the Canelo Golovkin fight

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
best fight I saw all year.
but it was frustrating as fuck.
I wanted Golovkin to KO Alvarez but I have to give credit to the mexican, he was in it all the way through.
still I think Golovkin won and should have been given the victory, even if it was tight. it comes down to politics IMO. Canelo has huge fanbase, a rematch is good for the promoters and HBO.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Golovkin won...

EVERYONE knows it...

The Judge who embarrased the Boxing board has been removed... and will likely never Judge again...

She was obviously paid off...

There... thread over...

xROTx

PS. It's all about the money... if you can't trust the scoring... no one pays to watch..

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Golovkin won...

EVERYONE knows it...

The Judge who embarrased the Boxing board has been removed... and will likely never Judge again...

There... thread over...

xROTx

PS. It's all about the money... if you can't trust the scoring... no one pays to watch..

This. Was a great fight for sure but Triple G was the aggressor and was taking Canelos best shots. Triple G wanted Canelo to exchange with him but he just kept retreating hoping to box him out. Rounds 3 to 10 and maybe the Last round Triple G won.

The Judges in boxing in general are a disgrace. Clearly this was all for a rematch.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I had it 8-4 Golovkin conservatively, but probably closer to 9-3. I could MAYBE see 7-5.

But there is absolutely no way I could agree with anyone who says Canelo won 6 or more of those rounds.

This is a bigger fuck up than what happened in Pacquiao vs Horn.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Same as Pacquiao vs Horn...Its all about the rematch$$$$$$

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It must be discouraging fighting a guy like GGG. You hit him with your best shots and he just keeps coming at you. He's a machine.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It must be discouraging fighting a guy like GGG. You hit him with your best shots and he just keeps coming at you. He's a machine.
He's not just tough, he's also much smarter and more skilled than he gets credit for and he's always extremely well conditioned.

I would have loved to see Mayweather vs Golovkin but GGG came along too late and was a bit too heavy (Floyd has never fought above 154).

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Triple G seemed to respect Canelo too much that he has stopped throwing shots to the body for fear of being countered upstairs. Canelo is an excellent counter-"puncher" but he isn't a puncher, at least against top competition. Since the Jacobs fight, he has forgotten his body attack completely which is worrying. He kept missing the right hands, he landed some but not the devastating ones, and didn't cut Alvarez from making that some spin move to the side off the ropes. Alvarez was completely gassed from the 4th round on. He fought in spurts (as always) and slapped his shots except for some of the real eye catching ones. I had it in the 8-4 Triple G range but disappointed for him that he didn't take advantage of alot the opportunities he could have used.

He seemed to really believe that Canelo was going to give him a Corrales-Castillo barnburner but he was never going to get that. I think Abel Sanchez should take the blame into having him actually believe Canelo would fight him like that. For the 2nd fight in a row, the superb jab and constant pressure "won" him the fight but this time he was not given the victory. If I was him, I wouldn't take a rematch, I would probably finish unifying and being undisputed against Billy Joe Saunders, get the WBO strap and probably call it a day.

Another year he just gets older, he's not pulling the trigger on openings like he used to and this time it would advantage Canelo but just think about this: Canelo Alvarez has absolutely HORRENDOUS stamina, a 35 year old past prime fighter bulled a 27 year in his prime fighter all night long. Alvarez will suffer sooner or later maybe against one of the Charlos if he dares fight them where or if he goes any higher where that stamina will finally get him knocked the fuck out like he deserves. Now look forward to Lomachenko-Rigo in December.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Two best fighters on the planet go at it and Adelaide Byrd fucks it up. Judges like her are the reason boxing will never get to where it was in the 80s.

At least it wasn't May/Mac (fuck them both).

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Two best fighters on the planet go at it and Adelaide Bird fucks it up. Judges like her are the reason boxing will never get to where it was in the 80s.

At least it wasn't May/Mac (fuck them both).
At least we knew what we were getting going into the Mayweather/McGregor fight.

I paid 80 god damn dollars for a sham of a decision that ruined a great fight.

