Genesis VS SNES - which was the best?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It's a shame you can't use the Power Base and the 32X at the same time.

You have to take the PBC out of the plastic housing (its just 5 or 6 screws), but you can certainly use the PBC with the 32x.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I feel like they are both essential but SNES is a bit better. Another thing not mentioned is I like the SNES controller better, feels a bit more comfortable.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member

I retired from this battle years ago and still I'm too exhausted to raise my sword. I've come to the conclusion that both systems are a 50/50 split. Your taste in games determines which system you go with. Back in the days of the console wars I was a Genesis guy. I needed ports of Sega arcade games and I really enjoyed Sega's IPs from that era so naturally I gravitated toward the Genesis. The grungy feel, raw power and mature content of the games also drew me in.

As for the SNES, it was an impressive system. It displayed more colors, more sprites on screen and had bigger sprites. It also sound good, better than the Genesis in a lot of cases. That said the SNES never had a game that made me say "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS!". Years after the war I bought a SNES with a huge pile of games which included a lot of the AAA titles. I gave the system go and tried to like it.

I ended up selling it all off, it wasn't for me.

Genesis > SNES, IMO.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I always preferred the 6 button genny pad over the snes pad. It was perfect for fighting games. I don't mind using two right triggers like the ps2 pad but a single trigger on each side and 4 buttons doesn't work for me. Cool for everything else except fighting games.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I don't mind using two right triggers like the ps2 pad but a single trigger on each side and 4 buttons doesn't work for me.

I didn't like that either. It made my hands cramp up. The Sony controllers made it easier, since there was more controller to hold onto.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I retired from this battle years ago and still I'm too exhausted to raise my sword. I've come to the conclusion that both systems are a 50/50 split. Your taste in games determines which system you go with. Back in the days of the console wars I was a Genesis guy. I needed ports of Sega arcade games and I really enjoyed Sega's IPs from that era so naturally I gravitated toward the Genesis. The grungy feel, raw power and mature content of the games also drew me in.

As for the SNES, it was an impressive system. It displayed more colors, more sprites on screen and had bigger sprites. It also sound good, better than the Genesis in a lot of cases. That said the SNES never had a game that made me say "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS!". Years after the war I bought a SNES with a huge pile of games which included a lot of the AAA titles. I gave the system go and tried to like it.

I ended up selling it all off, it wasn't for me.

Genesis > SNES, IMO.

Till this day I've been trying to love the snes. Maybe If I owned a snes instead of a genny back when I was a kid I would have a different opinion. It's that mature content you are talking about that I feel the Snes lacks and why I prefer the Genny. Snes games are colorful, fun, and very well done but they aren't dark enough for my taste. That being said I'm still trying. The only Snes game I ever beat was Turtles in Time but eventually I'll get through a few more. I'm not a RPG Guy but currently trying to play through Chrono Trigger. I've tried playing this game a few times in the past and gave up.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
to me it all comes down to games, and i like the genesis more because it has more games i like than the snes does.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Another tedious thread like this where half the people pretend to themselves that Genesis held up to SNES even remotely by any possible standard.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
meh, i grew up having both so i never really needed to choose between the two. Overall though, its a no brainer that SNES had way more must have titles then genesis...Sf2 turbo, Tetris Attack, Kirby Dream Course, Super Punchout, Super Mario World/ Allstar, Final Fantasy 2 & 3 are my fav all time.

Genesis had Gunstar Heroes, Streets of Rage 2,Warsong, Evander Holyfield, & NHL 94 which are also my favs, but SNES had more overall.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I'm a Genesis guy. I like to think I can make sound arguments as to why the Genesis is better, but objectivity probably flew out the window a long time ago. At this point, no one can change my mind that the SNES is better, and I probably can't change theirs. So, we will agree to disagree. Even now this debate is exhausting. And the thing is I like the SNES a lot, in my top 5 consoles for sure, but to me, it is a peg below the Genesis.

Also, Genesis had proper fucking cases for its games...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
SNES technically is better as described above, but I think sega really has the games. There are some greats on the SNES, but without the few Nintendo developed games, and squaresoft, that console would have had next to nothing. Sega has a good broad genre of game for one to enjoy. SNES is pretty much limited to RPG's and Nintendo developed platformers. If I want to play an RPG or Super Metroid, or Zelda, then SNES. Everything else, Sega.

