Spreading Neo Geo love

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I had some friends over today, and they brought their Nintendo Switch with them. I had my Neo out near my TV, and they asked me what it was, so I explained, booted it up and showed them some games. I told them some of these can be bought digitally, for the Switch.

A while later, one of them had finished Metal Slug 3 [credit feeding through it - 80+ coins], and wanted more, so they bought every Slug there was.

They ended up with KoF '99, Magical Drop 2, Garou and Waku Waku 7 as well.

I gave them the possibility of trying before buying, and they pretty much bought every title we booted up. I'm sure they would have bought more, but we didn't have the time to try every Neo title that's on Switch.

Neither of them has played Neo before, so it'd great to see people being this enthusiastic about this good old platform.

When was the last time any of you spread some Neo love or got someone into Neo?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The Neo is a very special system. It still holds up well today and the alot of the games look really pretty and are fun to play. Just look at how far the Neo has come with NGdev games. The Neo has a ton of potential.

That being Said, I think the Snes and Genny have a ton of potential as well and still hold up well today. Look at screen shots of PAPRIUM for the Genny and your like Holy Shit, I didn't think they could make Genny games look that nice.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I agree on sampling before buying. It would work better if they allow a 2:00 sample like Sega did on XBL, I bet most people would buy more of it if it can be sampled.

I hope VC comes out soon!

As for spreading love for the Neo...lol, most of my friends have been involved with Neo, some more than others, some due to me having it, others found their own way, but aside from having folks over and playing at home, you won't find me trying to convert people like a jehova witness or some shit.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
in my experience, people are never interested enough for me to spread anything. all through the years when ever i told people that the neo geo was my favourite gaming console and introduce them to it, they always thought it was ok or may of been familiar with a title or two. after my school years, i've always been alone in the love for neo outside the arcade gatherings.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
in my experience, people are never interested enough for me to spread anything. all through the years when ever i told people that the neo geo was my favourite gaming console and introduce them to it, they always thought it was ok or may of been familiar with a title or two. after my school years, i've always been alone in the love for neo outside the arcade gatherings.

Same here, Outside of people I met here in Person, I don't have any friends who would actually even care about retro games let alone the Neo. I'm a lonely gamer.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
The Neo is a very special system. It still holds up well today and the alot of the games look really pretty and are fun to play.

True. They were really impressed with all of the small details in Metal Slug 3. The death animations, turning into a zombie, spewing blood, all of the vehicles, bosses and enemies ... The game just kept on giving. It kind of reminded me of when me and my "arcade" friends played Metal Slug in the arcade for the first time. In the beginning of the second level you could shoot the clock and the flags. This kind of interaction with such detailed backgrounds felt really amazing, even though it was such a small thing.

Look at screen shots of PAPRIUM for the Genny and your like Holy Shit, I didn't think they could make Genny games look that nice.

And SOUND that nice. Paprium's soundtrack is amazing. This kind of music was previously only possible on Mega CD.

As for spreading love for the Neo...lol, most of my friends have been involved with Neo, some more than others, some due to me having it, others found their own way

Nice. Among my friends, I never knew anyone who would be even remotely interested in owning arcade hardware. In fact, I can make a clear distinction between my "regular" friends, and "arcade" friends I would meet only at the nearest arcade, and wouldn't hang out with otherwise. Once arcades died, I only had regular friends left, who were all what I could call casual gamers back then, and very few of them are into anything gaming related now.

but aside from having folks over and playing at home, you won't find me trying to convert people like a jehova witness or some shit.

Shoving things down people's throats never works, anyway. It has to be organic, like how it went down today. People try something out, love it and start exploring it on their own. I'm sure that once they're done with KoF '99, they'll check out other games in the series. This is how my mother got a Wii, as well. She really liked Wii Sports, but since we live about 50 miles apart, she wasn't able to play it very often, so she bought her own. She never bought any other games, though, but until that point, she wasn't interested in games at all, so her getting an actual console, even if it was only for the sake of Wii Sports, speaks to the amazing job Nintendo did hooking the most casual of casuals and non-gamers.

Last edited:

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
The last friend I introduced was won over by, wait for it... League Bowling.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You know...Tekken Bowling is pretty much taking from LOB, big time.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Generally my friends like the Neo, but not enough to get into it, even casually. Except one friend, who loves Matrilmelee. He was so disappointed when he couldn't find a copy of that game for an american console (that wasn't a Neo).

