The COVID-19 Thread and Hypothetical Boxing Predictions

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Proof of vaccination to enter a business will be some kind of breaking point.

I don’t know that this is a step we want to take. Too strong of a “Papers, please” vibe to me.

Is such a thing even legal?

It's legal. I've seen a handful of music venues start to require proof for entry, and I think it's the right move. The responsible people can feel more at ease.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just because they’re doing it doesn’t mean it’s legal.

I have grave concerns about how they want this information.

I was going to see Primus last year and the show was cancelled. It’s on again but the venue is requiring proof of vaccination through some app.

Who developed this app? Who owns it? Where is the data stored? Is it encrypted - if so, how? Who has access to the data? What other data are they harvesting, etc.

Would you let Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, et al have your medical information? Let alone some podunk venue on par with Ticketmaster?

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
In an emergency, you can get away with it.

Lagduf is the guy who lets the guy with the facehugger back in the ship.

-Not that there is anything wrong with it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The EFF is against digital health passports. They’re far from a fringe rights group.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
In an emergency, you can get away with it.

Lagduf is the guy who lets the guy with the facehugger back in the ship.

-Not that there is anything wrong with it.

When we don’t know what the face hugger is?

Yes.

When we do know what the face hugger is?

No, I’ll be the one to put a bullet through the face hugger and my crew member’s head.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Proof of vaccination to enter a business will be some kind of breaking point.

I don’t know that this is a step we want to take. Too strong of a “Papers, please” vibe to me.

Is such a thing even legal?
I'm sure that the general welfare clause tied to a tax on establishments that do not impose a check on vaccines would be enough to pass muster. It's one of the easiest ways to constitutionally back a behavioral modification larping as a tax.

Apply it federally, send in secret shoppers to every company/restaurant in Oklahoma/the dakotas and bankrupt them into the stone age. Revoke their state charter, and auction their land to the native americans.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Instead of an auction just sell the land back to the Native Americans for $1.

fake

15 Year Member
Just because they’re doing it doesn’t mean it’s legal.

I have grave concerns about how they want this information.

I was going to see Primus last year and the show was cancelled. It’s on again but the venue is requiring proof of vaccination through some app.

Who developed this app? Who owns it? Where is the data stored? Is it encrypted - if so, how? Who has access to the data? What other data are they harvesting, etc.

Would you let Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, et al have your medical information? Let alone some podunk venue on par with Ticketmaster?

I didn't say one is proof of the other. If the dummies followed the program to begin with, we wouldn't be in the situation where we're even considering requiring proof of vaccination.

Also, I don't care if any business knows that I am vaccinated or that I don't have AIDS.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
A private business has no right to personal health information.

This is wildly incorrect. There is all sorts of health information a business can have access to. Pretty much everything is available for them to request when it comes to workplace safety. absolutely none that is covered by HIPAA

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
This is wildly incorrect. There is all sorts of health information a business can have access to. Pretty much everything is available for them to request when it comes to workplace safety. absolutely none that is covered by HIPAA

I'm speaking as an outside visitor/customer. What examples can you give of a similar mandatory disclosure to gain entry to something like a grocery store or restaurant to simply to patronize a business?

I can always choose to not go to said business of course, but if a government is requiring that business to verify my vaccine status, they are now acting at the behest of the government which becomes a civil liberties issue about compelled medical care although that's a bridge that CPS crossed a decade or more ago.

The whole thing is absolutely bananas.

lithy

20 Year Member
I didn't say one is proof of the other. If the dummies followed the program to begin with, we wouldn't be in the situation where we're even considering requiring proof of vaccination.

Also, I don't care if any business knows that I am vaccinated or that I don't have AIDS.

Too bad about all those dumb black people, eh.

Also I see the old 'if you have nothing to hide' crew lives again for a new cause.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's legal. I've seen a handful of music venues start to require proof for entry, and I think it's the right move. The responsible people can feel more at ease.
The people who feel more at ease are deluding themselves. People are already finding ways to fake proof of vaccination.

lithy

20 Year Member
I'm sure that the general welfare clause tied to a tax on establishments that do not impose a check on vaccines would be enough to pass muster. It's one of the easiest ways to constitutionally back a behavioral modification larping as a tax.

Apply it federally, send in secret shoppers to every company/restaurant in Oklahoma/the dakotas and bankrupt them into the stone age. Revoke their state charter, and auction their land to the native americans.

Fuck a multi-quote.

You used this same logic somewhere else, I'll have to find it. And I understand you aren't necessarily condoning it, just stating it as a legal possibility, but the options it opens up then are essentially limitless.

Doesn't the federal government own most of the Dakotas already?

lithy

20 Year Member
The people who feel more at ease are deluding themselves. People are already finding ways to fake proof of vaccination.

It isn't hard either, just get a small square piece of white paper and walk right in.

No one cares, they just want to look good.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Fuck a multi-quote.

You used this same logic somewhere else, I'll have to find it. And I understand you aren't necessarily condoning it, just stating it as a legal possibility, but the options it opens up then are essentially limitless.

Doesn't the federal government own most of the Dakotas already?
"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;..."

So much as happened through this language that the original authors never fathomed. Hell, just look at the current infrastructure bill and how we will tax "miners" (crypto miners that is) as if they are putting on iron helmets and crawling into caves to extract ore.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Providing Proof of vaccination is easy when you’re a privileged white patrician such as myself.

But what about when you’re homeless? What about when you’re a member of a non-white minority who has every right to distrust the government given your people have historically been underserved, provided poor care, no care, experimented on, or forcibly sterilized.

What about when that vaccine passport is through a digital token? Cool let me get my smart phone - oh wait, I’m a responsible poor person laying $2K in rent and I’ve forgone a phone.

I gotta be with Lithy on this.

You want AMAZON to have your health data?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also I see the old 'if you have nothing to hide' crew lives again for a new cause.

These folks are hand in hand with the Blue Lives Matter jackboot-licking statists.

Anyway, I guess I’m not seeing Primus because no way in hell a subsidiary of Ticketmaster can have muh data.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyway, in the age of Twatter, Instatard, and Autistbook I’d really hate to see the Democrats sell out personal privacy for the sake of convenience in America.

At a certain point if you claim to be the party of civil right you need to put your money where your mouth is.

I have no faith in the Republican Party to altruistically defend my rights. Frankly I think the current bunch would support vaccine passports were the Democrats to oppose it and vice versa.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You think they don't now?

I hope not.

I haven’t gone to an MD in over a decade aside from twice for worker’s comp things where I had to get checked out for being bit by a child.

I should go to the doctor but this is America! You think I want to go bankrupt? Just kidding my insurance is okay. It better be for the costs.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It’s all hypothetical

Duh, do we ever discuss anything substantive on here?

I hope more Americans get vaccinated.

I’ll be interested to see how the Covid infection rates play out after Labor Day.