Neo Geo X: is it really as bad as they say?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
At launch these where blasted for poor screen quality, battery life and emulation. :thevt:

I understand that later firmware improved the emulation (particularly the sound), and hacked firmware can improve this further still.

I am tempted to get one of these to go alongside my NES and SNES minis as a easy to hookup hdmi ready nostalgia trip device. Is it a really shit idea? I am aware the portable screen is a bit of crap, how is it connected up to a TV? Shitty as well?

Is it easy to side load games? :loco:

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The HDMI output is even worse than the portable screen.

Stay away from it. I had one, played it for about an hour then sold it a few months later.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Fake madman, there are plenty of threads on here if you utilize the SEARCH. FUNCTION.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Fake madman, there are plenty of threads on here if you utilize the SEARCH. FUNCTION.

Cheers for the tip, but I was wondering what it was like after firmware updates / hacks. Everyone said it sucked on release, I wanted to know if later updates or development s saved it.

P.S my join date was 2002. Makes you the fake, 2007 n00b ;)

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I heard that the HDMI stero sound on the output actually has the left and right channels crossed and there is no way to fix it even with the update. The composite out can be swapped my just swapping the rca plugs but thats about it.

Demitri1983

Cheng's Errand Boy
I heard that the HDMI stero sound on the output actually has the left and right channels crossed and there is no way to fix it even with the update.

100% Truth. This was the death blow for me. Only worth playing in composite mode.

If you are a reasonable person and know what you are getting into it is neat. Just like the MVS and Neo in general, the concept was ahead of its time. Poor execution sadly.

madman

Cheers for the tip, but I was wondering what it was like after firmware updates / hacks. Everyone said it sucked on release, I wanted to know if later updates or development s saved it.

P.S my join date was 2002. Makes you the fake, 2007 n00b ;)

You got banned for 5 years. Therefore I have a longer unbanned tenure. Also nobody knows who you are and I was voted straightest member of the forum with the best N64 collection.

c6cba316bdd948b6ef3bda2db3ad844d--cartoon-gifs-pixar-shorts.jpg

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
100% Truth. This was the death blow for me. Only worth playing in composite mode.

If you are a reasonable person and know what you are getting into it is neat. Just like the MVS and Neo in general, the concept was ahead of its time. Poor execution sadly.

What was ahead of its time about it?

It's a god damn portable rombox. GP32 and GP2X are like a decade old.

Demitri1983

Cheng's Errand Boy
What was ahead of its time about it?

It's a god damn portable rombox. GP32 and GP2X are like a decade old.

Just the concept on the console/portable aspect of it alla Switch. The GP series was really cool but its not like the BallPark (i think) name was drawing any eyes from the main stream. The X had some main stream press, it actually had a shot, partly due to the NEOGEO name... But lost. You are right, it was an emulation box, but at the time (2012) it was the exciting.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
You got banned for 5 years. Therefore I have a longer unbanned tenure. Also nobody knows who you are and I was voted straightest member of the forum with the best N64 collection.

c6cba316bdd948b6ef3bda2db3ad844d--cartoon-gifs-pixar-shorts.jpg

best n64 collection wins the madman off

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

Ooo triggered. I might start calling you n00bman.

Actually I was banned for 10 years. Does not change the fact I joined in 2002, when Neo Geo was still a thing.

But I admit, you have certainly proven your heterosexuality by having the best N64 collection. :keke:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
But I admit, you have certainly proven your heterosexuality by having the best N64 collection. :keke:

So that's what it takes to prove it nowadays? Then we all ghey, well, except madman.

On topic though, the X has that great appearance with its mimicry looks and the haptic qualities right down to its packaging, but the actual playing experience is inversely proportional to these looks.

It wasn't an attempt to bring the old days back, but to purely capitalize on them by selling thrash, like releasing a dime novel with gilded side edges. To put it short: In your face, Tonmo.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Bought one off amazon when it came out. Didn't work properly, and ended up returning it. It's not very good quality.

Your money is better spent on a mvs/aes system plus one of the new neosd flash carts. Be prepared to spend $700-900.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Your money is better spent on a mvs/aes system plus one of the new neosd flash carts. Be prepared to spend $700-900.

Yeah thats what I’m starting to think, back to AES. If the Neo Geo X didn’t have sucky tv output it would have saved buying a scaler to output neatly to a modern TV, and the expense of the NeoSD ontop of the console. No such luck.

That lukemorse1 review really showed how bad the colour bleeding compared to original hardware on composite. Maybe hdmi is better, but yeah I get the message - this thing is junk. SNK pulled the plug as damage control by the sounds of it.

I have a CDZ for the moment, but even that loads like a bitch with Last Blade and later games. Plus I’d like to play the Metal Slugs past 2. Currently have the Metal Slug collection on Wii but the controller is just not right for it.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
When I got mine, the actual LCD plastic overlay started peeling at one side, that was within a month.

The stick also feels like lightweight cheap plastic. Sure it's got clicky microswitches, but it feels like you'd snap the stick if you were too aggressive with it.

As oliverclaude said, it's just a cheap attempt to cash in on the Neo and retro craze in general.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
SNK really had a lot of potential with this thing, but they squandered it.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Fun fact. The psp emulates the neo geo better with a better screen. It also does a/v out although not HDMI. It still looks better.

Since both are emulation anyways. Just save some coin and mod a psp.

madman

Let's summarize fake madman's posts:

Asks about the NGX.
Watches luke morse videos.
Doesn't have a MVS or AES.

Weak ass buster shit.