Sega, also had Landstalker, which I feel is much better than zelda, and wonderboy in monster world. Plus the Sega golf games were great.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
SNES technically is better as described above, but I think sega really has the games. There are some greats on the SNES, but without the few Nintendo developed games, and squaresoft, that console would have had next to nothing.

lol That's the exact opposite of what I was going to say. The Genesis is like a post-SNES nintendo console. 90% of anything good on Genesis was first party.

That does not work as a description of SNES, though. The third party support was phenomenal. And on a side note, if you think Landstalker is better than Zelda, you are probably legally retarded.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
That does not work as a description of SNES, though. The third party support was phenomenal.

THIS

If you did a top 20 best games Nintendo probably made half of them but the other half was Konami, Square, Capcom and Rare. Ok Capcom released some games on the Mega Drive but the lions share of it is on the SNES, I don't think Konami released games for the Mega Drive, Square didn't and Rare obviously didn't. The only top developer Nintendo didn't have in their pocket back then was Treasure.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
lol That's the exact opposite of what I was going to say. The Genesis is like a post-SNES nintendo console. 90% of anything good on Genesis was first party.

That does not work as a description of SNES, though. The third party support was phenomenal. And on a side note, if you think Landstalker is better than Zelda, you are probably legally retarded.

I must be retarded, because not only do I think Landstalker is MUCH better. It's probably my all time favorite game. I really think they are about equal consoles, both were very strong, but appealed to different types of people. If you liked sports, SHMUPS, and more adult-oriented games, then Sega. If you liked family-oriented, and RPG games, then SNES.

It's hard to beat Super Castlevania IV though and Contra. The Genny versions although fun, were shit compared to the SNES games. Then there's mega man. But Sega also had the shining series, shinobi, and streets of rage.

I also hate Rare. Donkey Kong Country is shit. It's a giant collect fest.

Last edited:

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I always felt wrong that "adult-oriented" definition.
Now that I'm definitively adult, I find the Snes/Sfc's library deeper and more mature.
MD completely lacks in titles like Front Mission or Clock Tower...

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I definitely played more titles on SNES than on the Genesis growing up. I didn't have a Genesis or SNES growing up so only got to play them when I went to a friends house. My friends that had a Genesis always had sonic, streets of rage and sports titles and I don't really like sports games. I played SNES way more and always kind of looked away at the Genesis until I bought my own and found the really cool games aside from Sonic/Streets of Rage. Still value the SNES more but the Genesis had some really awesome titles like Rocket Knight, Splatterhouse 2, Wonderboy in Monster World, and Contra: Hard Corps. Also Dynamite Heady is really fun.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I can't tell you which one was the best but I liked the Genny better, or its games to be precise. Lots of arcade ports, shmups, etc. - that was and still is my thing. I didn't care for all that "Sega does what Nintendon't" stuff or took part in tedious discussions about tech specs, just wanted to play them damn games. However, as a huge FM sound nut I always loved the gritty sound of the Genny a lot. Watery DOSHSSSRRRRRrrssszzz snares FTW! :D

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
THIS

If you did a top 20 best games Nintendo probably made half of them but the other half was Konami, Square, Capcom and Rare. Ok Capcom released some games on the Mega Drive but the lions share of it is on the SNES, I don't think Konami released games for the Mega Drive, Square didn't and Rare obviously didn't. The only top developer Nintendo didn't have in their pocket back then was Treasure.

Bro, please don't talk out your ass.

Konami made some good games for the Mega Drive:

Junction (1990)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (1992)
Sunset Riders (1992)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (1993)
Lethal Enforcers (1993)
Rocket Knight Adventures (1993)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (1993)
Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing (1993)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (1993)
Hyper Dunk: The Playoff Edition (1994)
Castlevania Bloodlines (1994)
Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2 (1994)
Contra: Hard Corps (1994)
Tiny Toon Adventures: Acme All-Stars (1994)
Animaniacs (1994)
Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters (1994)
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (1996)

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So maybe I just missed it, but what makes Sega more adult oriented? I never even remotely took notice in one system being more adult oriented until the PSX. There the game companies were just happy so get away from Nintendo's thumb.

I guess Sega had less censorship, but they still had their fair share compared to imports or PC. The most I even heard anything adult about Sega was Mortal Kombat or the FMV Sega CD games.