PC guys: What's a good CPU/Video Card combo to carry you the next few years?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
1080 was too expensive.

Yep. I am looking at building a new rig next year and it will look pretty much just like what you have now. Still thinking if an i7 7700K will be worth it or not.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I bought a 780ti a couple years ago now and it's only just starting to show it's age. Planning on buying a 1080 soon though, battlefield 1 in 1440p needs some grunt!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yep. I am looking at building a new rig next year and it will look pretty much just like what you have now. Still thinking if an i7 7700K will be worth it or not.

I play all my games at 1920x1080 anyway so a 1080 would've been pointless.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Still thinking if an i7 7700K will be worth it or not.

If you're running an i5/i7 from Sandy Bridge or newer I would save your cash, at least if it's for gaming. I'm still on an i5 2500k albeit with a 4.6ghz overclock but it keeps it relevant and saves me a whole lot of coin.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I play all my games at 1920x1080 anyway so a 1080 would've been pointless.

Or you could have flawless framerates now and have more horsepower for future games with better graphics in the future.

I don't regret my 1080 purchase at all, not one bit, no sarcasm at all, and no sarcasm on top of that no sarcasm. I can't wait to get the rest of my parts and build my next computer.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Could have, should have bla bla. 1371€ for this setup was more than enough.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
If you're running an i5/i7 from Sandy Bridge or newer I would save your cash, at least if it's for gaming. I'm still on an i5 2500k albeit with a 4.6ghz overclock but it keeps it relevant and saves me a whole lot of coin.

Yep, still on a 4790K @4.0GHz. It is a laptop so the one thing I cannot upgrade is the 970m card. I think it should still last me for another year playing at 1080p.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Or you could have flawless framerates now and have more horsepower for future games with better graphics in the future.

I don't regret my 1080 purchase at all, not one bit, no sarcasm at all, and no sarcasm on top of that no sarcasm. I can't wait to get the rest of my parts and build my next computer.

I'll take 10TB of storage, 1TB of SSD storage, a baller-ass office chair or an extra 144hz monitor over another 10-20 fps on games that already look ludicrously good on a 1070. You're gonna have to replace both of them in 4-5 years anyway.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I'll take 10TB of storage, 1TB of SSD storage, a baller-ass office chair or an extra 144hz monitor over another 10-20 fps on games that already look ludicrously good on a 1070. You're gonna have to replace both of them in 4-5 years anyway.

Nah, the 1080s are going to be able to keep on rocking while longer than the 1070s. Add in that I'm gaming sacrilege in that I use vsync and 60FPS, and the 1080's going to keep me happy in the long run.

I got my Radeon HD 4890 in the fall of 2009, and I didn't replace it until almost exactly 4 years later. Add in the ridiculousness of the extra power for its time of the 1080 and the fact that DX12 is coming into prominence now while DX11 wasn't even fully on its way in yet when my 4890 came out (DX10 card), and I think it's all going to be quite all right. The main reason I upgraded from the 4890 to a GTX 760 was because I needed DX11 for Crysis 3. I could have probably gone another year or two with the 4890 if it wasn't for its lack of DX11.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
By the time that happens there will be a 1200 or whatever the fuck you can spend another $500 on. Me and worry?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Gonna agree with the crowd here, that cpu will still be good for gaming so you can save your money and buy a beefy video card like the gtx1080.
Kinda hard to recommend going with something newer since it wont be that big of an upgrade from what you have. Maybe 5-10 percent in game performance? The best investment will be with a video card.

If you really want something newer you could always sell your current cpu,motherboard, and video card and use that money to offset the cost of the new platform. Get a Core i5 6600k and whatever $100 dollar motherboard. This should cost you about $350. Let's say you make around $200 from your sell that leaves you with about $450 for a new gpu. You should be able to use most the parts of your old pc on your newer one. Though to be honest you wont be able to tell any difference in the cpu department.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
After not gaming on the PC for years Ive finally decided to go back to it.

Im starting slow but I just placed an order for:

i5 6600k (this should last me a while specially since I should be able to oc it past 4 ghz)
240mm AIO liquid cpu cooler
gtx 1060 (Im planning on saving some cash for a year and then maybe I can buy a real nice card)
asus mobo
16 gigs of ddr4 3000
1 tb hard drive (gonna buy an SSD in a month or two and move the games there, maybe buy a couple of SSD's)
700w psu
generic case

this set me back right at $850

Im only gonna do 1080p gaming, so as long as that gtx 1060 and i5 6600k keep me around 60fps I'll be happy.

My old gaming computer could not even run Team Fortress 2 well, its been that long since I last PC gamed, but its time to go back to it, Sony and Microsoft are coming out with too much crap ideas that just screw the console gamers.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
After not gaming on the PC for years Ive finally decided to go back to it.

