In the Hunt

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Anybody play this in the 'cades or on Saturn and PSOne?

Which version is better? PS1 or Saturn? I have it for the Saturn and I think it's a good rev.

Wasn't it made by the developers of Metal Slug?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
PS1.
Made by Irem.
Fuck you, you can all look this up on the internet.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The detailed graphic style of the game reminds of Metal Slug.

Irem made some cool stuff for the NES.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
PS1 version is amazing, shows you that little machine can do 2D just fine.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Which version is better? PS1 or Saturn? I have it for the Saturn and I think it's a good rev.
Wasn't it made by the developers of Metal Slug?
tumblr_om43dt30tF1ui1aqjo1_500.gif

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
have it on the saturn and it's great. never played the ps1 version but it's known to be the better game with much less slowdown in comparison to the saturn port.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
TONK WHERE TF ARE YOU YOU GOTTA START GREG'S WHORE GOFUNDME NOW NOW NOW

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Saturn version should have been better, but it wasn't in this case. This was an early release before people knew how to use the Saturn processors.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I remember a local bowling alley getting this arcade machine when it first came out. I spent lots of quarters on the thing. Never played it on console though...

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,

Irem made some cool stuff for the NES.

Iirc it's the same team that created Metal Slug. There was at least one other game that was like this prior to MS1 coming out in (I think) 1996.

I have to second a lot of what's been said here in that the PS1 ver. Is the better of the two. I say this from memory of playing both but also remembering the Diehard Gamefan issue that reviewed the game when it was still an import title.

Sort of like Pulstar- it was the Irem R-Type team that made it for the Neo, sorta like the team that made In The Hunt.

EDIT: Just looked it up- the other Metal Slug-like game was 'Gunforce 2', seen here: (Tell me this game isn't like Metal Slug, lol)

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Saturn version should have been better, but it wasn't in this case. This was an early release before people knew how to use the Saturn processors.

it's also in popular opinion that donpachi,dodonpachi,shienryu and the strikers games were also better on the ps1. i my self never played the ps1 versions, but i do own them for the saturn and they all look and play fine to me.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
it's also in popular opinion that donpachi,dodonpachi,shienryu and the strikers games were also better on the ps1. i my self never played the ps1 versions, but i do own them for the saturn and they all look and play fine to me.

Not sure about the others, but I know the PS1 version of DDP doesn't register a hit for uncovering bees which dramatically affects the scoring and combo system.

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
Not sure about the others, but I know the PS1 version of DDP doesn't register a hit for uncovering bees which dramatically affects the scoring and combo system.

Damn, really? I never knew that. I had them all on Saturn and never had a problem, but I've heard the PS1 versions are almost always superior for whatever reason.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I have the Saturn version but I haven't played it in many years. Not my favorite shooter, but it's definitely above average and there aren't many submarine-themed shmups like that (Hunt for Red October on the NES/Gameboy are the only other ones that come to mind).

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I wish the following games will get arcade perfect home console port:

- Gunforce 2
- golden axe: revenge of death adder
- virtual cop 3
- 19xx

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I have the Saturn version but I haven't played it in many years. Not my favorite shooter, but it's definitely above average and there aren't many submarine-themed shmups like that (Hunt for Red October on the NES/Gameboy are the only other ones that come to mind).

There's Silent Service on NES, Sub Rebellion on PS2 (cool game), Sega's submarine game also playable on Saturn port of Die Hard Arcade, Taito's first person Battle Shark, 688 on Genesis, and a great NES sub game that I just can't remember that was supposedly inspiration for In the Hunt.