Avengers 4, spoiler thread

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Adam Warlock was put aside as he would overshadow Captain Marvel.

I was wondering what happened. From the little I knew about the comics, I figured the reveal of Adam Warlock at the end of GotG2 would be a huge factor in the fight against Thanos.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I was wondering what happened. From the little I knew about the comics, I figured the reveal of Adam Warlock at the end of GotG2 would be a huge factor in the fight against Thanos.

I was quite hopeful at GotG2 as he is one of my favorite characters, but they made it clear that Captain Marvel was to be the savior. Hopefully they revisit Adam Warlock as the MCU continues.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I was quite hopeful at GotG2 as he is one of my favorite characters, but they made it clear that Captain Marvel was to be the savior. Hopefully they revisit Adam Warlock as the MCU continues.

Except Capt. Marvel blew up the warship and then got KTFO'd. Plenty of space for Adam Warlock if they wanted to make it. More likely they didn't want to have to set up another character.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I thought it was interesting that they made it a plot point to say that all the rules of time travel in all previous popular movies are bullshit, but then they replaced those rules with NO rules. They can just kind of do whatever they want in the past and nothing means anything.

As for Adam Warlock, I'm kind of glad they didn't bring the weird bastardized movie version into Endgame. If he showed up suddenly, it would be even more jarring to audiences than Captain Marvel showing up suddenly to save the day. And if people hate that, I'd rather they hate Carol than Adam. But it will seem weird if they use Adam Warlock later in a universe that doesn't have a Thanos.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So who do y'all think the next 10 year big bad is gon' be?

Maybe give us The Thanos Imperative or something. Bring Thanos back. I was seriously hoping for a World War Hulk story somewhere but they pretty much Nerfed the fuck out of Hulk in Infinity War, and he didn't recover in Endgame, so - thats out, I guess.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So who do y'all think the next 10 year big bad is gon' be?

Maybe give us The Thanos Imperative or something. Bring Thanos back. I was seriously hoping for a World War Hulk story somewhere but they pretty much Nerfed the fuck out of Hulk in Infinity War, and he didn't recover in Endgame, so - thats out, I guess.
I'd rather not get a repeat of what we just got.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Valid point.

Maybe since the Xmen are gonna get pulled into the MCU now - an Onslaught story? Secret Wars or Invasion?
Secret Invasion could work now that the Skrulls have been introduced. But who knows. I actually hope they'll stay smaller in scale for a while, though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
lots of people like Thanos as a villain in the first movie, but here we see a different side where he wants to recreate the universe and becomes its god

Taiso where's your Taiso post

He was a psychopath in both films, ‘sage. There was nothing rational about killing half of all life to “save” the universe. Balance was the end to justify his psychotic means.

I just want to see them touch on the whole half the fucking universe was dead for five years thing in the next MCU films. I mean that’s a definitive moment in the history of man and well the whole universe. Nothing will be the same as before. I’m just worried the next MCU films will make it seem like it’s business as usual.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
the dumb thing is killing half the population only sets humanity back a few decades.

There were half as many people on the planet in 1970. Add a decade for humanity to pull itself back together, and that's about 50 years for humanity to be exactly where it was before. That's nothing when you think about the universe.... Thanos sucked at population genetics.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Just got done watching it...Confusing with the whole time travel thing...Doesn't Captain America break the rules by losing his virginity to Peggy?

When Iron Man snaps does he control who dies? Did Gamora die?

Endgame felt like the other Avenger movies which were pretty boring. Infinity Wars felt like all the Marvel teaming up against Thanos, which was so much better.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
the dumb thing is killing half the population only sets humanity back a few decades.

There were half as many people on the planet in 1970. Add a decade for humanity to pull itself back together, and that's about 50 years for humanity to be exactly where it was before. That's nothing when you think about the universe.... Thanos sucked at population genetics.
This is kind of a weird case where you have to separate the intent of the character from the limitations of the writer. Kind of the same with the time travel nonsense.

Even though it's obvious to us that Thanos' plan is a meaningless gesture, the story clearly sets it up that we're supposed to take it as working in-universe.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Finally saw it yesterday...not 100% sure what I was expecting.

I'll admit that I really didn't enjoy any of the Avengers films except for Infinity War. Never saw a single one in the theater until yesterday.

Like usual, build an impossible odds fight and it will take something absurd to fight back...and the movie didn't disappoint in that dept, it definitely was absurd. I do love the quick 30 second "Let's tie this timeline issue up quick" part about returning the stones to where they found them....buuuut then they take 2014 Thanos and plop him in the future, so there's that.

The back-forth of the previously established "rules" is also pretty sweet. Love how now, any joe-blow can handle the stones. Also love how Gamora is brought back...but she was forever dead...but back...but Black Widow is dead, but I guess can't be brought back like that...or tony stark either...butttt....tiiimeee trrraaavel madness!!!

