Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
At least we got that animated show Tron Uprising. It didn't have much of a budget but the art direction and soundtrack were killer. Robert Valley's designs were perfect.
I agree, it was a great show.

It was another one of those shows that got canceled despite decent viewership because old fucks like us watched it instead of kids who buy toys. The Thundercats 2011 reboot and the original run of Young Justice met similar fates.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
According to his vocal hardcore fans yes. According to them they're masterpieces that only a handful people are able to truly comprehend.
Yeah, a lot of directors have a group of fans like this. The funniest group I've seen is the hardcore Zack Snyder fans. They are a real hoot. They see subtlety and symbolism in the most brain-dead, ham-fisted, warmed-over tripe. They're like monkeys watching a card trick. Just amazed at the most mundane bullshit.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Finally got around to watching

On the other end of the ledger, I finally watched Tron Legacy for the first time, too, and absolutely loved it. Almost zero story, and what story they had was utterly predictable. But the atmosphere, design and score were so strong, I enjoyed every minute. I know they intended to make a third, but actually, I think it's a good thing it didn't happen. Almost any kind of continuation from this point would end up being a letdown so bad it would make the Matrix sequels look like must-see masterpieces.

One thing I kept wondering while watching, though. Was there anyone at Disney in 2012 -- even one person -- who recognized the irony of making a John Carter movie when they had already made Tron Legacy two years earlier?
There's talk for a 3rd tron movie being made finally but the way disney is now no thanks.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Add me to the Tron Legacy fan club. Would be a good one to watch again with the kids. I remember reviews being pretty mediocre for it at the time. Olivia Wilde is a babe.

I was unaware of the Uprising show, maybe I'll check that out too.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Manchester by the Sea - first I had heard of it, came out in 2016. After a get together at his house, a drunk father goes out to the store and he comes back to find his home burned down with his three children inside. Years later he still struggles to live with himself; his brother dies and he has to take guardianship of his nephew. Kind of a rough watch.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Rise of the Machine Girls

I feel like the fact that I enjoyed this must mean that I have to remove myself at least in some part from the part of society that we collectively deem as "normal".

A sequel in name only to the fantastic gory mess that is Machine Girl features a plot, characters, and storyline that somehow increases the gonzo levels even further than the original. Too much CG blood for my liking and I sadly had to watch it dubbed in English, but it was so bonkers I had fun anyway.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Oppenheimer- Pretty good, great cast and performances. I did feel the length a little but it wasn't much of an issue. Honestly I'm just amazed that I could hear all the dialogue considering Nolan's love for drowning everything in loud ominous noise. Like I said before I hope he makes more stuff like this that doesn't rely on some lame gimmick.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Blind Fury

Yeah, it's a Zatoichi rip, but they really Americanized it 80s style almost perfectly. Rutger is cool as hell and there are so many great scenes that really showcase his badassery. I think the little shit kid is a bit too annoying most of the time, but that's the point and he has a bit of an arc, so whatever. I tend to watch this at least once a year and am still always surprised by how fun it is.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Cube- Wow this is so much worse than I remembered it being. I never thought it was amazing but I remember it at least being fairly clever and doing a lot with a tiny budget. It's all downhill after that opening scene though. There are some good gore effects and they do manage to do a lot with such a limited setting and budget but man the characters, acting and dialogue are just atrocious. Great idea, terrible execution.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Cube- Wow this is so much worse than I remembered it being. I never thought it was amazing but I remember it at least being fairly clever and doing a lot with a tiny budget. It's all downhill after that opening scene though. There are some good gore effects and they do manage to do a lot with such a limited setting and budget but man the characters, acting and dialogue are just atrocious. Great idea, terrible execution.
You make it sound like Ghost Ship.

I went through them all a few years back and still dug the first one. I thought the uniqueness of the premise carried it a lot and I still found it fairly tense/engaging.

Apparently there is a new Japanese one that just came out a year or two ago; think it's a remake of the original, but I'm not too sure.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Blind Fury

Yeah, it's a Zatoichi rip, but they really Americanized it 80s style almost perfectly. Rutger is cool as hell and there are so many great scenes that really showcase his badassery. I think the little shit kid is a bit too annoying most of the time, but that's the point and he has a bit of an arc, so whatever. I tend to watch this at least once a year and am still always surprised by how fun it is.
I saw this movie exactly once back when it came out, but I still remember, "Who pushed the basement?"

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Parasite

It feels so weird having a movie in a language I don't speak become one of those films that I can just put on in the background, but that is this film to me at this point. I've legit sat down and watched it maybe nearing seven times and have had it as a background watch just as much and I have to say I consider it a perfect film.

Last time I sat down to really watch it I tried to be as nitpicky as possible and I still came up empty. Every single shot, scene, and bit of dialogue serves a purpose and lends itself to further crafting its story and characters. It's one of those films that by the end I feel like I truly got to know its characters in an emotionally-attached way and hated seeing how it ended for some of them. I haven't really thought about a Top 10 non-Horror favorite movie list in a while, but this one is in there automatically at this point.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Who Invited Them (re-watch) - the general sense of unease through the first two acts is really strong, but then the reveal and the rest of the third act (and the ending, ugh) let the whole thing down quite a bit. Worth one watch but not more.

Blue Beetle - the pacing was weird IMO, it takes, what, 40 minutes for any action to start, but it kept me watching and I liked it fine I suppose. Maridueña has charisma to spare, wouldn't mind seeing James Gunn take a shot at keeping him around the new-look DCU though I can't help but think the only way it might happen is if Warners decides to really lean in on inclusion/representation.

The Flash - a mess. Miller isn't likeable even if you don't consider their bizarreness off camera. Can't believe Warner canceled Batgirl but convinced themselves that this would make $.

The Final Girls - cute little PG-13 horror/comedy where a bunch of teenagers get sucked into a horror movie starring one's late actress mom (Taissa Farmiga and Malin Akerman, respectively, both quite good). Some strong supporting actors as well, with Adam Devine, Thomas Middleditch, and Alia Shawkat all clearly having a good time in their roles.

Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse - took me forever to watch it, but it lived up to the hype. Great script and performances, very cool animation style, easily the best Marvel movie in quite a few years in either direction for me.

Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse - still good, but not quite up to the first one, just a little too scattered to hit enough on the relationships like in the first one.

Death on the Nile - I had forgotten how boring Branaugh can be at times. Besides being (I think?) one of Armie Hammer's last big roles before his very public downfall, nothing at all of note in this.

Pet Sematary: Bloodlines - making a 90 minute film based on one chapter of a King book is... interesting. Not necessarily good, and I sort of get that this is meant to kind of correct/defend Jud's decision to show Louis the burial ground, but, yeah. I didn't hate it, but not a recommendation either.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Blue Beetle is incredibly generic and by the numbers as far as its plot but the characterization of Jaime and his family really elevates it. I didn't even bother watching Flash, trailers looked too awful.

Schnitzel

back to basics
15 Year Member
Blue Beetle is incredibly generic and by the numbers as far as its plot but the characterization of Jaime and his family really elevates it. I didn't even bother watching Flash, trailers looked too awful.
yet you still won't watch nobody

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dark Shadows- While I'm not very familiar with the old TV series I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything like this. This is Tim Burton at his most mediocre, who is the intended audience? Great cast but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it. It's not as ugly or filled with CGI as some of his other stuff but I feel like that shouldn't be praise.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Right the rumor was for tron ares to have jared leto star in it and it be some kind of soft reboot instead of a sequel to legacy.
It started filming today AFAIK.

Surprised Fami hasn't posted the news that Alec Baldwin has been charged for a second time with involuntary manslaughter.