PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
This is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

X68

n00b
Don´t worry,

We will check that by monday, we haven´t noticed any issue with our tvs and regular megadrive 2 cables and we thought aswel that those cables were pasive.

We are on time to change values of the resistors on the pcb as soldering process will start by thursday but we don´t think those are needed at all.

At worst scenario we will build 100% pasive cables and everyone is happy but i don´t think we are going to need that at all.

We have to open our cables and see if those have resistors or not, be patient please. I am not the tech head but NEODEV has it shorted

Professionally handled as always =]
Makes sense to use passive cables, I thought it was a shame mini din rather than standard din socket was used just because the mini ones are such a ball ache to construct cables, plus you can't use super chunky cable.
I'll hang tight on making anything up - very much looking forward to getting delivery!

hyrulebr

n00b
Rot, thats ok.

i wont to mess your work but we are ok with everyone asking about things and showing concerns.

Our hardware is designed to be used with a 100% pasive cable.

We never realized mega drive 2 cables had resistors until yesterday, we understand this may cause an issue on some setups but we never had those issues using mega drive 2 cables on our tvs.

So we will open our cables, and do some tests by monday.

If we see the need of put a 100% pasive cable with each SD System 3, we will do, respecting the sales price without any rise.

No problem about that, everyone will be happy.

End of drama

Some info about MD 2 cables with or without components:

https://db-electronics.ca/2016/06/30/dbgrafx-booster-not-every-scart-cable-is-created-equal/

chrisr

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual, NeoGeoFr
20 Year Member
When you sort out what exactly you need in these cables, you should send the specs to Retro Access and Retro Gaming Cables. I'm sure both would be willing to market a cable that is perfectly tuned to the Super SD System 3. (I've had a bunch of experience asking Retro Access for special items and they are absolutely stellar.)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
A Mega Drive 2 cable absolutely is supposed to have components in them!! 470Ohm on the sync line, coupling capacitors & 75Ohm resistors on the RGB lines. If it doesn't it's improperly constructed and in fact not compatible with an actual Mega Drive 2 or standard SCART device. For instance, like you mentioned before, both the Mega Drive and your device outputs TTL level csync. A OSSC / normal European SCART TV does not accept TTL level csync so there needs to be a resistor in the cable.

'Works on my TV' is not a good metric. There's absolutely no question about what a Mega Drive 2 outputs, what components should be in the cable and what voltage levels are correct on the SCART connector. Anything else and you risk results from image quality problems to equipment failure.

See here for properly constructed Mega Drive 2 cables containing the right capacitors and resistors:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...e-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-...RT-cable-with-Csync-no-jailbars-/201309414919

If you open your cables and there are no resistors and capacitors in them, you have defective cables. If your device only works with cables that lack these components, you are not compatible with Mega Drive 2 cables and need to change the device or cable specification.

I wish all these autistic cable fagets would kill themselves.

funkychimp

n00b
Finally got it ordered :)

Just ordered mine from UK paying by mastercard credit card, no issues.

Anyway awesome product guys! Congratulations!! ...although it'll be a shame to relegate the cd/briefcase unit I put together from junk purchases...getting the silver rf box off the core pcb was was a burnt fingers low point..

Thanks, I managed to get it ordered in the end.

funkychimp

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I’m in the USA and was able to complete the transaction via Visa just now. At first attempt it was denied by my bank but you have to get to a screen that asks if you want to pay US dollars or Euros first to know if it’s your bank or the site that is not working. Once I was able to get to that screen I got a fraud alert text alert that I was able to verify and after that it went through smoothly. Both attempts yesterday only got me as far as the checkout screen where I put in my CC and error’d with contact merchant. Both of those attempts it was the merchant side (as he reported max sales were reached at that time.) This did not work at all earlier this morning either so it appears to be working now if any one else state side is ready to give it another try.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'd like to clarify something about my recent decision to fook over SirCockALot...

Neosd did not mind answering the question... even though SirCock posted like some sort of privileged internet warrior...

Infact... Neosd told me off for doing what I did so I'll tell you guys what I said to him...

The fact is... there is a way to participate on NG.com... and rightly or wrongly... a n00b posting the way he did is in my view disrepectfully to the project and the community he just joined....

... It's for me to draw the line upon occassion...

Basically... if you're gonna post like an aggressive twat... make sure you have the rep behind you... and if you're new around these parts... the lesson is there for one and all...

xROTx

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I’m in the USA and was able to complete the transaction via Visa just now. At first attempt it was denied by my bank but you have to get to a screen that asks if you want to pay US dollars or Euros first to know if it’s your bank or the site that is not working. Once I was able to get to that screen I got a fraud alert text alert that I was able to verify and after that it went through smoothly. Both attempts yesterday only got me as far as the checkout screen where I put in my CC and error’d with contact merchant. Both of those attempts it was the merchant side (as he reported max sales were reached at that time.) This did not work at all earlier this morning either so it appears to be working now if any one else state side is ready to give it another try.

I just got the merchant side error. Not even getting far enough to get the fraud alert. Two different visa cards with different banks if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
I just got the merchant side error. Not even getting far enough to get the fraud alert. Two different visa cards with different banks if it makes a difference.

My two friends working on the BBVA were able to source the issue.

We have set a daily sales limit to USA, just to USA
We also have a rule that blocks any transaction that is highter than 900 euros, this may be blocking some transactions.
if you buy 900 euros with a card you will not be able to buy more with the same card on the same day.

So by monday those rules are going to be changed/removed, in the meanwhile we have to deal with those unfortunally.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we have a really high sales number per day on the payment system but we were not expecting those numbers we are having at all.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
My two friends working on the BBVA were able to source the issue.