It's over...thank god for that. I found the entire thing to be a convoluted clusterfuck but I'm not surprised.

...one thing, is Cptn Marvel a giant cunt in the stand alone film like she was in Endgame? I gotta say, they did a great job of making her an unlikable bitch...she may have been busy "saving the universe" but she obviously had the time to hang out with Katy Perry's personal stylist, love that galactic-SJW haircut and 'tude...

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finally saw it yesterday...not 100% sure what I was expecting.

I'll admit that I really didn't enjoy any of the Avengers films except for Infinity War. Never saw a single one in the theater until yesterday.

Like usual, build an impossible odds fight and it will take something absurd to fight back...and the movie didn't disappoint in that dept, it definitely was absurd. I do love the quick 30 second "Let's tie this timeline issue up quick" part about returning the stones to where they found them....buuuut then they take 2014 Thanos and plop him in the future, so there's that.

The back-forth of the previously established "rules" is also pretty sweet. Love how now, any joe-blow can handle the stones. Also love how Gamora is brought back...but she was forever dead...but back...but Black Widow is dead, but I guess can't be brought back like that...or tony stark either...butttt....tiiimeee trrraaavel madness!!!

It's over...thank god for that. I found the entire thing to be a convoluted clusterfuck but I'm not surprised.

...one thing, is Cptn Marvel a giant cunt in the stand alone film like she was in Endgame? I gotta say, they did a great job of making her an unlikable bitch...she may have been busy "saving the universe" but she obviously had the time to hang out with Katy Perry's personal stylist, love that galactic-SJW haircut and 'tude...
I haven't seen the solo movie yet, either, but holy crap was she bland. She was like a charisma black hole, sucking all the personality out of any scene in which she spoke. Hasn't she won some kind of acting award or something? What happened?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I haven't seen the solo movie yet, either, but holy crap was she bland. She was like a charisma black hole, sucking all the personality out of any scene in which she spoke. Hasn't she won some kind of acting award or something? What happened?

I'll say that I don't know much about her as an actress. I will say that shit writing/directing can make even a brilliant actor bad (*COUGHT* Natalie Portman SW).

I guess I just didn't get her role in any of this more than pushing a CM Pt 2. She didn't have a part in any of the other films, and seems like nothing more than what you called a "charisma black hole" tool for filling in inconvenient plot gaps.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

It starts out as snarky, but yeah, she quickly turns into a giant cunt. It's exacerbated after she gains power

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It starts out as snarky, but yeah, she quickly turns into a giant cunt. It's exacerbated after she gains power

Like the rest, I'll watch it if it shows up on Netflix for free...if not, no big loss.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Well part of the issue is that she actually filmed her scenes for Avengers before the standalone movie and at that point didn't have a lot to go on and no character development. They fleshed the character out much better in the Captain Marvel movie and made her more sympathetic. She really didn't even need to be in this movie, all she really did that was important was blow up Thanos' ship. She got her ass beat just like everyone else (except Scarlet Witch) when she fought Thanos.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member

Gamora is only back because it's 2014 Gamora who showed up with Thanos. Hence her not knowing Quill.

They hand-waved away any time travel paradoxes with the "Back to the Future is bullshit" section but apparently they're now going with multiverse bullshit caused by their time travel (in new Spider-man trailer released today) instead. Grateful to be out of the Marvel movie game before it completely disappears up its own ass.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Gamora is only back because it's 2014 Gamora who showed up with Thanos. Hence her not knowing Quill.

They hand-waved away any time travel paradoxes with the "Back to the Future is bullshit" section but apparently they're now going with multiverse bullshit caused by their time travel (in new Spider-man trailer released today) instead. Grateful to be out of the Marvel movie game before it completely disappears up its own ass.

Yeah...so on that line, couldn't the just go back to summer of 2019 and get Black Widow and Iron Man to come back with them?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
In time travel stories I've always preferred the "there's only one timeline, don't fuck it up" method.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
In time travel stories I've always preferred the "there's only one timeline, don't fuck it up" method.

Same here.

How you could take 2014 people and either plop them in 2019, or kill them in 2019, without changing 2014-2018 is beyond me.

When 2019 Nebula killed the 2014 version of herself...and was just standing there a-ok, I felt they really jumped the shark.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Yeah...so on that line, couldn't the just go back to summer of 2019 and get Black Widow and Iron Man to come back with them?

because the summer of 2019 people are already in a different timeline, so you are just altering another time line based on the rules they lay out.
.....but then they just break the rules they laid out, so none of it really matters.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You know, Mortal Kombat kinda handles this better.
Spoiler:
Old Kano is holding young Johnny Cage hostage, so Sonya blows a gnarly hole in young Kano's head, Old Kano disappears.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Best part of watching this movie in the theater was the girl behind me bawling her eyes out when Iron Man died. Had a good chuckle in the car after walking out about that...lol.

Jon