Im starting slow but I just placed an order for:

i5 6600k (this should last me a while specially since I should be able to oc it past 4 ghz)
240mm AIO liquid cpu cooler
gtx 1060 (Im planning on saving some cash for a year and then maybe I can buy a real nice card)
asus mobo
16 gigs of ddr4 3000
1 tb hard drive (gonna buy an SSD in a month or two and move the games there, maybe buy a couple of SSD's)
700w psu
generic case

this set me back right at $850

Im only gonna do 1080p gaming, so as long as that gtx 1060 and i5 6600k keep me around 60fps I'll be happy.

My old gaming computer could not even run Team Fortress 2 well, its been that long since I last PC gamed, but its time to go back to it, Sony and Microsoft are coming out with too much crap ideas that just screw the console gamers.

I like those US prices, just goes to show that in the old continent one has to bend over nice and low to get anything half decent. GTX1060 should be fine for 1080p 60hz, later on you can get a 1080 or 1080Ti when its released together with a 1080p 144hz or 1440p monitor and you are sorted. A lot of people overlook the monitor side of things but that's probably one of the most important elements of the setup - shame that all the really good stuff i.e. 1440p 144hz IPS is so expensive at the moment.
As for PC vs consoles - IMHO given good hardware and a bit of luck PC is better but its also a lot more hassle - a ton of settings , drivers, compatibility issues etc. Sometimes one spends more time tweaking the settings than playing the game LMAO.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Here's my build on PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Rjzypg

Currently i've upgraded to 16GB ram, Windows 10 and Nvidia 970GTX

Since i'm still running a 1080p monitor this handles everything without issue.

That is my thinking as well. Since I am limited to only 1080p gaming, I figure a GTX970 is plenty of power for 60fps gaming.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I know with the PC master race it's not a popular argument, but I couldn't give 2 shits about going over 1080p. My laptop is locked to it, but if I were to boot it to a better screen/tv it would go higher as it has a 980M 8GB on board RAM Nvidia card inside. I'm just to where I really don't care about the difference of 1080p and 4K and you really don't see it anyway until you get up to vastly larger sized displays anyway. I'd rather just stick to classic HD and lock it at 60 or if need be 30fps by design, whatever it was made for and be done with it. If it's pretty, nicely detailed, and stable -- great. I'm not getting into the computer version of making up for a tiny peen tactic like people do with expensive cars. ;)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I know with the PC master race it's not a popular argument, but I couldn't give 2 shits about going over 1080p. My laptop is locked to it, but if I were to boot it to a better screen/tv it would go higher as it has a 980M 8GB on board RAM Nvidia card inside. I'm just to where I really don't care about the difference of 1080p and 4K and you really don't see it anyway until you get up to vastly larger sized displays anyway. I'd rather just stick to classic HD and lock it at 60 or if need be 30fps by design, whatever it was made for and be done with it. If it's pretty, nicely detailed, and stable -- great. I'm not getting into the computer version of making up for a tiny peen tactic like people do with expensive cars. ;)

27" or bigger to appreciate it really. However 1440p is significantly better than 1080p and you would see and appreciate this if you had a bigger screen. Desktop size is kinda whatever but it makes all the difference in gaming. Look at it this way, you can use less AA the higher the resolution ;)

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Ehh I'm on a high end gaming laptop I got nearly 2 years ago, 17" wide screen on this, but it has hdmi on it, so I can pop it into an external TV that could go higher. I get the more you go the more detail you can get, but I just lose interest at a certain point. 1440p would be nicer than 1080p for sure, just not worth the added expense or performance hit to me though.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
nvidia control panel lets u render at a higher resolution than your display uses then scale it down, u get a slightly shaper picture that way, kind of a novel feature..

I use it on GTA V w a 980ti & dell u2412 1900x1200 24" ..

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
nvidia control panel lets u render at a higher resolution than your display uses then scale it down, u get a slightly shaper picture that way, kind of a novel feature..

I use it on GTA V w a 980ti & dell u2412 1900x1200 24" ..

I'm assuming this is essentially the resolution scale option in games now. Super sampling they call it, 50% native but upping it to 60-70% does improve the picture somewhat. Though going too far makes it look pretty odd. I gave this a go with the BF1 open beta recently and I found 60% was a significant improvement over normal (50%) at 1080p. Interesting feature.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
My Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming just crapped out on me today - random screen blinking, system freezes / restarts and artifacts in the video image .
Not exactly impressive, given I only used it for c.a. 1 month. On a side note it also had some coil whine (nothing too dramatic but still noticeable) and the fans made a crunching type sound when spooling up from the 'Fan Stop' position. Maybe just a bit of bad luck but would be hesitant to recommend Gigabyte based on this experience.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Well, I put my new build together on Friday, and I've been using it all weekend.

I'm gaming at 1080p with my new GTX 1080. It's the tits.

Surprisingly, Forza 6 Apex when maxed out (except for depth of field and/or motion blur, whatever this particular game has, because I always turn those options off) still can't hit a fully solid 60FPS. It's extremely close, but it's not quite there.

Doom 4 runs great on max :)

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
thats weird, it should be able to smoke forza 6 at 1080p..

maybe update drivers?