it's Peter Weller fighting a giant monster in a schlocky underwater horror flick so there's some entertainment to be had.
That's the one with Amanda Pays jogging without a bra, right? Love that movie.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Been on a bit of a Lynch bender as of late. Have been revisiting Twin Peaks the last couple of weeks for the first time in a very long time. I don't recall if any of the disc sets have the The Missing Pieces deleted scenes chronologically spliced into the Fire Walk With Me movie (that would be a rather long extended cut) but both are a must together regardless. Jumping on The Return (season 3) train this weekend.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I don't recall if any of the disc sets have the The Missing Pieces deleted scenes chronologically spliced into the Fire Walk With Me movie (that would be a rather long extended cut) but both are a must together regardless. Jumping on The Return (season 3) train this weekend.
They don't, the blu-ray set includes FWWM along with Missing Pieces and the Criterion release of FWWM does as well but they're not reinserted on either.

The Return is awesome but it takes a little while to get going.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Ski School- I have to hand it to these 80's and early 90's party animals vs. preppy flicks they are absolutely packed with babes. The movies are all trash but damn there are some serious hotties that aren't afraid to show some skin. These movies are all the same though, basically just Animal House without any of cleverness or memorable characters. The skiing party animal movie practically it's own subgenera, so many neon ski suits and so much shitty beer. Simpler times.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Swamp Thing - as a kid I never liked this too much. I had seen the sequel before this and was spoiled - in comparison, it feels slow and boring. If this ever came on TV in the 90s, it was sure to make me feel sleepy, and not just because it was boring but because there's something about the picture quality itself, as if vaseline was smeared on the lens. One thing I appreciate now is the setting, they shot on-site at some swamp in South Carolina and it's really cool looking. Also, young Ray Wise. Also, enjoy this Adrienne Barbeau tripod site that still works: https://beautypix0.tripod.com/adrbar/

The Return of Swamp Thing - loved this as a kid, used to watch it very often in the early 90s. Came out a month before Batman and apparently only made a ridiculous $50,000 at the box office. Trashed by the critics, but it holds up and feels much more like a comic book film than its predecessor. It's campy, it's fun, and easy to go through at about 90 minutes. Lots of good memories came flooding back just watching it, especially the opening with CCR playing with panels from the comic book. The guy who played Swamp Thing, his name was Dick Durock. Cool dude.

One thing I tell myself every time I watch either film is to check out more of Louis Jourdan's work. The guy has such a presence in both films as the bad guy Arcane.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Man vs Snake

A very lighthearted and fun game documentary about the retro game Nibbler and a man attempting reclaim his high score. The main focus is on a guy named Tim who is super likable and you can't help but cheer him on to come out on top. The game itself needs to be marathoned for days, so a lot of the video is about the mental fortituded needed to actually stay awake that long and it definitely seems like a terrible time trying to do this.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Been on a bit of a Lynch bender as of late. Have been revisiting Twin Peaks the last couple of weeks for the first time in a very long time. I don't recall if any of the disc sets have the The Missing Pieces deleted scenes chronologically spliced into the Fire Walk With Me movie (that would be a rather long extended cut) but both are a must together regardless. Jumping on The Return (season 3) train this weekend.
Stick with Twin Peaks: The Return. It starts out very slow and confusing, even frustrating at many points. But holy shit does it turn into something amazing. Episode 8 is the most amazing thing I've ever seen on television.