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
You know...Tekken Bowling is pretty much taking from LOB, big time.

I never was that much into Tekken Bowl in Tag by myself, but against someone it was always a blast. I did put in the time to get that trophy, though. I played the crap out of Tag on PS2, and when I got that Tag / CGI movie combo for the PS3, I just had to go for platinum. Thinking of Tekken mini-games, I think I'm still most fond of the beach ball one in TK3. Charging up that ball to the max and waiting for someone to screw up was tons of fun.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Every chance I get, I will fire up the Candy to play some Neo with friends. I want to get some Switch ports for play on the go, the Neo Geo ports must be the best value when you consider trying to get your friends into the MVS/AES markets. ;)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
That being Said, I think the Snes and Genny have a ton of potential as well and still hold up well today. Look at screen shots of PAPRIUM for the Genny and your like Holy Shit, I didn't think they could make Genny games look that nice.

Apart from arcades, both represent the pinnacle of sprite based gaming, logically they won't suffer from the same decrease of interest, like pioneers of that era, the 2600 for example. It'll be interesting to see how pioneers of the polygon generation will hold up. Weary and aged, I suppose...

Playstation network has great deals on some neo games right now...i just downloaded KOF 2000 for $4 and SS6 for $6...they are PS2 ports but are pretty fun...

I just picked up an aes w KOF 94 and SS2...i never really played many Neo games growing up outside of SS and World Heroes and Fatal Fury ports...i didnt know anyone that owned an aes growing up...but i had heard of it...my kids love all the metal slugs...i had picked those up for them off the playstation network a while back so i think there still will be a lot of new people introduced to the neo geo

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
A friend from uni always showed up an hour early when we had planned to study at my place just so he could play the Metal Slug games on my cab.

Friends from my hometown enjoyed playing Neo Turf Masters when they visited.

Otherwise I try not to talk too much about it. Aside from bare MVS carts none of my games are on display.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I had some friends over today, and they brought their Nintendo Switch with them. I had my Neo out near my TV, and they asked me what it was, so I explained, booted it up and showed them some games. I told them some of these can be bought digitally, for the Switch....

I had some friends over last night and they told me they were hungry. I had them look through my
kitchen, and they asked, "what are these". I said those are "Pringles".

I let the 2 of them combined eat the whole can.

That was me SPREADDDDDDDDING MY PRINGLES LOOOOOOVVE

What an over the top story. You let some friends play your games.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I had some friends over last night and they told me they were hungry. I had them look through my
kitchen, and they asked, "what are these". I said those are "Pringles".

I let the 2 of them combined eat the whole can.

That was me SPREADDDDDDDDING MY PRINGLES LOOOOOOVVE

What an over the top story. You let some friends play your games.

I'm in tears right now, thank you for this much needed laugh.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I agree that most of the popular games (metal slug, kof, etc) speak for themselves. With all the re-releases that have occured since SNK was resurrected as SNKP, starting with the ps2 and xbox, they have already made most of their titles pretty accessible to those who were interested but lacked original hardware.

It would be nice to see the neo geo talked about on gaming sites more for SNK's game catalog legacy, hardware design advances & missteps, and their three pillar approach to an industry that was quickly moving away from coin-op distribution; as opposed to just the price tag focus most SNK articles tend to be saddled with.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Nobody ever asks about the Neo Geo when they come over. It's usually either a more popular system that they remember like the NES, Genesis, SNES, etc or the infamous ones like the Virtual Boy.

Occasionally someone is way too excited to see a Dreamcast.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I hosted an arcade party for my Church's Sunday School kids last week. It was awesome, but unfortunately, only my own kids wanted to play the Neo Goldie.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm in tears right now, thank you for this much needed laugh.

They're into chips and they buy many of the big brands. But as a chip lover, you'd think that they would have been curious enough to dig a little deeper to have discovered pringles on their own.

One of them texted me an hour ago and said he bought 5 flavors of generic pringles that were on sale (nintendo switch port equivilent of pringles). I'm worried that those pringles are just going to be sitting in his cupboard collecting dust while he continues to eat
his other brands. It's still LOVE though right? I'm happy to have spread it.

I'm pumped when I see a Saturn.

I've seen MANY people who aren't really into older games pretend to be excited when they see a dreamcast.
The saturn's existence never registers with them.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It didn't register enough in its heyday.

Did it have to though?

I had zero interest in the saturn when it was current. It ended up becoming my favorite console, more or less.

I mean, anecdote shmanecdote, but still.