Baffling Knowledge Gaps

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Go look at your V in the mirror. It's ok. We all looked at our V today. And it doesn't exist.

A friend of a friend once referred to "the v" as "c*m gutters".

Sorry, I know that's gross and graphic but I had to make up for my fake story with a real one.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
America is very insular. There's an ingrained lack of inquisitiveness about the rest of the world. Spend enough time here and you eventually realize this is not by accident.

Wyo thinks people lack inquisitiveness because they shit on him for getting all his information from Russia Today outlets.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
A friend of a friend once referred to "the v" as "c*m gutters".

Sorry, I know that's gross and graphic but I had to make up for my fake story with a real one.

My friend, today is the day you learned The V and cum gutters are completely different.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Songohan, does Dion have a chiseled V?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I have another one, years ago I knew this girl who was very much into punk, and sort of larped the 80's UK scene; yet she didn't know who Margaret Thatcher was.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I know the type. ^
They wear Sub-Humans T-Shirts, have no idea who Citizen Fish are, and ‘Tubthumping’ is their favorite Chumbawamba song.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
America is very insular. There's an ingrained lack of inquisitiveness about the rest of the world. Spend enough time here and you eventually realize this is not by accident.

I've avoided getting into the political crusade nonsense with you and others but I have to say this comment made me howl at the screen.

You're dead on.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Eh, music fandom is inherently a forward moving enterprise. Also, music fandom doesn't necessarily mean music enthusiasm. It's real easy to clown people, particularly those who get into punk rock/hardcore or rap music, who don't know the roots. It's truly a field of study, just like anything else. To somebody who didn't live in the UK in the 80s, there's a good chance that references to Margaret Thatcher are going to be completely lost on them, unless they research. Same way that references to Reagan are probably going to be lost on those who didn't live in the US in the 80s. This is one of the ongoing criticisms of punk rock/hardcore - tracks are often frozen in the moment in which they were written. Somebody just getting into it now probably isn't going to look up Jerry Brown, for example, I'm sorry to say. Eventually though, if these people stick around, they'll educate themselves/others who have been into it for longer will educate them. There's always a way to pull rank on people just getting into this shit, but none of it is helpful, and it doesn't help further any punk rock ideals. In the end, those who actually love it will stick around and will become less insufferable. It's nbd.

To be fair, the sound and spirit of Citizen Fish is prettttty different than the sound and spirit of the Subhumans. Culture Shock is kinda in another dimension too.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
To be fair, the sound and spirit of Citizen Fish is prettttty different than the sound and spirit of the Subhumans. .

No doubt, I just scratch my head that some people don’t know they share membership.

With how stat heavy many folks are about sports...knowing which teams their favorite players have been on...it genuinely befuddles me how little of the surface gets scratched, re: music.

I get that not everyone shares my enthusiasm about music; however, let’s say someone starts to dig Drive Like Jehu. Enough to buy a T-Shirt.

How could you *not* almost instantly be aware of Rocket From The Crypt, Pitchfork, and Hot Snakes? Especially post ‘zine era? It’s takes such little effort these days to get informed.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Yeah, for sure. The knowledge that was accumulated over years and years in the zine/collect calling era has been conveniently collected and is literally at your fingertips now. With that in mind, it's a lot easier to take somebody to task over not getting up to speed on music that they claim to love.

And yeah, fully agree. At a granular level, it's all connected somehow. I remember discussing Live at the Barbeque with you some years ago, for example - the number of connections to other crews in that particular track alone is staggering. I suppose the distinction between liking something like rap music and truly loving it is the desire to take the time to identify and explore those connections individually.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I remember that convo!

I agree w/ your posts, for sure. Man, do I ever miss going to-and playing-shows.

Naika

Street Hoop Star

This is total truth wyo. Cannot tell how commonplace this was from everyday americans who've had ancestry there for generations (Florida unfortunately taught me this). Must be the reason why most of my friends were either diaspora americans, minorities or immigrants.

What I'll add to the thread is simply about Thai food. I cannot tell you how ppl still get Thai food and Asia at large all mixed up.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
One time a friend attributed "It's better to burn out than to fade away" to Kurt Cobain because of his suicide letter.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It would be like saying you don't who Christiano Ronaldo is now, even if you don't know soccer/football you know who that is surely.
Nope. I know who Pelé is. I know the name "Beckham", but I couldn't pick him (her?) out of a line up. That is the full extent of my professional soccer knowledge. AKA the most boring sport ever created. Do you know who Connor McDavid is? Even if you don't follow hockey, surely you must be aware of him. No?

I know Schumacher, of course. Know his brother Ralf, even.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I know the name Christiano Ronaldo and associate it with soccer but I couldn't tell you what team(s) he plays/played for or pick him out of a line up.

I also cannot name a single American soccer player.

Soccer blows. Ties are stupid, a clock that counts up is stupid, and a clock that they don't stop leads to them playing a seemingly random amount of stoppage time at the end of the game and nobody is 100% sure when it's over. The stopwatch isn't a new invention, figure it the fuck out like every other sport. Aggregate scoring is stupid too. Promotion and relegation is stupid.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Ronaldo will be the one rolling on the ground.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I jokingly texted back to a girl at my work tldr to a message she sent me. She had no idea what that meant. She is 28 and I figured anyone in that age group would know what TLDR meant, guess I was wrong.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Today I overheard a Russian woman talking to a Jewish man and she claimed she never heard of matzah or matzah ball soup.

Dude got so pissed off.

I was going to say something but I realized I had nothing to say and that I wasn’t LoneSage where I could diffuse the situation and charm the pants off both of them.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
I only know Ronaldo from the Simpsons.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was going to say something but I realized I had nothing to say and that I wasn’t LoneSage where I could diffuse the situation and charm the pants off both of them.

Yeah, an easy, "UHH excuse me where's the McDonald's?" would've taken care of that.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
See, I never would have thought of that...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
My girlfriend didn't knew who Ronnie James Dio was. I called her a stupid cunt and left the room.