We have set a daily sales limit to USA, just to USA
We also have a rule that blocks any transaction that is highter than 900 euros, this may be blocking some transactions.
if you buy 900 euros with a card you will not be able to buy more with the same card on the same day.

So by monday those rules are going to be changed/removed, in the meanwhile we have to deal with those unfortunally.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we have a really high sales number per day on the payment system but we were not expecting those numbers we are having at all.

No problem..I can wait. Still need to get a pc-engine/core grafx...

**Stares disapprovingly at his Turbo Duo**

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Sounds like you guys have a real winner on your hands. 'Grats.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Sounds like you guys have a real winner on your hands. 'Grats.

Honestly, we were not really sure about doing a pcengine product when we started it. I mean, its a great system but not as popular as snes.

We did it cause it was a pretty nice product to develop at all. We just wanted to make it, so we took the risk and it seems it was worth to develop at all on the sales side.

Thanks to everyone for the patience with the payment system

Last edited:

xterc

n00b
Neosd/Neodev,

You're products are obviously excellently designed & manufactured, while at the same time your company is relatively new to this particular 'scene'. I'm sure there is a lot of fascinating history behind your company and its ethos. Is there a chance that in the future there could be a 'behind the scenes' look at how this all came about? You've mentioned some of the information in the forum and on chat, but I think the community would be interested.

Maybe it is just me?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Neosd/Neodev,

You're products are obviously excellently designed & manufactured, while at the same time your company is relatively new to this particular 'scene'. I'm sure there is a lot of fascinating history behind your company and its ethos. Is there a chance that in the future there could be a 'behind the scenes' look at how this all came about? You've mentioned some of the information in the forum and on chat, but I think the community would be interested.

Maybe it is just me?

I am sure we will have the time to tell a nice story in the future.

So far we are still trying to build bigger things, this is the main focus now.

LDigital

n00b
Hi Neosd
For someone who hasn’t done it before, Do you have any recommendations on a programme for ripping my cd games and prepping my folders ahead of time?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Are you planning on selling these through
StoneAgeGamer like the neosd?

neosd

Neosd Developer
Are you planning on selling these through
StoneAgeGamer like the neosd?

We plan so but we don´t have a date honestly. We first need to deliver our own sales, it will take some time until we are ready to distribute those.

Hi Neosd
For someone who hasn’t done it before, Do you have any recommendations on a programme for ripping my cd games and prepping my folders ahead of time?

If you are going to rip your games, i would recomend to contribute to redump.org

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hi Neosd

TurboRip

neodev

Neosd Tech
Hi Neosd

We'll probably add a tutorial to the manual so people can dump their own cds.
Any program that can rip to cue+bin should work, then you must place all the files (cue+bin) in a folder in the sd card, each cd must be in its own folder (at the root folder or inside another one, that doesn't mind, as the cart allows you to navigate the directories).
There is a 1024 files&directories limit per directory so if you have more than 1024 cds or hucards in a dir, you must create another directory and split the files.

It's hard to explain in a post, we'll add it to a manual.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
A Mega Drive 2 cable absolutely is supposed to have components in them!! 470Ohm on the sync line, coupling capacitors & 75Ohm resistors on the RGB lines. If it doesn't it's improperly constructed and in fact not compatible with an actual Mega Drive 2 or standard SCART device. For instance, like you mentioned before, both the Mega Drive and your device outputs TTL level csync. A OSSC / normal European SCART TV does not accept TTL level csync so there needs to be a resistor in the cable.

'Works on my TV' is not a good metric. There's absolutely no question about what a Mega Drive 2 outputs, what components should be in the cable and what voltage levels are correct on the SCART connector. Anything else and you risk results from image quality problems to equipment failure.

See here for properly constructed Mega Drive 2 cables containing the right capacitors and resistors:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk...e-2-sega-genesis-2-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-...RT-cable-with-Csync-no-jailbars-/201309414919

If you open your cables and there are no resistors and capacitors in them, you have defective cables. If your device only works with cables that lack these components, you are not compatible with Mega Drive 2 cables and need to change the device or cable specification.

thanks, i know that retrogamingcables builds good cables, i have already bought cables there.
Do you think that this cable could be good?
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Sega-Mega-Dr...969356?hash=item3cca4b494c:g:n10AAOSwstxVAgvv

Our hardware is designed to be used with a 100% pasive cable.

We never realized mega drive 2 cables had resistors until yesterday, we understand this may cause an issue on some setups but we never had those issues using mega drive 2 cables on our tvs.

So we will open our cables, and do some tests by monday.

If we see the need of put a 100% pasive cable with each SD System 3, we will do, respecting the sales price without any rise.

No problem about that, everyone will be happy.

While this is a very gracious offer. And I want the device nomatter how it outputs. Making a non-spec MD2 cable to work with it seems like a quick fix instead of the correct fix. Especially since people will never agree on how long a cable should be and whether it should bias towards being cheaper or bias towards more shielding.

We are on time to change values of the resistors on the pcb as soldering process will start by thursday but we don´t think those are needed at all.

I would highly recommend pursuing this path. If not, I know I'll personally be opening the Super SD System 3 to make it work with the official MD2 spec just so I can use a retrogamingcables.co.uk md2 packapunch cable.

I know someone is going to recommend opening up an existing cable and modify it. But then I have to make sure my cables are clearly labelled on both ends at all times because they look identical. And I've had problems labelling the console end of a cable. Having to pick between something that looks clean but doesn't stay attached, or something that looks like crappy flag but won't go anywhere ever.

Plus, added bonus. If it's official MD2 spec, then people can use HD Retrovision YPbPr cables as well.