Why do people talk shit about the Nintendo 64?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
How are people confused by the N64's joystick? Buncha dumbasses.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
bad fight game

weird grapphic

great Mario

movie of Goldeneye is more fulfilling than game,trust me

I will own an N64 just so I can have Bomberman 64. Literally the only game I care about, and it's not even really good, I just fucking love it

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I wanted to hate the N64 at the time, but when the Saturn died and I had nothing new to play (I hated the PlayStation like a good little fanboy back in the day) and the Dreamcast was still a year off I caved in and bought one in 1998.

People like to shit on N64 graphics, but compared to most of the Saturn’s 3D efforts it was light years ahead. The water in Wave Race 64 looked real to me at the time.

Oh, and this shitting on the controller is getting old. Want to play a 3D game? Chances are you want the analogue stick. Want to play one of the few fighting games or 2D platformers? Use the D pad. You don’t need 3 fucking hands...

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Oh, and this shitting on the controller is getting old. Want to play a 3D game? Chances are you want the analogue stick. Want to play one of the few fighting games or 2D platformers? Use the D pad. You don’t need 3 fucking hands...

What? Of course you do.

HMh1tY4.gif

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
Cause the intro of killer instinct is different on the home ver. Than at the arcades.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
fuck this!
my piece.
because it IS a SH@ system on two fronts, and i speak from experience as a shameful owner.
1, the OEM joypad, bullshit!
like it was stuffed in a fusion reactor and made for a genetic reject, who has three arms.
2, regarding the PAL-EUR bases, most didn't have Y.U.V. as a video output option, where the snes had it all as standard.
a hardmod for Y.U.V. (or a base unit with it native) seems the only way to get the best video out of the 64.
games are good, though a limited library, add the 64dd to the mix, or a wideboy! :p

rgarla.tn550

New Challenger
There is a whole host of reasons to find the N64 disappointing to say the least. In 2018 I'd say the flaws are more glaring than ever considering a ton of its big hitters have aged incredibly poorly. The FPS library for it is nearly unplayable now. I never did and never will care for most of Rare's output on the console. The controller is ok, but that thumbstick is not great reliability wise. I use a hori mini pad and it makes things much more comfortable. It is certainly the console I pull down least from the shelves from that generation.

madman

fuck this!
my piece.
because it IS a SH@ system on two fronts, and i speak from experience as a shameful owner.
1, the OEM joypad, bullshit!
like it was stuffed in a fusion reactor and made for a genetic reject, who has three arms.
2, regarding the PAL-EUR bases, most didn't have Y.U.V. as a video output option, where the snes had it all as standard.
a hardmod for Y.U.V. (or a base unit with it native) seems the only way to get the best video out of the 64.
games are good, though a limited library, add the 64dd to the mix, or a wideboy! :p

1. Name one game where you have to use the d-pad, analog stick and buttons simultaneously. CHECKMATE. YOU CANNOT REFUTE MY STATEMENT.
2. lulz PAL.
[edit]
Spoiler:
fagit

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I got a 64 in 98 and it was great, goldeneye was a big deal as was pokemon stadium but in all honesty I spent more time at my mates house who had a chipped PS1 and MSH vs SF.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
GoldenEye was tons of fun when I was a kid. I grew up playing Doom on DOS, so I always preferred that (especially with cool WAD engines or w/e like DoomsDay or ZDaemon ...360 degree mouselook w/ DOOM really is fun) But let me tell you what. Trying to play that fucking game now, with that piece of shit plastic joystick that waits to break inside a virtually fake-feeling octagon restrictor cage and the C-Pad isn't very fun.

I have found that any N64 game I have ever emulated was much more easily played with a PSX controller. Super Mario 64 plays great with one. GoldenEye definitely does, but still sucks. As long as you can wrap your head around what makes sense when things revolve around the "Z" button, you can do it better with the PSX design. I think I usually use the R2 for Z. Idk, haven't emulated N64 in probably 10 years or something.

N64 controllers are pretty dumb. They're not super ultra dumb but they're fucking weird and unnecessary. They definitely could have designed the Gamecube controller instead, which is one of the more comfortable controllers ever made.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
also Donkey Kong 64 and everything related to it in the late 90s was a seriously fucked up fever dream

madman

They definitely could have designed the Gamecube controller instead, which is one of the more comfortable controllers ever made.
That's like saying they could've designed LCD flat panels instead of B&W tube TVs. Technology is an evolution. Everything starts somewhere.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
That's like saying they could've designed LCD flat panels instead of B&W tube TVs. Technology is an evolution. Everything starts somewhere.

No, actually. Its just a better shape. I would imagine the GameCube controller designed in 1995 or w/e would still feel cheap and not as good as the REAL gc controller, but the shape and design is superior and certainly not above engineering practices in the early/mid-90s.

PlayStation made the superior controller.

madman

PlayStation made the superior controller.
You're saying the original PSX controller with no analog sticks is superior to the N64's controller with an analog stick?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
hop off, you fucking dipshit. But if you insiste: yes, the design is better. All Sony had to do was literally append two fucking (TWO) joysticks on the bottom of the same exact launch controller. Boom. It was perfect and the joystick quality and response was 200% better than Nintendos.

When I say "design" I'm speaking in grown-up terms. A design should be expandable. Nintendo made a creepy nightmare controller made from shit that you would have to completely redesign and rebuild if you wanted it to be better.

EDIT: Also, I currently play PSX with a non Dual Shock controller because it is comfier. Most of the games I play don't require them. RPGs and fighters.

Last edited:

madman

Sony didn't add the dual analog sticks until after the N64 was released. They learned from Nintendo that analog sticks were the future of 3D gaming. I can't imagine playing Mario 64 on the original PSX D-pad.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
its like arguing with a robot designed to create strawman arguments only

re-read the post and try again

madman

Analog sticks are part of the "design" of a controller. Nintendo correctly predicted the future of 3D gaming involving analog sticks while still retaining a digital D-pad. That design is still in place today. You may be confused by the N64 controller's 3 handles, but that doesn't mean Nintendo didn't know what they were doing.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
no, the superior design goes to the controller that was most easily able to adapt, WITH better quality, with a design that is still basically the most popular and successful controller design of all time. Nintendo quickly followed suit with the GC controller, making it resemble a normal ass fucking controller.

1. The N64 had the analog stick first, but it was the worst quality, breaks easily, and sucks
2. Sony grafted two of them with butter smooth precision right on the bottom of the same exact controller without the sticks, and it became arguably one of the greatest controllers ever.

That's the merit of design you fucking idiot. I just got done saying it but there it is again for you. Now suck my infected dick so I can shoot spider eggs into your stomach

EDIT: Again,
kR8v3TD.jpg

seriously

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hey, what about Night's controller!? (can't remember, did they release it before/after the 64?)