MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
What people tend to forget is reliability though. Personally I always go with Sandisk cause I know in the long run they are worth it in terms of reliability.

I wouldn't try and save 5,10,15 bucks, euros or pounds with this. SD cards are pretty cheap regardless so why go cheap on them on the first place?

What I mean is that I already have a SanDisk 16gb card, which I suspect is large enough to fit the complete Neo Geo library. Is it worth buying another one so that KOF2003 loads 15 seconds quicker? :)

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
What I mean is that I already have a SanDisk 16gb card, which I suspect is large enough to fit the complete Neo Geo library. Is it worth buying another one so that KOF2003 loads 15 seconds quicker? :)

Well if you have one that's another matter entirely. Go with it and if you are happy with the loading times why bother?

All my SD cards are used in one way or another therefore I will be buying a new one which I believe is the case for most of the NeoSD owners.

Well if you have one that's another matter entirely. Go with it and if you are happy with the loading times why bother?

All my SD cards are used in one way or another therefore I will be buying a new one which I believe is the case for most of the NeoSD owners.

Is the SD Card speed the only bottleneck?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Is the SD Card speed the only bottleneck?

That and the flash on the NeoSD can only be erased/flashed so fast. I just don't see it being a big deal, unless you are changing games out every few minutes.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple

of course!!

anyways - i hope that a few ppl in here have at least 2-3 mvs originals left. and i can ensure everyone on this world that multicarts (f.e. 120, 138, 160 in 1) still work after the release of the neosd!

grandmascrack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
of course!!

anyways - i hope that a few ppl in here have at least 2-3 mvs originals left. and i can ensure everyone on this world that multicarts (f.e. 120, 138, 160 in 1) still work after the release of the neosd!

I'm only selling off the MVS games that I don't have much attachment to and don't play much anymore. I'm for sure still holding on to the games I have sentimental feelings towards (you can pry my TSS cart from my cold, dead hands).

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I'll sit this one out, but I hope this works well for those who are giving this a shot. Many have already made the jump to consolized mvs units as it is. The next logical step for that crowd would be to simply grab one of these and call it a day. It's basically the neo geo x concept, but sans the emulation taboo I suppose.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have been given a new firmware update and build of the NeoBuilder tool.

First thing first though, I want to quickly mention about the firmware update process. It's really very simple indeed. You put the required firmware update file onto the SDcard, when you next enter the UI it will tell you it has detected a newer firmware and ask if you would like to update. A simple button press is all that's needed to start the process.

NeoBuilder

This has come a long way from the first version I tested apart from a small issue with it crashing sometimes which I guess is a memory leak. Simply running the same conversion command again allowed me to continue building the MAME sets from the point it crashed before. I have reported this glitch already.

The tool now converts all the MAME ROMs except two (kof10th and lasthope). Irritating Maze is converted correctly and so too is Dragons' Heaven. The screenshot option I suggested is also in, so is the creation of a conversion.log file. It also tells you about any missing Neo Geo MAME ROM sets from your chosen directory once the conversion is complete.

UI

Again, huge difference from first version I had! The UI is much better (see the screenshots neosd posted earlier). Not only that, it has improved game title page screenshots also. The game list still does not wrap though and while holding the joystick up/down does constantly scroll the list in that direction, you must tap the joystick left or right to page up or down. You cannot hold right for example and see the list jump more than one page. Maybe this is a good thing though. The NeoSD does now detects the UniBios though and forces its region and system setting to 'bios when found'. This was really needed and it's good to see it's added.

I have not had a chance to test the new converted bootleg games yet but I have quickly given 'Super Bubble Pop' a go as Jeff asked about it (and the NeoBuilder now converts this game). The game runs but is unplayable at the moment given inputs do not work. I suspect the cart protection is not yet implemented on the firmware side thus the joystick is locked out as that's part of the protection system.

As you can see, as the NeoSD release nears things are being cleaned up and improved. I suspect this will happen right up the point shipping starts and after.

All in all big improvements all around for the NeoBuilder and UI against the first versions I reviewed / tested.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

8b26eba548924b1d6febe0b28729c308f98ce725028d94bc53566c4b03067611.jpg

xROTx

PS. I know I know... I am spamming up the thread...

My apologies go to raz and neosd... but this is what I call... the "waiting phase..."... I just entertain myself until the REAL stuff starts...

When people start getting the product... that's when I earn my keep around here... UNTIL Then... I'll keep myself amused...

EDIT: And... YES.... I see Raz's new firmware review... and NO... it's still fun time for me:D

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello everyone,

Just some short news, monday-tuesday factory process will be finished, today the first process has sucefully finished and we have slot for monday at 7:00 am for the last process.

So expect shipments on thursday. Yes we said we will ship on 15th but we had 2 factory working days less cause 1st november national party.
We will get you guys updated with news on tuesday as soon as we got the batch, it may be on monday (factory said monday/tuesday), but honestly, we dont expect it on monday, so better count on tuesday.

So we are almost there, everything is really polished on the software side.

On the sales side, i can tell you that most of the batch is already sold, and i am not telling that to sell the rest of the batch, just to let everyone know that prolly next week we will be out of stock again for about 3 weeks. As soon as the stock goes out we will put the new shipment date on the webshop.

Lastly, we are really proud about the support we got everywhere, we are doing our best to deliver a perfect product and we really think its a 99% perfect product on shipping day, one without known bugs, one that customers will be happy with.
The rest of small pending things (support the remaining bootlegs that if i dont remember bad, are about 2 or 3 bootleg games right now) will be added by firmware update as soon as possible.

