White nationalists marching on UVa...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I hate racists.

giphy.gif

I wonder if Islamist Jihadists were invited to the "unite the right" rally. Or maybe there just aren't enough of them out there.

I'm pretty sure the Islamic Extremists will vastly out number the right wing extremists.

Another thing I wanted to ask was for all you yanks, in school do they teach you the Americans bought slaves from their own black slave owners or are you taught that the white race invented slavery?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Another thing I wanted to ask was for all you yanks, in school do they teach you the Americans bought slaves from their own black slave owners or are you taught that the white race invented slavery?

Perhaps it is mentioned.
But the lessons mostly focus on the decrepit conditions of the holding areas, the rigors of passage, the experience of sale, the hard working conditions, the breaking of families, the maltreatment and everything else*.

But maybe they should talk more about the fact that Africans acted as brokers in Africa. Because you know, that makes everything the "White Race" did okay.

*Note: unless you go to school in Texas:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/...book-refers-to-african-slaves-as-workers.html

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Perhaps it is mentioned.
But the lessons mostly focus on the decrepit conditions of the holding areas, the rigors of passage, the experience of sale, the hard working conditions, the breaking of families, the maltreatment and everything else*.

But maybe they should talk more about the fact that Africans acted as brokers in Africa. Because you know, that makes everything the "White Race" did okay.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/...book-refers-to-african-slaves-as-workers.html

It's like saying that some of the asian and eastern european child prostitutes were sold into slavery by their parents. That guy wants to absolve the pedos and the pimps.

Perhaps it is mentioned.

Its not about absolving people of responsibility, it is just that context is detrimental to a persons grasp of what slavery actually was and it's origins.

Last edited:
Well I just find it interesting because I have spoke to people about the origins of slavery and enough to be concerned seem to think it started in America and was the white races original conception, which it was not.

I don't really think anyone owes anyone anything for mistakes in the past that were made by others.

For example, I recently met a German and he apologised about WW2. I felt sorry for him in the same way I feel sorry for people who think Trump is a Neo Nazi apologist.

We had a similar 180 in the UK recently, we had Corbyn, he was not willing to out right denounce the IRA bombings and just condemned acts of terror, he was hailed as a peace warrior! Trump does the same and people point calling him a Nazi.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
For example, I recently met a German and he apologised about WW2. I felt sorry for him in the same way I feel sorry for people who think Trump is a Neo Nazi apologist.

Let's be honest, this didn't happen, you're just pretending a sketch from a 90s comedy is real life.

We had a similar 180 in the UK recently, we had Corbyn, he was not willing to out right denounce the IRA bombings and just condemned acts of terror, he was hailed as a peace warrior! Trump does the same and people point calling him a Nazi.

Corbyn saying both extremist sides in the Ireland crisis should be condemned for the terrorist bombings they carried out is not the same as saying people who protest extremism are as bad as the extremists.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I really don't have a problem with these statues being taken down. Robert E. Lee was the general of an army that was at war with the United States, in which over 360,000 of *our* soldiers were killed because the southern states weren't willing to stop ENSLAVING an entire race of people. Fuck Robert E. Lee. What if Yaphank, NY had a statue of fucking Erwin Rommel in the town square? Or if in Japantown in SF there was a stature of Hideki Tojo? That would be cool because it was a part of history? Why do the southern states get this free pass to hang on to confederate bullshit? Fuck that.

As much as I want to agree with people holding the right to speak their mind on what they think is BS once you start to tear down monuments you start to tear down history and you are doomed to forget it then repeat it. Regardless on what you think is good or bad of past actions or people those monuments remind us of the history behind them and provoke thought as to the events of such things. You don't see Italians tearing down the Coliseum (or Roman Rulers that caused great suffering) in Rome do you? No you do not. It is not only a historical marker for the city it is a reminder of what society can do once bad choices are made. I can not help but seeing that in all this tearing down of statues that apparently promoted suffering or wrongdoing that the Sherman (Union) statue was left alone.... The man had a scorched earth march in The South that directly caused suffering to the civilian population.

It is very true "history is written by the victors", and if you don't understand that then having even more history torn down you are doomed to loose that knowledge and context.
Verbally damn whatever actions or history you want but don't go about physically erasing it.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Is that even correct though? Is their any data to justify that's even the case in America?

Their is, my friend, their is. The data makes it's home here. But Snopes has had a liberal bug up they're ass ever since are President started running.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
once you start to tear down monuments you start to tear down history and you are doomed to forget it then repeat it.

1. Show your work.

2. History teaches us that we never learn from history.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
As much as I want to agree with people holding the right to speak their mind on what they think is BS once you start to tear down monuments you start to tear down history and you are doomed to forget it then repeat it. Regardless on what you think is good or bad of past actions or people those monuments remind us of the history behind them and provoke thought as to the events of such things. You don't see Italians tearing down the Coliseum (or Roman Rulers that caused great suffering) in Rome do you? No you do not. It is not only a historical marker for the city it is a reminder of what society can do once bad choices are made. I can not help but seeing that in all this tearing down of statues that apparently promoted suffering or wrongdoing that the Sherman (Union) statue was left alone.... The man had a scorched earth march in The South that directly caused suffering to the civilian population.

It is very true "history is written by the victors", and if you don't understand that then having even more history torn down you are doomed to loose that knowledge and context.
Verbally damn whatever actions or history you want but don't go about physically erasing it.

You are completely bypassing the fact that many of these statues and monuments were not erected to honor the past. They were implicitly intended as a thumb in the eye of the civil rights movement and to make sure "niggers" knew their place as second class citizens in the eyes of the law.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
1. You really want me to go into detail of Sherman's March?

I want you to explain why memory depends on monuments, for a start.

Hope you're doing okay in Houston. I used to live in Independence Heights.