Boxing and MMA are just as fucking carny as pro wrestling sometimes. It's sad.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
In all fairness Canelo is still very young, won't get to the sweet spot for another 4 or 5 years. But he needs to stop running and risk losing, it's the only way he will toughen up, he needs to be tested.
Agreed that Golovkin is probably going a little over the hill, I see him retiring in 2 or 3 years time. Maybe I'm wrong.
Canelo took some 25 million dollars to Golovkin's 10 million, the numbers do speak. It's all business, and it is the way this sport is run. Which is killing it

famicommander

15 Year Member
Boxing is doing really well right now, actually. Better than it has been since Tyson/Holyfield.

This year alone had more big PPVs and more big fights on free TV than any in recent memory.

Boxing right now compared to, say 2013 is in a MUCH better state.

That's why it's a shame that shit like this keeps happening.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist

This is boxing. I doubt it. lol
At best she'll probably be temporarily stood down from major fights. That's it. By the next couple weeks she'll be working a card again somewhere.

Nah. For me just pure incompetence. If they were going to fix this that card would have been much closer, not that wide to call so much attention to itself.

The "key" card that isn't really talked about is the one by Don Trella -the judge that called it 114-114. In particular, round 7. A clear Golovkin round. No doubt about it. Even Byrd scored it for G, so did the other judge. But Trella gave it to Canelo. That was pivotal. He calls it the right way and Golovkin gets the win.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Golovkin won...

EVERYONE knows it...

There... thread over...

xROTx

Golovkin is a machine. He's incredibly entertaining, and he won that fight.

Boxing hasn't been on the up-and-up in a long, long time. I blame Don King.

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
At least we knew what we were getting going into the Mayweather/McGregor fight.

I paid 80 god damn dollars for a sham of a decision that ruined a great fight.

Boxing and MMA are just as fucking carny as pro wrestling sometimes. It's sad.

But you still got to see an awesome fight. Who cares if the judge fucked up the decision unless you had some money on the line. I personally don't need the judges to validate my opinion that GGG won the fight.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
But you still got to see an awesome fight. Who cares if the judge fucked up the decision unless you had some money on the line. I personally don't need the judges to validate my opinion that GGG won the fight.

Nah I don't agree. I mean I can concede that a draw is a reasonable appreciation of events. But if the 12 rounds are fought then you better believe the judge's scores are going to matter to all, outside the quality of the fight itself. Maybe if you didn't care who won it wouldn't matter much.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Now look forward to Lomachenko-Rigo in December.

Don't know quite what to make of that one. It's all on Loma if there's going to be much of a "fight" at all. Rigondeaux is highly talented too but just doesn't commit enough or at all. Despite his skill set, frustrating fighter to watch.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I want Keith Thurman vs Errol Spence.

Welterweights are where it's at right now. Thurman, Spence, Porter, Horn, Brook, Vargas, Pacquiao, Peterson, Matthysse, and of course Garcia is a damn solid top 10 (not in that order).

I think Thurman is the best fighter there and Horn is probably the worst, but the rest are hard to place.

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Nah I don't agree. I mean I can concede that a draw is a reasonable appreciation of events. But if the 12 rounds are fought then you better believe the judge's scores are going to matter to all, outside the quality of the fight itself. Maybe if you didn't care who won it wouldn't matter much.

What I'm saying is, what does it matter if GGG got robbed (I think he did)? Does it affect someone that's not involved with GGG? Fuck Adalaide Byrd but at the end of the day who gives a fuck. I got to see a good fight and that's what I paid to see. I didn't pay 80 for GGG to win.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't need Adalaide Byrd to tell me who won. GGG needed her to tell him he won. I wanted to see a good fight as a GGG fan and I did. I'll still buy his next fight regardless of what the judges tell me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Now he's got a stupid draw on his record when he clearly won this fight. I know it's not a loss but fuck that draw shit.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
just read Andre Ward announced his retirement. big shame, I really wanted to see him box again.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
just read Andre Ward announced his retirement. big shame, I really wanted to see him box again.

A bit of a surprise. He seems really genuine about it tho. Down the line, let's see....

I've heard some of his in-fight analysis during a few broadcasts of fights he provided some commentary on. Not bad. So hopefully he stays on in the sport in at least that type of capacity.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Anyone watch the Linares vs Campbell fight last night on HBO?
Great fight, and it wasn't even on PPV.