Also, i dont know if we talked about that, but EVERY CART IS GOING TO HAVE ITS OWN FIRMWARE UPDATE, so if you try a firmware from other NEOSD, IT WILL NOT WORK cause different encryption keys and other things .... (it will not damage NEOSD, it will just will give an error trying to update).

Customers will have to register on the download section to donwload firmware updates, we have developed a web app to handle that, its going to be pretty easy, just register you NEOSD with the serial number you can find both on NEOSD menu and on a sticker at both boards. And you will have there every download for your product.

I hope you guys understand that, we are going to protect our hard work, this product is not a hobbylist device designed by newies.

Thanks !!!

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hello everyone,

Just some short news, monday-tuesday factory process will be finished, today the first process has sucefully finished and we have slot for monday at 7:00 am for the last process.

So expect shipments on thursday. Yes we said we will ship on 15th but we had 2 factory working days less cause 1st november national party.
We will get you guys updated with news on tuesday as soon as we got the batch, it may be on monday (factory said monday/tuesday), but honestly, we dont expect it on monday, so better count on tuesday.

So we are almost there, everything is really polished on the software side.

On the sales side, i can tell you that most of the batch is already sold, and i am not telling that to sell the rest of the batch, just to let everyone know that prolly next week we will be out of stock again for about 3 weeks. As soon as the stock goes out we will put the new shipment date on the webshop.

Lastly, we are really proud about the support we got everywhere, we are doing our best to deliver a perfect product and we really think its a 99% perfect product on shipping day, one without known bugs, one that customers will be happy with.
The rest of small pending things (support the remaining bootlegs that if i dont remember bad, are about 2 or 3 bootleg games right now) will be added by firmware update as soon as possible.

Also, i dont know if we talked about that, but EVERY CART IS GOING TO HAVE ITS OWN FIRMWARE UPDATE, so if you try a firmware from other NEOSD, IT WILL NOT WORK cause different encryption keys and other things .... (it will not damage NEOSD, it will just will give an error trying to update).

Customers will have to register on the download section to donwload firmware updates, we have developed a web app to handle that, its going to be pretty easy, just register you NEOSD with the serial number you can find both on NEOSD menu and on a sticker at both boards. And you will have there every download for your product.

I hope you guys understand that, we are going to protect our hard work, this product is not a hobbylist device designed by newies.

Thanks !!!

Thank You for keeping the forum informed... That's a nice step...

Only takes a minute but it helps...

xROTx

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
How will transfer work if the cart is sold between people?
Will the seller have to release their serial # on the site to allow the buyer to register it?

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Is the NeoSD download section down? I'm entering my username/pass and it keeps saying "Invalid credentials." They are not invalid. You really need to have a password reset, if someone forgets their password they are screwed. You should not have to login for support if your support is the password doesn't work. Any web shop needs at a minimum a contact email address.

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Also, once you're already logged into your account you shouldn't have to log into the the download section. Should just be using the same user session.:confused:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
From how I understood what neosd said in the forum already, download of the tool is not going to be available until the day the neosd's are shipped.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Is the NeoSD download section down? I'm entering my username/pass and it keeps saying "Invalid credentials." They are not invalid. You really need to have a password reset, if someone forgets their password they are screwed. You should not have to login for support if your support is the password doesn't work. Any web shop needs at a minimum a contact email address.

I'm pretty sure that that portion of the website is not due to go 'live' until they ship carts in a few days. I think that the reason for that is to give everyone the latest version of the firmware and/or conversion software at the last possible second, to make sure it's up to date. Just to be sure, I tried to login as well and it was a no go for me.

Edit: Raz beat me to it.

neosd

Neosd Developer
How will transfer work if the cart is sold between people?
Will the seller have to release their serial # on the site to allow the buyer to register it?

Hello,

There is an option to remove the product (NEOSD) from your product list, so if you sell it, you will have to release it so other guy can add it to a new/different account.

Download section will be online next week (atleast we hope so, we still have to validate the web app). We will do that on the next two days after we ship the flashcarts, priority now is shipping.

Users will have to register on that section again, sorry for that but we are not importing emails from webshop to download app, we could do that but maybe people want to register there with a different email cause NEOSD was a gift to someone else, for example ...

If we cant have the download app validated next week, we will just upload the neotool to the server and will put a link on the webshop, dont worry about that, users will have neotool since day 1.

Thanks !

Last edited:
NeoSD: I suspect the app being bound to each individual cartridge is to allow the release of commercial ROMs in the near future (such as NG:DV). Correct? :)

neosd

Neosd Developer
NeoSD: I suspect the app being bound to each individual cartridge is to allow the release of commercial ROMs in the near future (such as NG:DV). Correct? :)
Hello,

Conversion tool is not individual for each cart, MAME roms converted with the tool will run on any NEOSD. Users will be able to share theyr converted roms with the rest of the users.

Developers interested on distribute DRM games, those that will only run on a specific NEOSD cart, will have to contact us, so we can provide the requiered info/tools to distribute those protected games. There is more than encryption layer on this NEOSD function.

Thanks !

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Great updates from Neo SD and Raz =D Does the Crouching Pony Hidden Dragon ROM work on this (I think its a demo ROM - I am not sure, not sure where I found it either, but the C ROMS are 32Mb each in size or something).